Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Overcrowding?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, i went to Gan's yesterday and bought 50 cardinals, 11 rummynose, 4 Apistos, around 20 malayan shrimps and 4 Otos(petmart). IS this bioload too much for a 1.5ft cube tank? Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah too much!!!

you need a bigger tank

It's okay... nature's self-modulating mechanism will ensure that you will end up with the appropriate number of fish for the habitat.

*rolleyes*

(It is too much... now what are you going to do with the extra fish?)
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Crazy! That load is too much! Cut the number of fishes; else I will have to agree with Mrs Budak....

Last alternative, change water every 2 days and pray...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah ... Very likely, Nature will take it course and make sure that the appropriate number of fish stays in the tank as what Mrs Budak mentions.

Get a bigger tank and give your fish a better place to live.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    chaq, since you've already bought the fishes, you'll have to find a way to solve this "problem"... it's indeed too many for a 1.5ft cube.

do you have any other tanks to share the load? or do you intend to sell/give some of those fishes away? if not:

guys/gals, i've kept something like 75 tetras/corys in a 2ft 57litre tank. nothing drastic happened (thank God), but lots of time/energy had to be spent on it, in order to have minimal casualty. colin, cool man! i was not crazy then, just "beginner's mistake" lah!

like what have been advised, you'll have to change the water more frequently and keep a very close eye on your tank. i was changing water like every 6 days, sometimes 4 days, depending on the situation in the tank. but then, i only had 2 tanks then, so it's quite ok for me.

once in a while, you may see 1 or 2 casulties. survival of the fittest? maybe...

good luck!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    guys/gals, i've kept something like 75 tetras/corys in a 2ft 57litre tank. nothing drastic happened (thank God), but lots of time/energy had to be spent on it, in order to have minimal casualty. colin, cool man! i was not crazy then, just "beginner's mistake" lah!
    ----------------
    Coryfav, 75 tetras N corys?!?! Wow! That's alot! Presently I already had about 40-50 fish in my 2ft tank and I am already starting to find it too overcrowded fearing that the fish may not be able to take it. Now, worst with my guppies starting to multiply!

Chaq, I agree with Coryfav. I think you really need to do something or you may risk a number of fish dying off. Esp if you are to put them into a newly setup tank.
    Be prepared to lose a few of them the next few days....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi ninjafly! yeah, i didn't know until i sat down, took out my pen & paper and started counting: 20 rummynose, 25 cardinals, 16 corys, etc![]

it's due to the way i planted my tank, having left some space at the back for them to swim, so i couldn't really see the "crowd"! i only realized when i saw my colleague's office tank, which had a big empty space and all his fishes came to the front![] but then again, my plants grew like there's no tomorrow then![:0]

ha, the best part was when i migrated them to my "new" 3ft tank. wwwhhhoooaaa!!![:0] then very fortunately, i now have a new 2ft tank to share the "load". heh![]
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    when i got my new 2ft tank.... I just buy and buy fishes.... til one i really counted them WOW 60 number of fish!!! too many leow.... as if I having a 4 ft tank....
    NOW only left with
    9 cardinals
    10 noen tetras
    6 blue eyes
    4 pengiun tetras
    7 Sliver tip tetras
    8 guppies
    plus 9 guppies fries
    4 unidendify fries???

[:0] good luck.... sell the extra or let nature take its cause......

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LOLz.. amaze u guys can stuff so many fishes into one tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it's way too much ! esp if your tank is not cycled properly yet. i started with 50 neons 1 week after i've put in the water. they died a few a day and eventually, i lost all of them. i've a 2ft tank abt 15 gallon capacity. for small tank like ours, it's better to add in no more than 5 a week. i know there isn't economy of scale but what to do ... we have small tanks. maybe you can buy in bulk in advance from the lfs and tell them you will collect 5 everyweek for the next few week ??

i know it's tempting to buy many at one go. it's an amazing sight to see colourful shoal fish swimming in school. but to keep so many in a tight space, water quality will be very impt and you need a good filter. aeration is also necessary but it will work against your plants. how do you think breeders can keep so many fishes in a small tank ??

would you consider selling them ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My worries are confirmed ... actually, i didnt plan to get so many fishes, especially the cardinals ... but after a long trip there to gan's (i stay in Hougang) ... thought i should make the trip worthwhile by getting more fishes , ... which seems like an obvious mistake now from what i read. Also, the fishes there are healthy and well priced although its no excuse to get so many :P

I took a look at them today ... no casualties yet, phew! i dont mind giving some 20 cardinals away ... but i think they probably wont survive the journey without proper packing ... and the thought of removing the driftwood (that takes forever to sink) to catch them sickens me ... if there is anyone of you who lives near hougang, and is reallly interested pls email me at [email protected] or post here to see if we can arrange anything ... probably during the weekend

Btw, apistos owners ... what do you feed them? any sinking pellets to recommend? i bought some pellet food from gan but before they could reach the bottom ... they are all gobbled up by the tetras .

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    chaq.. u have PM...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Hi Chaq, my one and only apisto(hope get more) took abt 2 days to learn that food comes from the sky [] so now everytime senses a feeding frenzy, he'll be up there jostling with my cardinals, glowlight and rasboras for food.
    Unless you are willing to get frozen BW which which sinks, I think most of the other guys here feed their fishes with it. For me, my wf won't allow me to keep the frozen BW in the freezer, so no choice, feed with freeze-dried blood worms which float.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can try feeding them with tetra bits... they sink too..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/14/2002 12:08:08 AM

chaq.. u have PM...
    ----------------
    Why am i not surprised.....heheheh....

Nizz

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/14/2002 10:35:44 AM

can try feeding them with tetra bits... they sink too..[]
    ----------------
    Actually I alternate between frozen bw and tetra bits so that there is some variety for my fishes, and on rare occaions, will buy feed them live tubifex or live bw too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/14/2002 12:08:08 AM

chaq.. u have PM...
    ----------------
    what is PM?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    same here. my wife die die will not allow me to keep the bw in the fridge even though i assured her it's sealed.

i failed with my 3 rams .... they didn't adapt to floating pellets and they had no chance against other fishes. i think i will give up on rams. a shame really as they are such interesting and beautiful fish. is apisto more daring than ram ? where can i get them and how much ? petmart sell them ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/14/2002 2:14:11 PM

same here. my wife die die will not allow me to keep the bw in the fridge even though i assured her it's sealed.

i failed with my 3 rams .... they didn't adapt to floating pellets and they had no chance against other fishes. i think i will give up on rams. a shame really as they are such interesting and beautiful fish. is apisto more daring than ram ? where can i get them and how much ? petmart sell them ?
    ----------------
    Yes, i have seen them in petmart before. They are packed in bags floating on their planted tank. If i'm not not wrong it's around 10 - 16 bugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast