Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: too much lighting?

too much lighting?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, think this is my first post here

I am looking at setting up a vivarium or something similar. It is going to be a big DIY project and have started planning the basic layout. I just have a question on lighting. I do have a strong background with planted tanks (i have 5, 2 high-tech) so if anyone wants to get technical feel free.

Here is the setup, its a quick draft with Bryce (that’s a program to save on confusion).

48"x48"x90"

I was looking at 4x40W NO in the canopy and 2x96W PC in the corner where the glass meets up (mounted vertically where you see the wood trim).

I’m not concerned with heat/cooling/humidity those can be adjusted later. My concern is that I have proper lighting, enough lighting, good positioning.
    Would it be better to just have them all in the canopy?
    Last edited by dissident; 29th Nov 2005 at 16:48.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there, best option would be to have all those lights mounted in the canopy or hood of the tank. Visually, it'd be less of an eyesore and the projection output is much better that way as it'll be reflected downwards into the tank hence maximum usage.

Problem would be on how ya'd fix about the heat issue as 6 pieces of lighting switched on at the same time would definitely emit a lot of heat. What i can put forward to ya is that ya could have 2 cooling fans built into the top part of the hood. In a way, both when placed will induce the hot air out and fresh cool air into the tank.

Hope it helps and it's not too late. Awaiting for updates on your design and development.

Best Regards,
    Phillipe.

I haven't started yet, so thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the vertical lighting and was planning to drop that idea. I'm still in the process of making my lists and reading up all the info I can. On a project this size I really want to know everything before I start cutting. I even set up a small 45gal viv to play with lighting, humidity (nothing fancy at all). The only thing really lacking as far as info was lighting. I can find info on what color bulbs for flowering, new growth, seedlings but nothing that states a rule for how many watts/sqft. With planted tanks there was always a 'rule' or guide to follow for watts/gal. I think I decided on 6x96W PC on separate timers 2 on at a time staggered 2hrs apart and then off in the same order (6500K and 10,000K).

Temperature control is going to be done with cool air humidifiers and warm air humidifiers on a controller. 2 fans moving air down along each piece of glass to prevent fogging and for air circulation. I am looking to keep DTH~80f/DTL~70F and NTH~70F NTL~60F (NTL summer ~70F). There will be a misting system and running water feature to keep moisture up.

any thoughts?

*updated orgional draft image post#1*