Images
    Country
    Singapore

Small fiddler crabs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi... I just got a small fiddler crab from the AQ excursion trip and am searching for info on the best care for it. The purchase was made to rescue it from dehydrating to death like all its other tankmates. So please pardon for not being able to research before purchase.

Any idea on the way it feeds? What does it feed on? Does it require full strength marine water? Will it survive with fresh water for any time? Also, can anyone identify it?

Will upload the pics of this fella later, after downloading and processing from the camera. It is a common small crab, with 1 claw being bigger than the other. It has a white with brown stripes back...

Thanks... Oh, if the thread does not belong here, thanks to the Moderator(s) for shifting it to the proper forum.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thomas,

It's the two cute little ones from Tropical Fish International? They seem to be two different species.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One of the 2 that XnSdVd bought from the first stop...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They are young Uca species. I don't know what species exactly. They'll need a brackish marsh-type environment with some sand for digging into.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, thanks thomas I'm sure he's in good hands =) From what I know they filter the sand after the tide goes out. And actually make little sand balls, "crab pellets" according to semota. Which means the sand you bought should be small enough to fit in his mouth.

I've seen them in mangroves and in/around breakwaters so I'll assume they require brackish water to survive. And it's a male, the females have two claws that are smaller than the big one on the male. Erm... they burrow into the sand/mud when the tide comes in so... yeah. I can't think of anything else at the moment, shall help you research.

Benny:
    The remaining male actually killed the other one... kinda sad

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mmm..yeah..the marble crabs....wanted to get a couple of them as well..but sadly, they aren't going to be friendly neighbours with my hermit...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The crab died liao... Think it started out badly as the whole tankful of them had died before Shanan bought it... Oh well... I have 1 empty tank now...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ahhh poor guy.. shoulda let it go at the nature reserve... I've seen similar looking crabs there. And my name's spelt Shannon btw =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Oh well... I have 1 empty tank now...
    Well...Don't let that go to waste. There's nothing more sinful than an empty tank!

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by XnSdVd
    The remaining male actually killed the other one... kinda sad
    So that means one left?

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Carb 1 got killed by Crab 2.

Crab 2 just died.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry, Shanan... Ok ok... its Shannon...

Yup, Crabs 1 and 2 both died.

Benny, empty tank MIGHT be saved for another fiddler... After more reading now! :bigsmile

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    fiddler crabs aren't easy to keep in captivity. they need brackish water and some land area. even then, there is a high chance they will not do well. perhaps it's best to leave them in the wild, imho..

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/ot...iddlercrab.htm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup, buying more just allows lfs to bring in more.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, agree. That's why for almost a year, there was no updates to this thread. Thanks for digging this up...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by XnSdVd View Post
    Carb 1 got killed by Crab 2.

Crab 2 just died.
    That empty tank needs a few fiddler crabs to entertain you.
    I have 2 male and 2 female fiddler crabs in a 10 gallon brackish water tank. Half sand and half water with some shells and rocks for hiding. They have molted several times in about 9 weeks which means they are growing. They burrow in the sand and dance a lot. They are so cute to watch. I have done much reading so if you have any questions, I can try to help. Paula

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well well, looks like you dug up a dinosaur of a thread =) Thanks for the offer by the way, i'm looking into South East Asian freshwater crabs now so i'm sure alot of what you've learned with fiddlers will apply to them as well.

And there's actually a mangrove near my place that has a small population of fiddlers so it really doesn't make sense for me to keep the little guys in captivity

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I got a new crab... It is black and it is not very active... Maybe I can post a picture of it soon and see if you can advise on how to better keep it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    It would be great to see a pic. I would like to know more about fresh water crabs. Can they be in a tank with fish?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i kept one with fish and it survived for several months.

From what i can tell it died because there wasn't enough food getting to the bottom, a lack of cover which led to increased stress and the water might have been too warm.