Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Comment: this thread is split from Mervin's thread "You want?" in Vivariums. As it's getting off-topic, but interesting, I've split this out. There may be some dis-jointed mini-threads within. Some of the posts were made half in jest, and some people may take offence at the frivolity. I do hope that followup posters will temper their words to avoid a flamewar. It is an interesting topic which I think we can take furthur... but in a civil way please. We can disagree, but let's not fight. ~ Vinz

hi, bulls are quite common in the 'wild'. indeed very noisy and prolific. just not in numbers as extreme as cane toads per se, but who knows?
    Last edited by vinz; 8th Nov 2005 at 10:24.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually all I saw was cane toads and this small brown frog with a dark brown "lateral line" kinda marking.
    As for which jungle and why, it was Hong Kah and Lentor. With the ARMY

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    what? cane toads have reached singapore? i dont think so eh...they have just crossed the border into western australia, i believe a year or so back. i dont think they could've swam across...not that quickly anyway, considering its size heh

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LOL... floatbloat, if frogs swam in seawater, they'll probably find themselves as "sink-shrink".

Cane toads is bad news for any ecology (except it's own native one)... not good for pets with a penchance to eat or play with frogs/toads too.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    my friends used to tell me stories of them playing golf with the cane toads, i.e using canetoads as big golf balls. i dont think the cane toads can actually hold clubs but who knows what a few licks can do?

perhaps someone trying to outdo tiger woods managed to hit a few over to our shores? if so, no worries. we can launch an offensive (thanks NS for making me think this way) and catapult them back. who needs nuclear weapons when we have cane toads?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Owwww... as toxic and bad for the ecology they are, I don't think the toads deserve to be treated as golf balls. That's a really bad thing to do. Afterall, it was humans who imported them into the wrong ecology. Whatever harm they caused wasn't they fault.

Speaking of NS, if the cane toads make it to Sg shores, we'll probably have to deploy the army to do a man... errr... toad-hunt like we did when the armed robbers from johor "invaded" P. Tekong.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If there really are cane toads, then it will be a battle between the toads and the bulls! Anyway, if really they are here, could be from some unsuspecting Singaporean could have brought some back intending for them as pets and they escaped? Hmm...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As for running around the Sg "jungles" blind... well, my unit tends to do it in the dead of night, so I usually hear the fauna, and not see them. Or feel them... had some large spiky insect like a grasshopper or mantis fly in my face once in total darkness.

My unit also tends to fly us over the "jungles", so unless we get pelted by cane toads launched by insensitive golfers, I wouldn't have seen them either.

In the day... we hide... and so do most of the fauna.

Now this thread is really going off-topic.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz
    Owwww... as toxic and bad for the ecology they are, I don't think the toads deserve to be treated as golf balls. That's a really bad thing to do. Afterall, it was humans who imported them into the wrong ecology. Whatever harm they caused wasn't they fault.
    Human nature lah... Try telling those that shout 'Cull cats' during SARS and now 'Kill the wild birds' with the avian flu!... As if it is the animals' fault!...

Sorry ah... Just venting some frustration... No offense to all... Unless one happens to belong to those mentioned above... Then too bad lor... To each his own mah...

Cheers!

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    yup it's kinda cruel. when they drive, they apparently swerve to aim for a toad that's facing them, so that when the toad gets run over, u hear a loud pop. from wad ive heard, it seems like everyone's doing it in... mmm... queensland i think.

i also watched a film called 'he died with a felafel in his hand', and has a shot of this character gearing up for golf and whacking a canetoad out of sight. i was "ugh' and thats how the stories started pouring out from my friends

apparently the cane toads are a huge problem. lets just hope we wont be golfing american bullfrogs anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aren't cane toads those brown, warty buggers with the poison glands behind the eyes? I'm pretty sure I've seen them around for awhile... or was it a local lookalike?

And yes, I can't stand those "kill anything sick" people. You don't see me yelling "Idiots must go!" when the economy goes into a slump do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess part of the problem is that the cane toads are a big enough danger (pets and toddlers die trying to eat this fellas, and there are no natural predators to control their population) there for the govt over there to close an eye on this. Seriously though, there are more humane ways to get rid of them. If you can catch them and use them as golfballs, I'm sure you can put them in a bucket and bring them somewhere to be out down humanely.

Now try using a baby koala as a footie ball and watch how fast the authorities and the greenies descend on your rear end.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i dunno- if koalas werent endemic and werent eating up things in their paths and werent so damn cuddly, they would've been in the footie fields by now haha

i guess the bottom line is 'what is humane'?

this is totally going off topic isnt it? nice to see how one topic leads to another though.

hey vinz, how did the manhunt work out? got any mr/miss congenital terrorist or not?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah... Now that this is a separated topic... Heh heh...

Another question is 'What is a pest?'... Perhaps the thread title can also be changed to 'Inhumane treatment of PERCIEVED pests'...

A good example is the locusts... They are not introduced and it is their natural behaviour and life cycle to suddenly appear en mass... But humans percieved them as pests and kill them as humans had began growing crops in areas where they appear... Same as Elephants in Asia, Tigers in India and China, Big cats in Africa etc etc... They are not pests but the humans staying near them percieved them as pests...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kanz, locusts are a problem in many places, especially in Africa. No matter how many people kill, thousands more appear each year to destroy precious crops meant for starving people. Every year, the people in locust-infested regions have to put up with swathes of destruction caused by these insects. You cannot blame them for taking the necessary steps to destroy the locusts.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am not blaming them for destroying the locusts... Afterall, the locusts destroys the food that the people eat...

It is just that if the locusts appear in the middle of a savanna surrounded by zebras and lions... Ah... Things will be different... Nobody will chap them, right? Because they are no longer percieved as pests as humans dun have crops there... You get my drift...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup I get your drift. But the problem is, these critters don't appear where the lions and zebras are.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's an interesting take...

Aren't humans pests in a way? We move into an area, destroy the natural environment, grow crops, build golf courses, homes, buildings...

Then when the native fauna comes and trys to survive or just do what they naturally do, we kill them...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Heh heh... That's why I say I dislike those that shout 'kill this and kill that' when diseases appear... Cos, if you think about it, humans are usually the ones who started them... Who asked them to eat the civets or house chickens in crowded, packed, unhygenic cages or the worst of all: sell dead chickens for food etc...?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Even locusts aren't immune.The North American species became extinct when its sole breeding grounds were disturbed early last century.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast