Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Comments for my badis badis tank...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Comments for my badis badis tank...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi, can i hear some comments for my badis badis tank? thks in advance..
    Last edited by poopoobud; 25th Jan 2006 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    first of all, its too bare, you shld consider either sloping the gravel. Also I think a nice driftwood or 2, or rock will make it better.

are those nana at the backgrd? if so, not wise to plant them straight into the gravel, they r known to rot from it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    first of all, its too bare, you shld consider either sloping the gravel. Also I think a nice driftwood or 2, or rock will make it better.

are those nana at the backgrd? if so, not wise to plant them straight into the gravel, they r known to rot from it
    mine is nana petite.. i am not sure abt rotting but they seem to grow many new leaves and bubble alot. i oso thinking of adding a driftwood.. thks for ur first comments.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Too bare. Get more plants, driftwood. Your Badis will feel more secure too I'm sure.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your badis will prefer a cave or something to that effect. Shade does them well. My badis and darios will prefer to lurk among my taller plants and driftwood... And sometimes among the hairgrass but almost never out in the open. And dun plant the nanas' rizhome (the horizontal root-like thing) into the substrate... The plant will die. Have fun!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with everyone else. Badis = need for cover. They're fierce but shy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thks...will look into doing some changes after the badis badis babies grow slightly bigger... I actually provided one clay cup which contains my nana petite when i buy it in the soil to act as cave, but they spawned two weeks ago behind all my nana petite... now have to wait for the little ones to grow slighlty bigger then do so changes as per everyone here have help me commented... thks everyone.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Poopoobud, that's good news!

XnSdVd, talk about fierce... Think my Badis is going around killing my Darios! Had been discovering dario bodies floating around these couple of days...

You guys think it could be an indication that the Badis is spawning?

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    mine seems to be fierce when they mate and spawn... they are a little territorial thou...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dude, if your badis are spawning you're a better fishkeeper than alot of people here, myself included.

By the way, I've been thinking... would it make sense for him to add driftwood? or simply provide more cover? In a natural setting the badis would normally just find a clump of crypts to hide under in the absence of driftwood. And the fish have to be pretty relaxed for them to be spawning already. So could we have one of those "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" situation?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Adding wood is a good idea... But his Nanas' rhizome would have to be elevated from the gravel... Else the plants will die...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thks XnSdVd... i bred many fishes so far... some just start breeding themself in my other five planted tanks... thks Justikanz too for ur advise...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha suddenly though of those "Even a monkey can keep fish with geo liquid" but not a guinnea pig it seems...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

updates of my tank on nana plant...

how can i tell if my nana plants are going to rot? they are sprouding many new leaves and bubbling under their leaves... i've yet to move the plants, as there are some eggs spawned under the leaves.
    Last edited by poopoobud; 25th Jan 2006 at 18:43.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm also curious how u plant the nanas. I also got 2 of them and also plant them in the subtrate. Anyone can advice how to plant them? Tie on a driftwood??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IME, i tried planting the anubias into the gravel too, it turns out ok. However, there's still people claim that their nanas melted cuz they inserted too deep into the gravel. So to play safe, plant in the nanas together with the pot, cuz their roots is already adapted to the cotton inside the pot. Or best still, hide the pot of nanas behind the rock or DW so that only the leaves are expose. Tying onto the wood helps too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anubias CAN be planted directly into the substrate. The problem is do NOT plant the whole rizhome into the substrate, just insert the roots into the substrate. If the roots are too short, then plant it such that the rizhome can have fresh water supply (half exposed). The plant die when the rizhome is choked (usually by planting it too deep into the substrate). That's the reason why people so not recommend planting anubias into the substrate. Many people will be confused with the rizhome and the roots.

Poopoobud, in your case, perhaps you would either leave things alone and wait out or slowly and minutely move the nanas upwards a little at a time... But I'd suggest you ignore the plants for now.

Anyway, If I am not wrong, the plants can sprout new leave and 'act' like nothing is wrong, then suddenly kaput, like crypts... Maybe others can comment...

Michael: It would not be good to leave the plants with the wool for long periods. The wool compacts and limits water and oxygen to the roots and worse, the rizhome. It is always advised the remove the wool from the plants, nanas, stemmed plants or others, for better plant health and longevity. Often times, if you remove the wool from the pots of plants that seem to have been established with the wool, you will find the areas wrapped by the wool starting to rot and disintegrate...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha! ok Jus! Thanks for ur explaination!