Images
    Country
    Singapore

ADA Powder

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Saw these bags of ADA Amazonian powder soil at Keong Seong. I thought it looks a whole lot more natural compared to the ADA pellets, and I wanted to purchase it to try.

However, I remember reading previously that the normal ADA pellet soils break down to form a powder that will rise up and coat everything in a brown muck when disturbed. If that is the case, then wouldn't this powder soil the water immediately. Then who will buy it, or what is it used for?

I believe ADA won't put out a product that cannot be used -- they have a reputation to keep. So there have to be some use in this soil. Has anyone tried it on its own? Is it better than the pellet form in keeping its form? Or is it a basefert? Any caveats?

Pardon the newbie questions if it sounds foolish. (As I type this I'm thinking to myself, that maybe this powder type soil is meant to go below the pellet type and not in place of the pellet type). I have been using inert lonestar gravel all along, therefore have no experience with these expensive soils, but this time as I'm setting up a 1ft cube, I think I can afford a little bit of ADA. But money hard to earn so I have to spend wisely, so I'm seeking the collective wisdom and experience of this forum first.

Thanks in advance for all your replies
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If I remember correctly, ADA does have 2 grades of Aquasoil. One in pellet form and the other is finer. I think I read about it somewhere in an Aqua Journal. ADA stuff does have NH3/NH4 in them so try not to move things around after setup. Remember to add established "mulm" to the filter and bottom of the substrate would help kick start things as well as pack the tank with weeds.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The finer version (which is the one you saw) is purely for asthetic purpose, where one might want to have a bare foreground. I believe it doesn't break down faster than the normal Aquasoil. I also believe it's meant as a topsoil layer.

One thing with Aquasoil, I believe that if you do not rescape so often, it stays intact. More recommended for experience scapers I think, since rescaping almost always ruins it completely.

Power sand and Aquasoil were made for each other. ADA doesn't recommend use of Aquasoil without Powersand.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    mmm,
    for 'ADA amazonia powder'[trade name, it's more like sugar granule size]...is better to plant small fg plants, not as base fert!
    if you have ever used other heavier or chunkier gravel you will know why.
    if you stab a small glosso plant in with sharp tweezers[critical ime], it won't float off as easily or get damaged by bigger/rough gravel. not a miracle soil but one that works very well...

i've heard it generally stays in this small 'powder' for 2 years depending how often you rescape, can't comment as i only have 6 months xp using this. when the 'powder' is agitated it quickly settles down...and doesn't cloud the water much, even if, it clears up quickly IME. so far it hasn't broken up to form brown muck. Amazonia is charcoal colour. Africana is the brown version...

so far no complaints except the regular ADA amazonia is too big to plant glosso IME and more suited to base layer or bigger plants generally...for bigger tanks.

ADA Amazonia powder is perfect for your 1 ft cube, even without powersand [which is some beneficial bacteria added]

A cheaper alternative is using black quartz with a base fert of your choice...
    it's shiny and blacker than amazonia powder...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the replies.

I went to get the 1 ft cube and decided to splurge on the 10mm glass version purely for aesthetics. I hope the glass will not distort the view too much when water is added, but it is really nice even when empty.

I was also pleasantly surprised that NA will sell you a partial bag of ADA. so I bought 1 kg of powersand (which looks more like chips than sand) and 4kg of Amazonia. Unfortunately, Mr Chan doesn't have the Amazonia powder version.

With 13 watts PL, I'm thinking HC, C. parva, and hairgrass on the front. Maybe some C. retrospiralis for the colour and height behind some stones set on a slope.

Is it possible with such low light and no CO2 to grow these plants? I'm setting this in the office, so cannot fiddle with water change, daily dosing etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    hi lawrence,

hmmm...you may be just able to grow the hc[slow] but you need co2...get one of those powder thing or diy yourself...will help lessen algae probs.
    other option is seachem excel as co2 sub.
    check out some brother's thread on how to grow it...quite a challenge with regular amazonia...[too big!]

crypts are very slow growers but excellent plants[me crypt crazy too]
    consider moss...taiwan/sing/x'mas are very attractive for nanos...

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by standoyo
    hmmm...you may be just able to grow the hc[slow] but you need co2...get one of those powder thing or diy yourself...will help lessen algae probs.
    other option is seachem excel as co2 sub.
    I'm using excel in my other non CO2 moss tanks, so that is a standby weapon. However, I was hoping for a really Non-CO2 setup. You know, No CO2, no water change, no fertilisation, no filter... that kind of tank. Its ok if they grow slow. With a small tank, I can afford to plant densely... All I ask is that algae doesn't come knocking, and the plants don't rot away.

Quote Originally Posted by standoyo
    crypts are very slow growers but excellent plants[me crypt crazy too]
    consider moss...taiwan/sing/x'mas are very attractive for nanos...
    Ya, I chose crypts because of the slow growth, and also for their roots to hold the gravel from levelling (I want to make a slope like Amano's here: http://www.aguajournal.jp/aqua/Program/afcon/afcon4.htm and always mine will level out) But I heard that C. parva is a high light plant, so not sure if it will survive the 13 watt lamp's output.

I'm a new admirer of crypts - I used to think they look ugly. Then one day I saw some of their flowers and realised that they are really unique and so I'm hooked. The more I search the web for more info, the more I realise I've been trampling these plants in the past when I go wading in Malaysian forests to cast a lure for Kalui. Now kena pay $4.00 a pot! Heart pain.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    good to know you are into crypts, i thought they look ugly too a year back.
    now i'm paying $ from rare ones found in sarawak.

no reason it's not possible to keep the parva. mine is doing well under a driftwood away from direct light.
    since your water is shallow, should be ok...

algae luckily will not appear so quickly in relatively low light tank...
    maybe you can try some plants that will grow out of water...those will really be non co2...
    Last edited by StanChung; 4th Nov 2005 at 19:41.