Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

discus in planted

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    is it ok to put discus in planted tanks? cos i have been rearing discus for some while and have seen at exhibitions tt they place discus ib those huge planted tanks

discus generally need higher tmp
    can the plants ta han?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can, just keep simple plants like echinodorus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    any other plants which do not require low temp?

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    alternatively, what you can do is to slowly condition your discus for a lower temp. Say do it slowly, like introduce fan blowing during the day but turn it off at night. After they are more accustomed to this, you can slowly turn it on 24hrs. Cos 30 d and above... you cant grow that many plants, however there have been many cases where discus are able to adapt to 26d or a little lower without anything. Watch out for the appetite of the discus during this time where you lower the temp. Yup, my 2 cents worth
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some plants that can withstand the higher temperature required by the discus is Hygrophila polysperma, H. difformis and Java fern, in my experience... Think Bacopa spp. should also do well in waters higher than 28C... IMO, the plants mentioned above do better than Echiodorus spp. in warmer waters...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    yeah u cna keep discus together with plants. i've kept them before but i won't know bout the temp as i didnt use a fan that time. if u want to keep plants in a high temp u can try crypts, echinodorus, valis and H. difformis.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have discus in my office planted tank for about 4 years now. Temperatures about 25C or 26C due to the 6x36W PL lights. They do OK. Not too low like 20C and they get sluggish.

I think it is a myth they need 29C or 30C water. I am sure the Amazon river where they come from would turn chilly at night too.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    dun think its a myth. my temp was like 32 in the day taht time

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks guys foe the info!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Juggler... Think I read somewhere that the water temperature at the Amazon near the banks, where most tetras, discus and angels are in, can go as high as or higher than 35C... Its like boiling (ok, not THAT hot... )... With that kind of temperature, the water temperature may not drop too much, even in the wee hours of the morning... But of course I am just assuming for the night part... Most authors do not mention the water temperature at night cos they usually dun catch the fish at night there...

But of course, it would be better to keep them at lower temperatures... But making sure they eat healthily... Their lifespan would be lengthened at lower temperatures...

My 2 cents lah...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Water also lose heat much slower then air does.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for sharing the info. Good info about the 35C temps. Didn't know...

BTW - that's my experience with AngelFish and Discus. Once, at 21C or so, my angelfishes sulk at one corner. Now at about 26C, they even spawned a few times in the tank. It shows they are happy at that condition, isn't it?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, I would assume they (angels especially) should do better at 26-28C rather than 30-32C... But I had happy and spawning discus and angels before I use a fan... Too bad they fight and die before I was introduced into lowering the water temperature. Else, can experiment...

But for discus, Jack Watterly would never recommend anything lower than 28C