Thread: Changing water

Feedback Score

Changing water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys,

i noe it's mite sound silly but hw do u guys normally prepare for a water change? i read dat i've to aerate the water first, dan add in the salt, use a powerhead to help dissolve the salt in the water. is tis correct? do i hafta achieve the same salinty, ph as my tank?

btw, does tunze hv a hang on model? hw much do they cost n where can i get them?

cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oooh, reply deleted cos I realise he is talking about marine DARK SIDE! [:0]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i noe it's mite sound silly but hw do u guys normally prepare for a water change? i read dat i've to aerate the water first, dan add in the salt, use a powerhead to help dissolve the salt in the water. is tis correct? do i hafta achieve the same salinty, ph as my tank?
    the reason why u aerate the water first is to remove the chlorine.. alternatively, u can leave the water overnight prior to changing water... once it is done, measure the SG of the tank and then add the salt to the bucket of water waiting... add a bit at a time and aerate it.. once the salt is dissolved, measure the SG.. if it is not enuff, add more, if too much, add more water. However, a difference for e.g. tank's SG is 1.025 and the water waiting to change is 1.026... it shouldn't be a problem at all..just change.. if your tank is larger and the water that u are changing is like 20%... those little difference will be buffered off.

btw, does tunze hv a hang on model? hw much do they cost n where can i get them?
    i dun think Tunze have a hangon model.. they usually cost ard $200-300+.. so far the only place i know that sells this is Reef World in Lor. Harlus.. this is according to Spiff.... speaking of which.. Spiff.. where have u been?? have not heard from u for a long time..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    thks for the reply! []

wat abt the ph? do i've to check it as well? hw abt the powerhead?

one more qns, last nite when i got hm, i found my true peculiar clown fish dead!! dunno y oso??? i've a 3ft tank wif some live rocks, 2 cleaner shrimps, 6 hermit crabs, 1 starfish, 1 yellowtail, 1 dottyback n the peculiar clown fish. at first, i tot there was a prob wif my water condition but after testing it, ammonia's 0ppm, ph at 8.2, nitrite at 0ppm, nitrate at 10ppm. can anyone tell me y it died?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wat abt the ph? do i've to check it as well? hw abt the powerhead?
    if u are using synthetic salt, the pH should not differ much.. however, if u dun feel safe.. u can always measure. Personally, when i change water, i only measure the SG. What u mean what abt the powerhead?

one more qns, last nite when i got hm, i found my true peculiar clown fish dead!! dunno y oso??? i've a 3ft tank wif some live rocks, 2 cleaner shrimps, 6 hermit crabs, 1 starfish, 1 yellowtail, 1 dottyback n the peculiar clown fish. at first, i tot there was a prob wif my water condition but after testing it, ammonia's 0ppm, ph at 8.2, nitrite at 0ppm, nitrate at 10ppm. can anyone tell me y it died?
    basically, your water parameters are fine.. so, dun think that it is the reason.. what are the signs on the clownfish?? cloudy eyes, have something like spider-web on its body, white spots, fin rot?? can't really help without such info..[:]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    i meant do i nid to use a powerhead to help dissolve the salt?

the clown was pretty 'mouldy' when i got it....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes.. while the salt will simply dissolve by itself.. it is good to have some water current to assist and speed up the process

two reason why it turn mouldy..
    1. it could be suffering from Velvet disease
    2. the fish had died and it had been a while b4 u found it.

Feedback Score
    it was mouldy even b4 it died... juz my luck... any idea wat caused it? wat's velvet disease? onli heard of ich... where can i find info on fishes online?

cheers!

Feedback Score
    Kelvin, i found you are damn knowledgeable. May be next time ask you to be my partner to start a marine business....[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ivan.. thanks for the compliment.. to me, aquarium keeping is an ART rather than science (guess some might differ).. it is all based on experience and that is done thru trial and error and staying with what works for me.... of course.. plus reading from books..anyway.. i'm sure that there are some other ppl who are more knowledgeable than i am.. and trust me.. there are!!!... and they have their own ways of keeping aquarium...regardless Freshwater or Saltwater.. as for your compliment, i accept...thanks..[]