Country
    Singapore

Mogurnda adspersa

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Got a goby like fish which I'm not sure what it is. Pardon the terrible picture as this was just a "quick and dirty" grab shot.

Anyone can confirm if it's Mogurnda adspersa? Choy?

More pictures when I have the time.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is this not the Tateurndina ocellicauda discussed at:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...hlight=peacock

Looks very alike, except this is 'fatter'...

Nice shot for a 'quick and dirty' grab job...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope. Different species. Markings are different and these are already about 8 cm.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow! Twice as large... What do they eat now? I love gobies... Keke...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Opps.. I think it can't be Mogurnda adspersa then since it endangered. Probably Mogurnda mogurnda, or more commonly known as Northern Purple Spotted Gudgeon, Australian Chequered Gudgeon, Trout Gudgeon.

Great link! Thanks!!

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No probs... Where did you get your hands on the fish?... Want to get the smaller goby, Stiphodon elegans or Tateurndina ocellicauda ...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    No probs... Where did you get your hands on the fish?... Want to get the smaller goby, Stiphodon elegans or Tateurndina ocellicauda ...

i know where..

benny was this the fish u got last week?
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Opps.. I think it can't be Mogurnda adspersa then since it endangered. Probably Mogurnda mogurnda, or more commonly known as Northern Purple Spotted Gudgeon, Australian Chequered Gudgeon, Trout Gudgeon.

Great link! Thanks!!

Cheers,
    You can tell them apart by counting the lateral line scales; 30-36 for M. adspersa and 34-47 for M. mogurnda

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    some similar fishes…

supposedly the real Mogurnda adspersa but I did not (nor Heok Hee) count the scales.

Giuris margaritacea this baby is about 6 inches big.

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Choy! Great pictures as always.

With the resolution in your picture, should it be very easy to count the scales?

There are two prominant eye stripes diagonally backwards from the eye and a parallel third strip on the operculum is also quite obvious in your specimen. Mogurnda mogurnda should have five prominant "facial" stripes diagonally backwards from the eye and a cross the operculum instead.

Looks like the one I have might just be Mogurnda adspersa after all. For those interested, I got these from Qian Hu on Saturday when Mr. Tree and I drop by to have a look see. Very affordable price of S$2 per piece, but take note, they are predatory. Not to be kept with the smaller fishes for sure.

Interesting thing to note is that your specimen does not show the "trademark" bluish/green coloration in the eye when flash. Why is that so?

Cheers,

p.s. How do you count the scales on the lateral line anyway? just the row of scales on lateral line? Where do you start and I suppose you end where the caudal fin begins.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's supposed to be a protected species... eh? How'd QH get their hands on it?... Would head shape be a determining factor too? But then cannot see the head shapes clearly from the pics in the link...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's supposed to be a protected species... eh? How'd QH get their hands on it?...
    From commercial breeders perhaps? Arowana is also considered endangered and protected, but it's just about in all the Asian fish shops.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Would head shape be a determining factor too? But then cannot see the head shapes clearly from the pics in the link...
    mmm… which head shape you can't see clearly? I thought all three pix is pretty much side-on profile.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    mmm… which head shape you can't see clearly? I thought all three pix is pretty much side-on profile.
    No no... Not your pics, Choy, yours are very good... I was refering to the pics in the link showing the 2 similar species that Benny was refering to...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    hi benny, bred these 2 years ago , M . mogurnda 100%