Country
    Singapore

Cherries die of overstress?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bros here,

This morning i woke up, to a shock. All my cherries die on me. Was wondering could they have die over stress? What i did last night was, introduce a lawn of HC into the tank. Previous night I introduce a new layer of ADA gravel into my tank as well. I guess all these created a stress to my shrimps? Thus causing them to all die?
    please advise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very likely. You probably didn't wash the HC properly (plant farms use insecticide on the plants they're growing usually).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    they got use insecticides???!!! wah piangz!
    then next time muz diligently wash my plantz first liaoz...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I tink new ada soil will release amnonia into the tank, shrimps are very sensitive to amnonia. Tats the reason i tink they die of. Normally when i use ada soil, i run in the tank for few weeks b4 adding shrimps. Check your amnonia level, u can confirm my findings.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

ada soil

i use ada soil too. took me sometime to get from PH 5.6 to PH 6.3 now. so did u check ur PH before or after addin ada soil?

cw

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm...sounds highly possible. But it's rather strange, nothing happens to them on the first day. Rather it's on the 2nd day(after adding the HC), then i have this adverse effect.
    Bro, so according to your recommendation, i would need to run for a tank for a few more weeks before introducing new shrimps?
    Quote Originally Posted by ryo
    I tink new ada soil will release amnonia into the tank, shrimps are very sensitive to amnonia. Tats the reason i tink they die of. Normally when i use ada soil, i run in the tank for few weeks b4 adding shrimps. Check your amnonia level, u can confirm my findings.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro, hmmm...initially i had this fear, so when i got the HC, i got a tub of water to soak the plant in my office for 7 hours before bringing back home, then when i got home, i gave them a good shower for another 2-3 more rounds.
    Do you think it's ok like that?
    IF there's really still have insecticide? do i leave the tank to cycle? WC necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Very likely. You probably didn't wash the HC properly (plant farms use insecticide on the plants they're growing usually).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kemp
    Hmm...sounds highly possible. But it's rather strange, nothing happens to them on the first day. Rather it's on the 2nd day(after adding the HC), then i have this adverse effect.
    Bro, so according to your recommendation, i would need to run for a tank for a few more weeks before introducing new shrimps?
    For new tanks, u have to run in few weeks for the bb to establish themselve. After tat ur amnonia level will decrease and u have to check amnonia level again to make sure zero b4 adding livestock. For mature tanks, probably few days. Need to add on, ada amazonia, which is black soil have the effect of lowering the water ph level. Next time, i tink u need to check water parameter in order to ensure the survival of ur shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro, hmmm...initially i had this fear, so when i got the HC, i got a tub of water to soak the plant in my office for 7 hours before bringing back home, then when i got home, i gave them a good shower for another 2-3 more rounds.
    Do you think it's ok like that?
    IF there's really still have insecticide? do i leave the tank to cycle? WC necessary?
    If other livestock is ok, then not insecticde problem. If onli shrimp tank, have to do water changes and do so test again. Cherry shrimp are very hardy. Next time when u add new substrate, be sure to take out the livestock and let the substrate settle down for a few days b4 adding livestock again. Like tat u can prevent some death of ur livestock.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I do not have much other livestocks. except one more sucker. It's still there. so can i safely confirm thay it's not to do with insecticide?
    WC still needed?
    Or should i leave it to settle down then WC?

Quote Originally Posted by ryo
    If other livestock is ok, then not insecticde problem. If onli shrimp tank, have to do water changes and do so test again. Cherry shrimp are very hardy. Next time when u add new substrate, be sure to take out the livestock and let the substrate settle down for a few days b4 adding livestock again. Like tat u can prevent some death of ur livestock.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think your shrimps got PH shock...
    Adding ADA soil PH minimum drop to 5.5

Hi Bros here,

This morning i woke up, to a shock. All my cherries die on me. Was wondering could they have die over stress? What i did last night was, introduce a lawn of HC into the tank. Previous night I introduce a new layer of ADA gravel into my tank as well. I guess all these created a stress to my shrimps? Thus causing them to all die?
    please advise

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro,

in that case, should i just leave the water to cycle itself in the tank for a few more days before adding new live stocks into it?

Quote Originally Posted by jojoe
    I think your shrimps got PH shock...
    Adding ADA soil PH minimum drop to 5.5

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bros here,

please advise
    It is good to buy plant from reliable sources that plant has been proper post treated pesticide. Your problem may be any residue pesticide that comes with the plant. I have heard many instances when shrimps are killed after new plant were introduced, recently someone killed 2/3 of his 20 CRS by putting in new plants.

I was talking to a farm owner, he has been made aware that his plant killed shrimps (fish is less affected) by his exported to buyer and he is setting up monitor shrimp tanks to check on the plants he is sellings. Pesticide is used in plant production country, plants should be post treated before sending the plant are sold to Singapore farm, appearantly not properly treated.

My advise is to soak newly bought plant for 3 to 5 days, change water every day before using them.
    silane

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi kemp,

Personally, i think it's becuz of the ADA soil that giv ur shrimp a ph shock. Don't worry about the ammonia thingy, if ur filter is matured, the nitrification will be done quite fast. check your pH, i've little experience on shrimps keeping, so if the pH is too low for shrimps, you gotta do something on it. If the pH is acceptable, then you must carefully accustomise your shrimp.
    Just my suggestion, Good luck bro!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My filter have been running for one month liao, so i guess it's should be considered matured. Hmm...so water change for the next few days? Then introduce new live stocks? Am i right?

Quote Originally Posted by hirowen
    hi kemp,

Personally, i think it's becuz of the ADA soil that giv ur shrimp a ph shock. Don't worry about the ammonia thingy, if ur filter is matured, the nitrification will be done quite fast. check your pH, i've little experience on shrimps keeping, so if the pH is too low for shrimps, you gotta do something on it. If the pH is acceptable, then you must carefully accustomise your shrimp.
    Just my suggestion, Good luck bro!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if u want to play safe, let it run for 1 week, then introduce new livestock slowly, shouldnt be a problem. At least now a lesson learnt for u, and for us

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Me personally think the problem lies with the addition of ADA Aquasoil!
    AquaSoil will reduce PH considerably and as shrimps are much more sensitive, they might be lost in the process!

IMO, if you are adding soil to the substrate, you should first remove the livestock! After the addition, wait for a few days and after a few water change before putting in back your livestocks!

I think you should carry out regular water change to bring up the PH before adding anymore livestocks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya...a really bad experience...
    now with another set of problem...hair algae settling in now..heard from bros here, yamatos can do the trick
    but my tank jus kena this attack, dunno whether can they survie in my tank to tackle my hair algae prob...
    Quote Originally Posted by hirowen
    if u want to play safe, let it run for 1 week, then introduce new livestock slowly, shouldnt be a problem. At least now a lesson learnt for u, and for us

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Confirm its the rise in ammonia that causes the death of your shrimps.
    Hair algae - killer. Yamatos can do much help either. Best way is to manually pluck out/away the "hair" - tough work. Either that or u gotta work on those lightning and nitrate level to "kill" them. But along with the plants will die on you as well...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Are you injecting CO2 to this tank? What is your KH? (I bet its gone down real low or even bottom out due to the peat effect from the aquasoil. Dosing CO2 with little KH buffering is plain asking for it.).

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast