Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

BIO ball and ring

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, what's the difference between Bio ball and Bio ring? I have a small IOS 2ft tank with 2 IOS compartments. Currently, i have only Bio balls and bio rings in the compartment and there is no more space. I am thinking of putting in peat in the compartment. Should I take out the BIO ring and put the peat instead? I am thinking of keeping shrimps with this tank, thanks.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by krabbie
    Hi, what's the difference between Bio ball and Bio ring? I have a small IOS 2ft tank with 2 IOS compartments. Currently, i have only Bio balls and bio rings in the compartment and there is no more space. I am thinking of putting in peat in the compartment. Should I take out the BIO ring and put the peat instead? I am thinking of keeping shrimps with this tank, thanks.
    What material is your bio ball made of? If it is made of plastic, it is useless! The uncle at Lam Hong Aquarium told me that plastic does not trap bacteria, hence it will not help you in growing beneficial bacteria.

Bio ring is worth the $ if it is made of ceramic or something that is porous like those offered by Ehiem.

I recommend you to use Biohome if you are interested in growing beneficial bacteria to break down your NO2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by barmby
    What material is your bio ball made of? If it is made of plastic, it is useless! The uncle at Lam Hong Aquarium told me that plastic does not trap bacteria, hence it will not help you in growing beneficial bacteria.
    Yes, mine is made of plastic.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by barmby

Bio ring is worth the $ if it is made of ceramic or something that is porous like those offered by Ehiem.

I recommend you to use Biohome if you are interested in growing beneficial bacteria to break down your NO2
    Not true. Every surface area can culture bacteria..even the plant surface.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Both bio balls and bio rings can cultivate good bacteria but for the same volume taken up by the bio balls or the bio rings, the amount of bacteria cultivate at the bio rings are much greater than those at the bio balls.