Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Dec 2005 AQ Round Island Excursion Details (Pix intensive)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    There's actually 3 fishes commonly called the rummynose. Hemigrammus bleheri, Hemigrammus rhodostomus, and Petitella georgiae. Of these 3, the true rummynose is Hemigrammus rhodostomus, but the one commonly seen for sale is bleheri, because this is the species with the largest amount of red on the head region. Petitella georgiae is called the False Rummynose and occasionally offered for sale.

A very good article on how to tell them apart, as written by Randy Carey:
    http://www.characin.com/carey/articl...rummynose.html

Sawbwa resplendens is commonly called the Asian Rummynose but it is quite different from the South American rummynoses. Sawbwa males have red tips to the dorsal, anal and each lobe of their forked tails, plus a red nose. They do not have stripes in the tail unlike the South American rummynose tetras.

Sawbwa hail from Myanmar, in particular, Lake Inle I think. Probably Choy might know more.

here's a male Sawbwa resplendens

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    woah...excellent colouration!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Its nice to join the excursion even if its for a short while, left before lunch.

I find its too early for my lunch so decided to drop by L35 take a look.

Enjoy meeting some of the guys here!

Thanks Benny for organising the excursion, too bad couldn't persist all the way.
    Thanks Michael for the ride, to think I used to walk in almost every wk when the farms are newly shifted there! But still managed to walk my way out.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Pics of first stop

*Phew* Finally... Ok, what I have is nothing compared to Benny's and Simon's... So, better post first. Haha... Bear with me!

Some pics at the first stop, Mainland Tropical Fish Farm:

Display tank of large fish eg. Pacus at the entrance of the farm.

Some interesting fauna at Mainland:

Peter's Elephant Nose, Gnathonemus petersii:

Butterfly fish, Pantodon buchholzi :

Water snake... *Yikes*...:

Catfish or Botia? SIMI fish?:

Bumblebee Catfish, Microglanis poecilus:

Can be kept with tetras?

Ok... Still have some more to come!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 6th Dec 2005 at 00:47.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Pics of second stop

Hmm.... At second stop... Only fish here... Other pics not nice... I think my pics are better after lunch...

Puffer!

These are coppertips? Or Golden tetras? Scientific name? Couldn't find them in my mini-atlas (cirra 1987!!)

Arrowanas in a HUGE tank!

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thomas, that is a Leptobotia species. I am not certain which one it is. Maybe Leptobotia pellegrini. Perhaps Bagrus dude over at PF might know or ask Choy.

That "bumblebee catfish" is not Microglanis poecilus, I think. They're a species of Akysis. I had some and mine were identified as Akysis prashadi. I wouldn't be surprised if these were the same as mine as I found their markings to be closely identical to the two that I previously owned.

The "golden" tetras are Hasemania nana. Commonly called Silver-tip Tetras I think. Very voracious feeders and aggressive towards smaller fishes. I would not trust these with Boraras or anything smaller and more fragile fishes.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    These are coppertips? Or Golden tetras? Scientific name? Couldn't find them in my mini-atlas (cirra 1987!!)

Hasemania nana, one of the few characins without an adipose fin.

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    That "bumblebee catfish" is not Microglanis poecilus, I think. They're a species of Akysis. I had some and mine were identified as Akysis prashadi. I wouldn't be surprised if these were the same as mine as I found their markings to be closely identical to the two that I previously owned.
    I checked with Dr Axelrod's mini atlas (1987 version, though)... And it is Microglanis poecilus leh... Choy??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not much into cats, but looks like fat Akysis.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    I checked with Dr Axelrod's mini atlas (1987 version, though)... And it is Microglanis poecilus leh... Choy??
    Hi Thomas, suspected it was microglanis also. Btw, I think there is 2 subspecies, 1 asian the other african. So both of you might be right, Let me dig a little and come back.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

3rd stop and lunch

A couple more fishes and finally, some human faces...

A killifish, a BEAUTIFUL killifish... Sharks! I think I am getting into killies soon liao!

What IS this??

A couple of corydoras cats, someone can ID them, perhaps:

After the 3rd stop, a lot of us are complaining of too much info and too little energy left! Haha... Time for a lunch break! Here's 2 fellas enjoying a book during lunch at Pasir Ris West Plaza. Identify yourselves! Haha!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

4th stop @ Jln Kayu

Okies, so we left Pasir Ris and this stop is Sea View Aquarium @ Jalan kayu...

The display tank at the entrance of Sea View. Pardon the wierd colouring... Was adjuisting the colour cos it was too bright.

Inside the shop

And off we go picking at the fish...

A scale eating tetra. I had never seent his before... It looks like Corydoras hastatus! I was so happy as I tot I managed to find cheap hastatus... Then I realised they are tetras instead...

The American or Florida Flag Fish, an algae eating killifish...

Woodshrimp!

The cute hillstream loach... And a Yamato shrimp...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yet another contaminant scooped from one of the LFS (forgot which one liao), most like a juvenile Leptobarbus.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Justin, how come the hillstream loach looks like it just flipped over and died?

If you thought that killie was pretty, wait till you see the more colourful ones. Can rival marine fish man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    If you thought that killie was pretty, wait till you see the more colourful ones. Can rival marine fish man.
    like this one?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    yet another contaminant scooped from one of the LFS (forgot which one liao), most like a juvenile Leptobarbus.
    Like no color. Never aclimatise the fish first? Got diffuse the light source?

Nevertheless, crisp, sharp and clear!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Like no color. Never aclimatise the fish first? Got diffuse the light source?

Nevertheless, crisp, sharp and clear!

Cheers,

this fish no colour leh. magic of the 100mm macro think I shot at f10 and 1/250 heeehee.

need to borrow one of your 550EX to confirm, but pretty sure the ST-E2 is flaky liaoz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok guys...Didn't take a lot of photos on this trip as I have to lead the convoy, gather the lost sheeps along the way, see plants, buy fish and enjoy myself...

Here's the set from Eastern part of the tour. Mainland Tropical fish farm.

Mainland Troprical Fish Farm was the first leg of our tour after picking up the second group from Pasir Ris MRT.

On our arrival, we realise that it was really crowded that day. They had a Koi show and competition there too.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thomas, the killie in the pic is not Nothobranchius guentheri, but rather Nothobranchius foerschi. Another commonly sold species at the LFS that get their supplies from Malaysia.

That cat is definitely not Microglanis poecilus. I have a pic of my Akysis prashadi somewhere but I definitely do not think that its Microglanis.

The hastatus lookalike is Aphyocharax paraguayensis, the Dawn Tetra. Very voracious feeders and extremely pugnacious little fellas. Will not hesitate to harass and kill smaller fishes.

The two corys are Corydoras axelrodi and Corydoras rabauti respectively. The pipefish is definitely a syngnathid but I'm not sure which species, maybe Doryichthys boaja?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Obviously, the attraction for us isn't the Kois, but the shopping!

Assortment of wood, rocks, cockbarks outside the product showroom. Inside the showroom, they carry the usual assortment of sundry items and accessories. Most of the products that are distributed by them are sold at the recommended retail price so as not to undercut their retailers in the market.

Cheers,