Country
    Singapore

?? Anti SAE ??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi forumers,

Juz curious that is juvenile SAE is much more difficult to keep alive? Don't know why i juz cant keep my SAE alive in my 2ft tank. Other fauna are perfectly alright. Even my shrimps are ok. Had been adding 3 juvenile SAE, turn by turn died. Nitrate level too high? haha.. please help..

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It cant be the nitrate level, cos the shrimps will then be the first to go, no joke. Hmmm what i can gather is that prob, some virus or bacteria that is specificallly attacking the SAE is present in your tank. Hmmm any other tank spec? If really got virus, dont get any SAE for a while first leave for a few months later
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipians
    It cant be the nitrate level, cos the shrimps will then be the first to go, no joke. Hmmm what i can gather is that prob, some virus or bacteria that is specificallly attacking the SAE is present in your tank. Hmmm any other tank spec? If really got virus, dont get any SAE for a while first leave for a few months later
    Virus? If really is virus, i think i cant keep SAE in my tank forever. Unless i manage to kill this virus. What i worried is that is the SAE prefer different water spec compare with the other fauna. Sorry, I do not have measuring kit, so I cant provide u guys any other tank spec.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the virus thingy is just a postulation on my part i m not sure man. But even if virus along as no host for a while it would all die off, thats why suggest you stop for a while buy them a few weeks later
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hirowen
    Hi forumers,

Juz curious that is juvenile SAE is much more difficult to keep alive? Don't know why i juz cant keep my SAE alive in my 2ft tank. Other fauna are perfectly alright. Even my shrimps are ok. Had been adding 3 juvenile SAE, turn by turn died. Nitrate level too high? haha.. please help..
    How long did they take to die? How do they look when they die? Did they take pellets? Is there enough algae for it to eat? Did you condition the fish (young fish are very sensitive to changes in water parameters)?

There can be many factors.

/John

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipians
    the virus thingy is just a postulation on my part i m not sure man. But even if virus along as no host for a while it would all die off, thats why suggest you stop for a while buy them a few weeks later
    the first time i bought was 1-2 months back...after few days, the 2 SAE turn by turn died. then a week ago i bought 2 again. these 2 lasted for 3-4 days. my yamato nvr seems to eat hair algae. thats y i decided to buy SAE.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc
    How long did they take to die? How do they look when they die? Did they take pellets? Is there enough algae for it to eat? Did you condition the fish (young fish are very sensitive to changes in water parameters)?

There can be many factors.

/John
    3-5days. Well when i found their bodies, it already turn white pale and stiff. 1 of it the stomach is opened. dont know whether it is rotten or been biten by other fish. nvr see they take pellet food. hair algae is definitely enuff for them. yup i did condition the fish, left the bag floated in my tank for 20 mins, then i slowly add in water into the bag to make it 50-50.

i keeping...
    -lamp eyes
    -oto
    -malayan n yamato
    -cardinal
    -black neon
    -harlequin
    -golden algae eater
    -chinese algae eater

if its really been biten or stressed to death, probably is the golden n chinese algae eater. but even my shrimps are ok..so i ruled this out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah... I would suspect the Golden and Chinese algae eaters... These fellas are very territorial and agressive to fish that look alike... Your SAEs very small? They sure kena bully... 2ft tank not very big for the SAEs to keep away from them...

Personally, I find the so called algae eaters that you have now are not true algae eaters... They prefer the body slime of other fish and can be very rowdy and agressive in sucking off the sides of their tankmates...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Ah... I would suspect the Golden and Chinese algae eaters... These fellas are very territorial and agressive to fish that look alike... Your SAEs very small? They sure kena bully... 2ft tank not very big for the SAEs to keep away from them...

Personally, I find the so called algae eaters that you have now are not true algae eaters... They prefer the body slime of other fish and can be very rowdy and agressive in sucking off the sides of their tankmates...
    yup, juvenile one which i bought from NA. Haha. but i m quite surprise that my oto can survive cuz it also quite pretty small.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Algae eaters would probably have ignored the otos cos they looked different... The next time you introduce the SAEs, observe the reactions of the algae eaters to confirm whether they are harrassing the SAEs...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...