Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What temperatures are your vivariums at?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What temperatures are your vivariums at?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just want to know, in a primitive closed vivarium (small five-plan tank with it's cover on) with small ventilation holes, damp soil and a daily morning spraying, what will the temperature inside be like in tropical Singapore nowadays? Anyone (Wildginger!) has any idea? I'm looking to grow crypts in mine and I read that they do best in 25 deg.C. ()

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine is a 2ft tank, covered with some ventilation. End of the day temperature is ~32C. Means mid-day temperature would be ~35C or more. I won't know as I am not at home. If at home, the room would be airconditioned and the temperature would be lower.

I have a crypt in it, incidentally... in a shaded corner...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    I just want to know, in a primitive closed vivarium (small five-plan tank with it's cover on) with small ventilation holes, damp soil and a daily morning spraying, what will the temperature inside be like in tropical Singapore nowadays? Anyone (Wildginger!) has any idea? I'm looking to grow crypts in mine and I read that they do best in 25 deg.C. ()
    Hey Squee, normally with lighting on it, the temperature in it will be at a humid 28-32 degrees depending on the range of day. For instance, since we're having a cooler month now, the temperature average would be around 28 degrees. If ya have omitted the lighting and instead having natural lighting from a balcony sill or near a window, temperature would be on a higher side of plus minus 2-3 degrees which in plant terms is a lot.

But also, as a guideline, never to have them in a tank above 32 degrees as practiacally ya're having them in Dubai!! But for crypts in order to do well, semi shade is the best having a constant temperature of 24-26 degrees being the ideal range.

Another issue is that, if ya have mistings done twice a day provided there're enough ventilation holes, would stabilize the temperature.

For best results, natural partial sunlit tank would ideal as it spurts the biological timing growth in plants such as in this one crypts.

For me personally, all of my vivarium tanks are having a constant temperature of 23-24 degrees having the occasional times of higher temperatures of 26 degrees for those tanks which are by the window.

Oh yea, just to add, in the coming months of January till late March, try to have it in a more cooler spot in your home as the "heat" will be in during these months especially.

So what crypts ya're intending to grow anyway in the tank?
    I was thinking of adding emmersed versions of aponogetons but they require a higher light output coupled with cool conditions, but it has a dormancy period of which they have to go through though.

Hope these helps.

Regards,
    Phillipe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    You'll need proper ventilation with fans to achieve such temperatures. I've never tried crypts emersed but if you bought yours from Teo's as emersed forms, you shouldn't have any problems with them. Keep the lighting minimal and they'll do alright I think.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thomas, my vivariums temp are similar to yours. no air-con

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Fei Miao
    Thomas, my vivariums temp are similar to yours. no air-con
    Mine worse... No aircon and windows closed as it is in my room and my room is along the corridor... How I wish I can open the windows or have the aircon 24/7!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the info! I'll bear in mind that those are only approximations...

My tank is situated near a window, but doesn't recieve any direct sunlight. It's not exactly a vivarium, it's just soaked soil with crypts on it. So far, no new growth but no melting down either. The lone crypt is Wendtii, a specimen bought from an LFS when it is still in its emersed form. I'm planning to add in more crypts later on, something like a jungle in my mind.

I have an idea, which is leaving a mini computer fan (the mini types, not your regular ones) running at intervals of the day in the tank. The wiring will all be properly insulated of course. Will this help circulation, because my tank is really small? If so, how often do you guys suggest I time the fan to turn on?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ya mentioned having the crypt in soaked soil. In fact that's not a good starting medium to have for the crypts. The root system will not be able to breathe porperly for lack of ventilation and movement of spaces in between the roots. What i suggest is to have a mixture of laterite or if possible, leica ( clay pellets ). In a way, these helps to prevent rot due to stagnant water mixed with soil at the roots structure. What the lecia does is to allow gases exchange within the roots and the soil/leica mixture freely.

As for the lighting wise, it sounds fine as long as ya don't have direct sun on it. For the fan, i don't think it's necessary as yours is a small tank, wind drafts will naturally occur in the tank since it's placed near the window. This is caused by external surrounding heat.

Regards,
    Phillipe.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The soil they're in is some type of old aquarium gravel that I had... it's very similar to ADA's Aquasoil. Is this good enough, or should I really change?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    I grow mine in peat moss mixed with gravel and vermiculite. Some straight in coconut peat (still in experimental stage). I use the gravel and vermiculite just to give the medium more ventilation, and have the pots half submerged with water. The peat stains the water tea coloured, rather like tannins in their native environment. But don't think your wendtii needs this, they are quite adaptable in my opinion.

I also use a computer fan wired up to AC/DC converter, running 24/7. Before I had it, the soil and sometimes old growth tends to develop mould. Don't think its beneficial. My tank is also only 1 feet +, not much air movement in there. Good to have ventilation so air exchange on leaf surface would be better.

Just my setup, hope it helps.
    Regards

MIN