Images
    Country
    Singapore

Convert 2ft tank into a "herb garden"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have been thinking for a long time if this is workable.

I want to plant some herbs like basil, mint, thyme.

If I put garden soil in my spare 2 footer indoor, place a 30W FL tube above it, and cover with transparent acrylic sheet (with holes), will it work as a mini green house?

Anyone tried it?

Bear in mind that there will be no drainage for the water.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    what cant you just put the herbs in pots and place them near the windows? its much easier..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I wish I have that space.

No space for any pots

Besides, I always like the idea of a green house indoor
    When I get bored, I can watch my plants....
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, it will work, but you will need to make sure that you do not over-water. I'd suggest you look on this forum, or anywhere online on vivarium set-up how-to's.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    ACtually you dont need alot of spcae for that... the space taken to house that 2 ft aquarium can already grow about 6-7 types of herbs.
    But if you want to do it this way.. key is not to let it get tooooo humid in there.. Singapore is humid enough. You could put some big rocks below for drainage if you want... and you probably dont need a cover for it if its just growing herbs

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Ranmasatome

I think my parents can tolerate my fish tank but not a pot lying around in this flat. The 2 tier fish tanks are already there, so I think they won't bother much what I plant in it as long as I don't invite ants/mosquitoes.

The reason for planting in the tank is to hold the lighting too. If I put the plants in pots (place on a table or something), I can't create that artificial daylight, isn't it?

If I let the water drain to the bottom of the tank, won't the mosquitoes breed in there?

Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    ACtually you dont need alot of spcae for that... the space taken to house that 2 ft aquarium can already grow about 6-7 types of herbs.
    But if you want to do it this way.. key is not to let it get tooooo humid in there.. Singapore is humid enough. You could put some big rocks below for drainage if you want... and you probably dont need a cover for it if its just growing herbs
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Well..the reason why i suggested not to use a tank was mainly due to lighting.. with the tank unless you can place it at a good location.. you ahve to use lighting.. The precise reason why i suggested pots in the first place was to save you some cost...so you can place the pots where the sun gets into your house.

Most mosquitoes will only breed on still standing water taht is exposed to the air surface. the reason for the rocks at the bottom was for drainage.. but on top of that layer of rocks..you also need to put a thick layer of soil/peat-mix or whatever you want to grow your plants in. That layer will cover over the larger rocks..so when water drains down..the mozzies cant get to it.. and over the day..the water will and can evaporate out. Dont make it too wet though cos if water logs in there your roots could rot..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah...it makes sense to move the pots around
    There is not a place in this flat where I can place the pot to catch the sunlights

You layer of rocks suggestion sounds good.
    Now I get what you mean

Cheers
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?