Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chlorox the way for BBA

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Tried using chlorox to kill BBA on my nana plant under the advice of a shop owner in Serangoon and it work!

Tried using blackout for 3 days, but to no effect, so I treid this approach. I first used 1 to 8 (approx) part solution of chlorox and water, soack the plant in for 20 mins, the wash it and soak it in water for 2 hours (or till smell is gone) and bam! all BBA gone and nana is still whole. Put it back into my tank and added a drop or two of anti-chlorine just to be safe. So far, none of my fish are dying and no sign of BBA at all.

Just thought of sharing it with everyone, although I was also told that this can only work well with small plants but not on large plants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't know why you even bothered to try blackout with BBA... it has never worked on them. Blackout is for BGA.

Chlorine bleach works well for BBA provided the plant is tough enough. Anubias is ok, but the more fragile stem plants, riccia, moss, etc will not take 20 mins in 1:8 chlorine bleach solution.

The prescribed method is 1 part chlorine bleach to 20 parts water. Soak for 3 to 5 mins only. Rinse thoroughly several times and then soak in a large pail of water (with anti-chlorine) for a few hours. This is especially important if driftwood is treated as well, as the wood can soak up the bleach solution and release it in the tank. Rinse throughly again before putting back in tank.

Not disputing your experience, just cautioning others who might try your stronger method with more fragile plants.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thx for your advice, will keep that in mind. Just like to know also, which would be better, commercial anti-algae or the homemade chlorox solution?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you can try h202, hydrogen peroxide, if you want. treat driftwood without worrying about leaking it back into the tank.

not too sure of the mixing though

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorsamsa
    you can try h202, hydrogen peroxide, if you want. treat driftwood without worrying about leaking it back into the tank.

not too sure of the mixing though
    Hydrogen Peroxide is easily available at Guardian. It works the same. It is better to mix with water or else it might be too strong for the plants. Only certain plants can withstand it.

So be it peroxide or chlorox, a word of advise is use with care and not over use.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania
    Thx for your advice, will keep that in mind. Just like to know also, which would be better, commercial anti-algae or the homemade chlorox solution?
    Use scissors and a phone/credit card would do. Using bleach/H2O2 will do damages to plants as it would to algae. Manual removal via trimming and scrubbing is all you need to do followed with a large water change. Correct the conditions and the algae should not come back.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania
    Errr... Chlorox is chlorine bleach. Commercial anti-algae is something else all together. They don't work the same way, so I don't see how to compare them.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    but i read in a diff forum saying taht a guy had his tank infested with BBA and he 'nuked' the tank,filter and tubing with chlorox and changed the soil and gravel and a month later the BBA cam back

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, wait for Jungle-mania to post back that his BBA has reappeared

It'll keep coming back if you don't correct your CO2 levels.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i read in a post before about using seachem excel to 'attack' the BBA, and i think using chlorox is not the best way, with good co2 levels, the BBA will beat a retreat and not appear even if you dont use other external stuff. Also, you never know how shrimps react to it, too risky, dont wanna killl all the shrimps in my tank.

Long term goal, - good co2 levels and circulation of the co2 enriched waters
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    so far, no BBA in sight. But you are right about the damage, my nana showed some yellow spots, but is recovering with some hormone solution and strong light, new leaves are coming out. Will keep updated if any BBA comes up.