Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Pennyworts

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Pennyworts are normally grown in the emersed form. But I have seen 1 LFS growing it submerged. I like the shape of the plant/leave, and am wondering whether it will survie long underwater. Tks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, izzit this kind ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, this the plant I am referring too. Nice setup you hv there!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    it can survive underwater just fine.. Hydrocotyle verticillata

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tks for the confirmation. In case anyone wants to grow this plant, I bought a pot consisting of at about 30 plantlets for $5 (pot inclusive) from a florist. Much cheaper than getting from the LFSs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, haha that's not my setup, its Amano's.
    By the way, which florist did u find it or its common in most florist? Like those along Thomson Rd (Far East Flora, etc).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ehlim..how's it adapting to submerged state..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I got 2 plantlets from a nice auntie who got around 3m2 of this on a grass patch (she told me it's for gold fish food); 1 w/out any leaf & 1 with a single leaf.

Just stuck them into the gravel, no melting or rotting, in 1 wk + I got additional 5 leaves.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    waah... where can i find this nice auntie haa...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ehlim
    Tks for the confirmation. In case anyone wants to grow this plant, I bought a pot consisting of at about 30 plantlets for $5 (pot inclusive) from a florist. Much cheaper than getting from the LFSs.
    Hi ehlim,
    Do you mean we can actually get it direct from the florists and start planting? Saw them in a florist shop at the famous whampoa market but was having 2nd thoughts about direct transfer of the plantlets.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought a whole bunch of the pennywort sometime early last year from a fish farm in Pasir Ris. The staff at the farm just removed the plants straight from the 'floating crates' in the pond near the entrance. It doesn't cost you much if you just want a handful.

My concern when buying from florists and putting straight in the tank is...don't they use insecticide on these potted plants?
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, do you have the name and address of this fish farm? Interested to pay a visit to the fish farm.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by plant_newbie
    Hi, do you have the name and address of this fish farm? Interested to pay a visit to the fish farm.
    I'm so Sorry, plant_newbie. I didn't take note of the name of the farm. I can only remember its just 10mins bus ride from the Pasir Ris Bus terminal. Its just after the 'canal'.

Maybe some of the guys here know which I'm referring to...or just too many farms in Pasir Ris?

Ok.. found a thread on the LFS list here .
    Could be that 'Mainland Tropical fish farm'. Give them a call @ Tel: 6581-2550 and see if they still have the plants .
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by K11
    Hi, izzit this kind ?

I think what you have there is Hydrocotyle verticillata.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    I have a MASSIVE MASSIVE amount of this growing in my garden.. if you want let me know via pm.. price is definately cheaper than whatever auntie you may find.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Auntie gives foc. But since her garden is own by HDB she grows just enought for her Gold fishes. Sorry guys, can't tell you all the location; Auntie might find her grass patch missing the next day

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There are about 3 species that I know of. Cardamine lyrata, Hydrocotyle leucocephala and Hydrocotyle verticillata.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Yeah, I've seen this pennywort sold in garden centers. Couldn't be sure they were the same as the verticillatas before this. I've seen them grown and sold half submersed in jars. My memory's fuzzy, but I think they have some yellow (or is it white) tiny flowers too. My next door auntie used to grow them too many years back in water vats before she threw them all away. Grows like weeds, she said.

I've also grown leucocephala, but it got too weedy in the tank and my brother took care of it all. Personally, I would go for the verticillata as it does not creep everywhere like the leucocephala.

Just out of interest, there is also this edible form growing in my garden. Its Hydrocotyle asiatica, commonly called pegaga in Malay (or gotu kola for those herbal/ayurvedic fanatics out there). It is eaten raw, rather like salad (or the Malay "ulam") with sambal . Never eaten it before though, but love growing it as a ground cover between plants. It grows quite fast, again a bit weedy, and unlike the aquatic hydrocotyles, have a much more serrated edge to the leaf. I've thrown them into water vats before, but they seem to grow slower, don't seem to like it. I found them growing wild in many places. Quite common especially in rural areas.

Min
    Regards

MIN