Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Aquarium hobbyist's wishes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Starting this thread to pick on fellow hobbyists' brains to come up with a wish list.

To start the ball rollinng; bring back Van Cliff Aquarium (used to be near the current Liang Court). Very nice setups and beautiful fishes, including a tankful of piranhas at the entrance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That would be Van Kleef Aquarium I think. Yes, it should be brought back. I remember seeing the piranha tank as a small kid. Too bad it closed down. Is the building still there?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nothing there liao... I remembered the last time I visited the place... Some of the fish are not placed with the right tankmates and conditions leh... Just like the Sentosa Underwater World's freshwater section... Seems like the staff are either not interested or not knowledgeable...

Wishes? I would wish for a fresh water underwater world... kept at the right conditions and with the fish in the right biotope representations...

Also would wish that LFSs are owned and staffed by hobbyists... They should stop selling tankbusters, Malawis/Tanyanyikans, jewel cichlids, oscars, brackish water species as cute community fish...

Also wish that there will not be anymore people interested in keeping dyed fish, tatooed fish and awfully deformed fish (NOT personal attacks ah, but I think ballons, excessive long fins etc are bad as they affect swimming)...

Is 3 enough?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    NATURE AQUARIUM GALLERY, Niigata to be in Singapore instead

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aahhh.... Van Cleef Aquarium. The last time i went there was with my parents when i was in primary school. I haven't been to Sentosa Underwater World yet but my impression is that most of their exhibits are marine water setups. I still remember the pirana tank and also the freshwater crocodile tank at the main enterance.

My wish would be : 1. To have another Van Cleef style concept with a retail store together in singapore. Can look at all the exhibits and when see until steam liao can buy from them 2. A one stop shop selling dogs, cats, fishes, hamsters, snakes, lizards/geckos etc etc. (something like in the US or Britain) with all sorts of pet accessories. Something a bit different from
    Pet Safari. 3. Have more knowledgeable lfs owners (had enough of all those bulls**t artiste)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mixed pet shop?

Quote Originally Posted by aquarius
    Aahhh.... Van Cleef Aquarium. The last time i went there was with my parents when i was in primary school. I haven't been to Sentosa Underwater World yet but my impression is that most of their exhibits are marine water setups. I still remember the pirana tank and also the freshwater crocodile tank at the main enterance.

My wish would be : 1. To have another Van Cleef style concept with a retail store together in singapore. Can look at all the exhibits and when see until steam liao can buy from them 2. A one stop shop selling dogs, cats, fishes, hamsters, snakes, lizards/geckos etc etc. (something like in the US or Britain) with all sorts of pet accessories. Something a bit different from
    Pet Safari. 3. Have more knowledgeable lfs owners (had enough of all those bulls**t artiste)
    I don't think a mixed pet shop will be a good idea given that the current virulent H5N1 bird flu probably mutated form such environment where animals are crowded withthe fowls.

Let's just imagine that we can persuade one of the local farm to allocate a hobbyist corner... what can we do?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Being the young guy I'm going to ask what on earth is van cleef aquarium? Was it a petshop or a public aquarium? And the underwater world has a freshwater section?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Van Kleef Aquarium was a public aquarium located opposite Liang Court. It was before the time of Sentosa's Underwater World. Must have been closed during the 80's. I remember visiting it, even on the last day of their operations. It's a shame that they close.

For me, I do wish for a world class aquarium to be open in Singapore. Actually, given that Singapore accounts a substantial percentage of the total global ornamental fish export, I wonder why they wouldn't commit resources to one.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Because it's not glamorous as "life sciences".
    Because it has nothing to do with "our culture and roots".
    Because the environment takes a back seat to the economy.
    Because our would rather have a tried and tested meathod borrowed from someone else.
    Because barely anyone knows about freshwater aquascaping.
    Because we as singaporeans haven't asked for one.
    Because we seem to be alergic to niche markets... no matter how profitable or easy

*hint, read my nick upside down

Government batting aside. Wow! seems like alot of the older board members went there... is it safe to assume that's what led you guys to the aquarium hobby?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there was something even more interesting next to van cleef aquarium.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I only remembered the stone walls of the aquarium where you have a feeling of walking through some cave...

Very vague memories of the place... think was only 4 years old when i went there... hahaha...

choy, u referring to the swimming pool ar?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice
    choy, u referring to the swimming pool ar?

nope. on the other side.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Liang Court?? Choy like shopping also ah?

XnSdVd, as you grow older, you might appreciate the fact of economy's importance. But of course that still does not make it more important than our environment... But we have limited resources... Ok, get back to topic...

Yes, there is a fresh water section at Underwater World, Sentosa. But if I have a say, I'll say, the KLCC verison is MUCH better....

Nope, I was not attracted to fish keeping by being at Van Cleef... I was attracted by angels and guppies swimming...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Liang Court?? Choy like shopping also ah?
    no lah. on the left of the aquarium. surely you're old enough to remember

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Err, no?... I only recalled the swimming pool, Lang Court, Fort Canning, the Indian temple...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The National Theatre?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah, that is a long time ago liao!! I had a picture taken there, I think... When I was like 3 years old! Think it was torn down way when I was in primary school... But how exciting was that place?? Like Clark Quay's Crazy Horse?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    The National Theatre?
    No wonder i dun remember that! I was too young to go there...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a very interesting building with strong symbolism and rare uses of a cantilever roof. remember the four diamond shaped facade (representing the four main races) soaring skywards and a crescent moon fountain in front.

I took my violin lessons there as a kid, even performed on stage heehee.

more importantly it was build by public funding with taxi drivers (or was it trishaw riders) doing fund-raising rides. buy a brick campaign etc.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My wish? To relocate the farms to a more accessible place . But that will bring LFSes down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast