Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hydrocotyle spp. as foreground plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello... As I looked at the list of foreground plants for polling in another thread here, I noticed 'Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides' as one of the choices... I have a Hydrocotyle sp. (can't recall which now, maybe I can update when I go home) that is similar to Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides but it keeps growing upwards and can reach almost 2ft tall...

Now, my question is, can all Hydrpcotyle spp. be used as foreground plants? They are pretty and their leaves stay small too... Do we need to 'train' them like you guys 'train' glosso? i.e. Need to cut them, then replant them and keep pushing the vertical stems back into the substrate?

Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i have these in the foreground.. 2 that you can use are verticillata and sibthorpioides. Both will do okay..although they do have different growth patterns. You will have to trim them every now and then and if you want them to stay close to the ground you will need rather strong lights. verticillata is what pple ususally use for that "mushroom" effect.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    what do you mean 'train' the glosso? my glosso is growing tall but there is sufficient light, 24w for 1 ft tank. how do i get it short?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    some ppl "train" their glosso by cutting off or push the new shots back to the sand when it start to grow tall.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    o no wonder......thank you