Country
    Argentina

Stunted, deformed growth

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Im having a problen lately with some plants, Rotala Sp. green, nanjenshan, etc.

The new new growth is stunted and the new leaves are small and deformed, also the grow rate is very slow.

This also happens with java ferns (narrow), the leaves are deformed and transparent.

By the other hand, plants like glosso, HC, Tenellus are growing like crazy and healthy.

Im using Flourish + KNO3 + KH2PO4 in this 30x30x30 cube tank.

PLease need some advice from the experts....

Regards from Argentina

Ricky.
    solo se que no se nada

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Are you adding enough nutrients for the amount of light given? Check the CO2...add more if necessary. Use the form and fill up the information needed in order for us to help you more.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Water changes? GH? CO2?
    I'll assume the cube is 30cm, so about 7-8 gal total.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedempsey
    Hi,

Im having a problen lately with some plants, Rotala Sp. green, nanjenshan, etc.

The new new growth is stunted and the new leaves are small and deformed, also the grow rate is very slow.

This also happens with java ferns (narrow), the leaves are deformed and transparent.

By the other hand, plants like glosso, HC, Tenellus are growing like crazy and healthy.

Im using Flourish + KNO3 + KH2PO4 in this 30x30x30 cube tank.

PLease need some advice from the experts....

Regards from Argentina

Ricky.

In a planted tank there bound to be some plants that do well and some don't. If you have glosso and etc. doing well, it is only appropriate not to adjust anything.......my 2 cents

Feedback Score
    i have rotala green too in my 3 feet tank and currently it has problem. other plants like Blyxa, HC, Tonina Belem, Ludwiga all doing very well.

i garrantee my CO2 has no problem at 30ppm plus, using external reactor driven by eheim 2028. light is around 3.3WPG. gravel is Amazonia covered with Dennerle Quartz with Dennerle Deponit mix as base. my KNO3 is 5-8ppm. PO4 around 0.2-0.3ppm. K at 10ppm. LGM at 0.5ppm for iron.

the problem of my rotala green is new leaves are pale with green vein. it has a curl looking. tips of some new leaves appeared broken (like what you can see from many stargrass). but the growth is definitely there, though.

my rotala green is newly planted comparing to others but still more than 3 weeks. the deficiency signs to me are lacking of micro like iron but obviously there are lots of EDTA iron in the water column from LGM. my guess is the root system may not be fully developed therefore it can not absorb enough micro from gravel. also EDTA iron can not be easily absorbed by leaves that's why the deficiency happened.

yesterday i added 0.2ppm of seachem iron which is not EDTA based. hope can be absorbed by leaves but i got slight green water. of course it needs some time to see the result.

this also alerts me that when i do trimming for rotala green in the future, i can not just cut the upper part and re-plant. that could lead to another round of deficiency problem. the root is important for rotala green and i have to keep it.

anyone has experience keeping rotala green? it looks like a tricky plant in this sense. cutting and re-planting cause little problems for Tonina belem and ludwiga but definitely not this plant.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Add some Seachem Equilibrium say 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallon of water after the water change only. Give the plants some time to respond. Consider adding a tad more KNO3 and definitely up the KH2PO4 dosage to 1.5-2ppm per dose.

Regards
    Peter Gwee