Country
    Singapore

Amber or Ember Tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello...

I am a little confused... I can't seem to find info on this fish, courtesy of the now de-funct CS:

(Pardon the pic, taken w/o flash and heavily edited!)

Questions I have on the fish:

1) Amber or Ember?
    2) Scientific name?
    3) Adult size of this fish
    4) Any other info on the fish.

Any kind souls here able to help? Thanks...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    here's the ember tetra Hyphessobrycon amandae

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... The fin colouration is similar, if not the same as my fish... But the body shape looks different... Yours look slimmer and mine's more like the typical hyphessobrycon shape, broader between the dorsal and the pelvic fins... Does that mean my fish is not the Ember Tetra afterall?...

If not Embers, what ARE they?? Need a new camera and get a better pic liao...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe mine is a skinny male, and yours are fat madams?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha... All 52 of them fat madams?? Got to take a VERY close look at them liao, to see if all of them have the same thick body...

Anyway, mine still very transparent at the body... Looking slightly pinkish... Certainly hope they will turn up ember... *Cross fingers*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    i agree with choy, they are amandae maybe thay are still only youngsters, they don't fair well in the general community tank mainly because of their size, given the right conditions they do get that amber colour btw thats the name for them in the UK, has anyone noticed the size of the adipose fin? its huge for such a small fish .
    mick

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Yes Mick.. its not huge its monsterous.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kanz,

I got some of them from the display tank at CS before it closed. They are mostly female Hyphessobrycon amandae. Nice though and they're easy to keep. I think the majority of the males were sold off much earlier. However, I seriously doubt you have all 52 as females.

I feed mine with Sera Viformo, Sera Vipachips, live tubifex and the occasional walterworms.

They're pretty fat right now and spend alot of time schooling with my Axelrodia riesei and Horadandia atukorali, all of which were already schooling together in the CS display tank.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They are breaking up into 2-4 smaller schools liao... I hope they dun eventually just swim around randomly... Would probably need to reduce their numbers after that to make them school again...

How big are yours, JY? I dun know their eventual adult size...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not too sure but a rough estimate gives the largest at a size of 2.5cm. I think they max out around 3cm or so. Shouldn't be a big species.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    nope this species actually stays quite small..i think you will only get the rare ones that reach 3cm.

JY, where you get your walterworms?? and where you getting live feed now ah?? i need some leh..but everywhere i go the tubifex worms all like dead or got funny colour one..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I culture the walterworms at home. They are very tiny worms, meant for feeding fry.

Tubifex, my area here has a shop selling them - Boon Wan Aquarium.

Since CS closed, this has been my other alternative source. So far so good.