Images
    Country
    Singapore

First Timer...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Heh heh... I can't believe I am posting here... Just got my first DSLR... And playing around with it... Still learning and exploring, esp the terms of photography and all other stuff attached to it, equipment, etc... Still using the camera as it is, no filter yet also...

Tried it on my newts:

Before I use the DSLR, this is the best I can managed... Without flash!...

The image had to be HEAVILY edited!...

I loved the camera!... But I also now realised that there is a need to clean the tank glass VERY well... Even the tiniest of water mark is captured!...

Any advise on what I should/can do to improve?... Besides getting a zoom lens... Which I would need help to get...

Thanks!!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try to go as close as possible, since u using the internal flash.. btw, which camera did you get? perhaps benny can run the list to u ;P

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Heh heh... I can't believe I am posting here... Just got my first DSLR... And playing around with it... Still learning and exploring, esp the terms of photography and all other stuff attached to it, equipment, etc... Still using the camera as it is, no filter yet also...

Tried it on my newts:

Before I use the DSLR, this is the best I can managed... Without flash!...

The image had to be HEAVILY edited!...

I loved the camera!... But I also now realised that there is a need to clean the tank glass VERY well... Even the tiniest of water mark is captured!...

Any advise on what I should/can do to improve?... Besides getting a zoom lens... Which I would need help to get...

Thanks!!

1st thing 1st...Clean your front glass..so many finger stains and such... and don't hit the flash direct at the glass!
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, I got the 350D... And yes, Benny is like a teacher to me now...

Wynx: Yes Sir!... Ya, the first lesson I had learnt is that I had to clean the glass... Took the pic at almost 2am... So, just shoot and sleep... Will definitely clean the glass for the next shoot(s)! In fact, I'd never realised my glass looks that bad till I had seen the pics!!

The flash thing I have to learn... It's the internal flash and so I have to find a way to direct it up and then straight down instead of directly into the glass...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thomas, maybe u might wanna invest in a tripod (20 bucks can get u one) so tat u can take ur pics with a lower shutter speed... and so dun need to really utilise the build-in flash...

or spend more on a external flash... hee...

how much did u pay for ur 350D? bought at sitex?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vincent, I am still reading the instruction booklet! Haha... Need to learn how to reduce the pic size so as to maximise the card storage without sacrificing the pic quality and also how to adjust the shutter speed and aperture, if there is a way to...

I bought the cam at AMK... I told the sales lady I feel like fainting when I paid... Haha... Buying the external flash will have to wait! Haha... In fact, I have an old one meant for a manual focus SLR... Should be able to use that? Want to get the lens first...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Vincent, I am still reading the instruction booklet! Haha... Need to learn how to reduce the pic size so as to maximise the card storage without sacrificing the pic quality and also how to adjust the shutter speed and aperture, if there is a way to...

I bought the cam at AMK... I told the sales lady I feel like fainting when I paid... Haha... Buying the external flash will have to wait! Haha... In fact, I have an old one meant for a manual focus SLR... Should be able to use that? Want to get the lens first...

Arlow, allow me to add this..Please try to shoot in RAW Mode..I cant preach enough to use this mode...color corrections, etc...and allow you to have the highest quality possible. JPegs just doesn't offer as much latitude.

You got ur camera at MS Color, AMK?

If I were to recommend you...

1. Macro Lens
    2. A ST-E2
    3. A Flash plus another flash for slave trigger

And yes, it cost money...
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    Dale Carnegie

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hermit Crab

This one is taken open air...

But there is something blocking the light on top and I can't shift it without scaring the animal... So, just bear with it for the moment...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    allow me *Slap edwin* of cos it cost money...duh

this hobby is an expensive one

you dun really need a tripod, this can be shown to you by the master

but if u want to get one, please get a manfrotto or Slik... they r of better quality and ensure yr camera dun come crashing down when wind blows

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    you dun really need a tripod, this can be shown to you by the master
    we are still amateurs... so e next best thing is a tripod... and lotsa trial and error + experience...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, got the cam at MS Color and Yes, will get the Macro... In fact, I somehow am making that my priority...

As for shooting in RAW... I am quite computer illiterate... Whatever software that can open a jpeg file can open a RAW file? Can I make adjustments like what I am doing in jpeg now? The file size will be pretty big, right?...

Guess this week I will be busy reading and playing with the camera and the different modes after work!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Non-photo related... it's a Paddletail newt. No fire-belly in their common name.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops... Okie dokie, Vinz... Will see how to have that changed...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

thomas, listen to edwin. DO NOT try to save storage space on your card. just download to your computer and clear the card.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Okies... Seems like I have to get another card liao... Not too many pics can be saved...

Maybe for normal shots like gatherings, weddings, then I save in jpeg...

Wah, this IS an expensive hobby! Too late to liao! Kena poisoned liao! Haha...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1GB not enough??? what you shoot .. dun be trigger happy, consider what you want to capture before you hit the shutter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, got the cam at MS Color and Yes, will get the Macro... In fact, I somehow am making that my priority...

As for shooting in RAW... I am quite computer illiterate... Whatever software that can open a jpeg file can open a RAW file? Can I make adjustments like what I am doing in jpeg now? The file size will be pretty big, right?...

Guess this week I will be busy reading and playing with the camera and the different modes after work!...

You can certainly do more with RAW than Jpegs...Simon, Benny and a few will attest to this...

For macro, 100mm canon would be good..but personally I love my tamron 90mm F2.8 just as good....

Next you need to learn how to shoot a higher F Number....

Have fun
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    Dale Carnegie

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah, this IS an expensive hobby! Too late to liao! Kena poisoned liao! Haha...
    in the long long run, it is still cheaper than a norm slr... considering the film cost and the development fees... haiz... somemore, u got no idea how the pictures will come out at the end of the day... only can pray tat the effect u envisage appears on film...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, ok, just checked... Dunno why I had the impression that the free card is 512MB, when it is only 32MB... No wonder can only store ~10 images... That's why I panicked... Cos if it is a 512MB and can only store ~10 images... Then 1GB...

Haha... Ok, ok... That was REALLY STUPID... Sorry, for making you guys go thru it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you mean they not giving out 1gb anymore?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast