Country
    Singapore

Colisa lalia!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

MrTree uploaded a fantatic picture of a Colisa lalia, or more commonly known as the Dwarf Gourami.

These species are pretty value for money in my opinion and will certainly be a lively addition to a planted aquaria. However, I don't recall seeing this as a popular choice over more common specimens such as the cardinal tetras. If I recall correctly, prices starts from S$0.80 to S$2.50 per piece and there are a variety of color variants available.

Anyone keeping these fishes? Or perhaps with experience on them to share?

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 22nd Nov 2005 at 12:37.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IME, The dwarfs can be pretty nasty in the behaviour department... They look pretty but VERY naughty... Sometimes even managing to throw more punch than bettas and pearl gouramis...

Think the main problem is that the dwarfs we have on sale here are males!... The females are silvery gray and that could be the reason they are not put on sale... This leads to male rivalry and agressive behaviours.

Should be good with biggish tanks (>2ft) but the current should also be reduced (esp at the surface, like for all anabantoids, except the Giant Gourami).

Go for the thick-lipped gourami (similar colouration but bigger) or honey gouramis for more peace...

My 2 cents...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have one which could shoot out jets of water like an archer fish!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dwarf gouramis are my all-time favorite. They come in different varieties – sunset, neon, cobalt blue, etc. I used to keep them, one of each kind.

Just the right size for all tank sizes. Right price too for all wallet sizes!

Unfortunately, they don’t last longer than 9 mths. Well, at least in my tank. Not so easy to keep, although said to be hardy fishes according to many sources.

Might be easy to breed if you can find a lovey-dovey pair. They love to build bubble nest.

I would love to keep them again once mortality frees up some living space. Trouble is, none of my fishes are showing any sign of dying! My son suggested we just flush them down the toilet. He better be joking or I'll throw him down the chute!

You know what fellas? I’m at a stage of fishkeeping (itchy stage) where I’m wishing a mysterious sickness would strike. When that happens, I’ll be very pleased to let Nature takes its course.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You just need more tanks...

For a fish their size and activitty level, they should last 3-5 years with no problems... Anyone has kept them alive for that long?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There's the normal type and another 2 or more captive variants, of which one is very very blue, and the other, a total reddish colour for most of the body. All of these were developed in Singapore many years ago if my information was correct.

In the shops we only see males for sale. Oddly enough one or two females do get by. They're easily bred but due to the lack of females, not easy to obtain breeding stock.

I've kept them before and they are very easy fish. The males are territorial so make sure there's enough space in the tank. Other than that, they pose no problems for the novice fishkeeper.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    i agree with stormhawk on their management, just recently a lfs had some wild caught lalia compared to the cultivars they are quite bland in colour.
    but at least they were in pairs. price in UK is about £5.50 whats that in S $ ?.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dwarf gouramis are prone to:

1) dropsy (which may progress to pop-eye)
    2) body ulcers

When I was keeping them in my 2 ft for close to 2 years (I kept buying new ones to replace the dead ones), I changed water twice a week. That is even not enough to keep them alive longer than 9 mths.
    Now tell me how many of you here change water that often for 2 years running?

So, I would like to know if anyone who has kept them still have them alive and kicking in the tank after 2 years. How abt we start from people who say it's an easy fish?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I kept them years ago and had one for more than a year before it finally of old age. Didn't have to buy any to replace it.

They do get dropsy if they're fed too often on rich foods like tubifex worms. I don't have any now because I've yet to find any nice ones in the LFS. Most of those in the shops these days have very ugly bodies and not very vibrant colours. Probably too much inbreeding in the farms. Can't find females either otherwise I'd definitely want to spawn them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    ive had them for well over a year, but by then they looked old and tatty,
    but don't forget they are usually full grown when we buy them and they are'nt fast growers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have kept 3 gourami. It has yellow body. Brought from PetSafari before they closed down. It was labelled as Flame gourami as it has a slight reddish tinge. Had them for a year or so till they pass on. Then the Chocolate gourami season came and I've bought 4. They didn't last as all was male and they kept fighting and picking on each other. The weakest was the 1st to go. And also they brought ich to my mom shrimp tank. They weren't seen with white spot when I 1st bought it but I believe they are host.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    I am looking for nice blue form fish, but those I can find are in terribly shape, probably due to too much inbreeding. This fish in the picture is still young and its dorsal fin should grow longer when it matures.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    MrTree, you referring to the powder blue variant? Those are damn ugly, with obvious flaws in terms of physical shape. Sadly can't find nice ones these days.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Judging by its colouration, this fish is definitely not a sweet sixteener, but a middle-ager.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have kept a pair of males in a 2 x 1 x 1 tank w/o much prob, one died very early on while the other i had a hard time 'wishing' that it would die... lasted more than 9 mths in my tank but i eventually put it in my fathers miniature pond with some blood parrots... and even then, it lived for another few months... in my opinion, a really hardy fish
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've had 2 males and 2 females in a 2 ft tank. The males kept fighting and flaring but did no damage to each other. But they killed the females. They're hardy fishes having lived in a tank of coral chip gravel where the children's fish net waves around every weekend.

After 1 year and a half, the colours look washed out, and they lost out to competition for food from the younger more boisterous tiger barbs. Died eventually, one from SBD and the other just from starvation.

I realise that they live longer if you feed lesser. Mine gets by on a diet of boiled sweet potato, carrots, seaweed and pellets. When hungry, there's also duckweed to munch.

Those others I take more care of die of dropsy within months.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8