Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to Ship Aquarium Fishes to US?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How to Ship Aquarium Fishes to US?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Has anyone done this before? Need to find out how and how much.

Thanks,
    Weirong
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A tedious process. Check with Lyon a.k.a sky devil. The betta guys usually ships fishes there for competition. Prepare to pay big bucks too.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Speedpost.....my friend does it from China.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTree
    Speedpost.....my friend does it from China.
    Ok, Speedpost...
    But how do you pack the fish to ensure its survival?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirong
    Ok, Speedpost...
    But how do you pack the fish to ensure its survival?
    Too vague a question to give you a proper answer. Why do you tell us what you want to ship? How many pieces? Where you want to ship to? etc etc.

Better advice will come with specific queries.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you go by Speedpost be prepared for the shipment to be seized. Do not think about sending live fishes through the mail to the USA. The US Fish and Wildlife Service has been destroying lots of packages from Asia containing live animals, including fish, without the proper export and import papers done and this is directly from information coming from my friends in the US.

Save yourself the trouble and hassle of getting a package rejected. If it was sent back to you, you'll probably get a warning letter from Singpost. Should you repeat the same thing again, you might be given a fine and also a jail term.

It is against the law to send live fishes through the mail. I'm not trying to be a damper here but this is for your own good.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    If you go by Speedpost be prepared for the shipment to be seized. Do not think about sending live fishes through the mail to the USA. The US Fish and Wildlife Service has been destroying lots of packages from Asia containing live animals, including fish, without the proper export and import papers done and this is directly from information coming from my friends in the US.

Save yourself the trouble and hassle of getting a package rejected. If it was sent back to you, you'll probably get a warning letter from Singpost. Should you repeat the same thing again, you might be given a fine and also a jail term.

It is against the law to send live fishes through the mail. I'm not trying to be a damper here but this is for your own good.
    I am not trying anything illegal here. But I do know that it is still possible to send live fishes to the US through legal means and I am asking how.

I am looking to send about 20 live Bettas to US and I need to know how to pack them and send them to ensure a high survival rate.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you intend to go through the legal means you will need to apply for an export permit to send the fishes out by air freight. This export permit will require alot of conditions for us to meet, like having a QT area etc., and it is very difficult to be obtained for hobbyists that do not own a farm or shop.

It would be best for you to contact a local fish farm to help you in exporting the fishes out of SG, and also to find a contact on the US side for a certified transhipper to receive the fishes from your exporter, and then to re-ship the fish within the US to the final destination.

The bettas are naturally air-breathers so they will need a fair amount of air in the usual polyethylene plastic bags. You should pack them in a sturdy styrofoam box, which should then be placed into a cardboard box. This happens to be a requirement for US-bound shipments if I remember correctly. There must be some form of absorbent material like newspapers etc. in the box to absorb any leakages because they will not accept leaking boxes. Another thing to take note of is the time taken for the box to travel from SG to the US and then to the final destination, and also the temperature of the area they are heading to. Parts of the US are experiencing cold weather right now so the bettas may not survive the journey.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    If you intend to go through the legal means you will need to apply for an export permit to send the fishes out by air freight. This export permit will require alot of conditions for us to meet, like having a QT area etc., and it is very difficult to be obtained for hobbyists that do not own a farm or shop.

It would be best for you to contact a local fish farm to help you in exporting the fishes out of SG, and also to find a contact on the US side for a certified transhipper to receive the fishes from your exporter, and then to re-ship the fish within the US to the final destination.

The bettas are naturally air-breathers so they will need a fair amount of air in the usual polyethylene plastic bags. You should pack them in a sturdy styrofoam box, which should then be placed into a cardboard box. This happens to be a requirement for US-bound shipments if I remember correctly. There must be some form of absorbent material like newspapers etc. in the box to absorb any leakages because they will not accept leaking boxes. Another thing to take note of is the time taken for the box to travel from SG to the US and then to the final destination, and also the temperature of the area they are heading to. Parts of the US are experiencing cold weather right now so the bettas may not survive the journey.
    Yes, I just went throught AVA and it is a really IMPOSSIBLE feat for normal fish hobbyists! Unless, I get in touch with local exporters. But wonder what kind of charges they have....

Frustating indeed....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Be prepared to pay quite alot. You might have to tag along on their regular shipments to the transhippers in the US, otherwise a single shipment containing only a small number of fishes will cost more than you can imagine.

It is frustrating but then again the exporters pay for their licence and permits. If we normal hobbyists are allowed to send fishes through the mail, without these permits, then the exporters are losing money.

I don't have any contacts for you but I believe some of the farms may be able to help you.