Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Canister Filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I am looking for a canister filter for a 4 x2 x2 tank. Though the China-made filters are cheap, I am giving them a miss after hearing all the problems. Call me a paranoid, but past reports on fire started by China-made air pumps, aren't helping. Hmmm, come to think of it, why isn't electrical aquarium products certified by PSB? I think I will save for a Eheim. Any suggestion on the model that would suit me? Is one with a 4 filter baskets necessary? Tks and cheers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You will need at least an Ecco 2236 or Pro II 2026. I would suggest getting 2 units, or another power head to cover dead corner.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Personally, I prefer Eheim for typical German quality. They are electricity-efficient too.

Lots of used ones available...
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tks. But wouldn't using a power head caused more aeration and dissipate the CO2 quickly? I understand the logic of having 2 filters instead of only one. But if using 2 filters, must EACH of them be capable of filtering thrice the water volume, or the workload can be shared between the two, i.e buying 2 "undersized" filters instead of 1 which is capable of handling the job alone. BTW am I correct that in a new tank, activated carbon should not be used? Regards.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    in a new tank, activated carbon are recommended to be used (to clear the water more quickly), then, after their lifespan have ended, do not replace with new carbon as in a planted tank they will adsorb the essential nutrients , moreover, activated carbon are porous and have large surface area and can be used as biological filter media....so it will be an automatic switch from chemical to biological....

as for filter for 4 ft tank, u can use a combination of a small canister (eheim 2213) with big canister (eheim 2028 0r 2026)...i think should be sufficient....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    for a 4x2x2.. better get 2028 instead. then you can add on whatever other filter you want

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all, sorry borrow this thread.

How much does a Eheim 2028 cost?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by johannes
    in a new tank, activated carbon are recommended to be used (to clear the water more quickly), then, after their lifespan have ended, do not replace with new carbon as in a planted tank they will adsorb the essential nutrients , moreover, activated carbon are porous and have large surface area and can be used as biological filter media....so it will be an automatic switch from chemical to biological....

as for filter for 4 ft tank, u can use a combination of a small canister (eheim 2213) with big canister (eheim 2028 0r 2026)...i think should be sufficient....
    Carbon's primary purpose is to remove odours, and remove medications. No one medicates constantly, so that rules out reason #2.
    Normal water changes should keep a tank smelling clean, thus removing the need for #1.

Why spend the money and take the time to use it when it's not needed?

it does work well to clear up water that are "stained" by tannins released from wood. if used, once the water clears up, remove the carbon.

for bio filtration, get some biohome.
    carbon as biofiltration media... i don't think so...
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mordrake
    Carbon's primary purpose is to remove odours, and remove medications. No one medicates constantly, so that rules out reason #2.
    Normal water changes should keep a tank smelling clean, thus removing the need for #1.

Why spend the money and take the time to use it when it's not needed?

it does work well to clear up water that are "stained" by tannins released from wood. if used, once the water clears up, remove the carbon.

for bio filtration, get some biohome.
    carbon as biofiltration media... i don't think so...
    yeah....the bacteria can colonize those areas....carbon very porous ...like eheim substrate pro....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by johannes
    yeah....the bacteria can colonize those areas....carbon very porous ...like eheim substrate pro....
    Agreed with Mordrake.
    If my memory serve me well, I read some where that once the carbon media reach its saturation point, it lost its ability to absorb and might release some of the chemical it had absorbed.
    Therefore, I do not think that it automatically transform from chemical to biological media.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe i overlooked the fact that it may release back the chemicals... sorry....about that...cos i read from somewhere and it was quite a reputable source...

however just want to clear some doubt....that carbon act by aDsorption... .....not aBsorption...