Country
    Singapore

Wu Hu Aquarium a.k.a Ben's LFS

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

During the recent AQ Excursion, we extended the trip to include the recently opened Wu Hu Aquarium.

Details as follows:

Wu Hu Aquarium
    Blk 71 Seng Poh Road #01-39
    Tel: 62270935
    Interim Operating Hours:
    Monday to Saturday : 0830 hrs to 2130 hrs
    Sunday : 0830 hrs to 2000 hrs

The newly renovated shop is much more spacious than the two previous shops that Ben had. It's located just opposite the old Tiong Bahru market where most of his regular customers are familiar with. Ben's first shop was located inside the Tiong Bahru Market itself and was there for the longest time. I used to visit them when I was still in school. That shop expanded from one unit to the two units a few years ago. Due to the renovation of the market, Ben had to relocate his shop to 22 Havelock Road, where Keong Seong Aquarium is located. That shop is now closed and this new shop officially opened for business on 1 Dec 2005. The display tank on the front of his shop is still yet to be set up, but it's most likely to be a planted tank accordingly to Ben.

The bulk of the staple small fishes are located on the left hand side of the shop. The tanks run almost through the entire left wall. Tetras, barbs, rasboras, corydoras, swordtails, guppies, etc. You name it, Ben's probably got it at some point in time or another. Besides these bread and butter offerings, he also has larger fishes such as arowanas and other odd balls further inside the shop.

Goldfishes lines the right entrance. Wonder if it's for Feng Shui reasons? In between these two racks of tanks, there are three large blue holding containers for aging water to be used for the tanks and for packing the livestocks. Nets and pails are neatly stacked at the side for customers to help themselves if they wish.

With five car (actually 4 cars and 1 van!) loads of AQ members, we managed to make it a really cosy place during our visit. Even then, there is plenty of space for us to move around and not get in each other's way. The light colored tiled flooring really gives the shop a nice, clean, fresh look.

More to come!

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 9th Dec 2005 at 01:04.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ben was happy to see us and extend his usual warm hospitality. Obviously very proud of his new shop, he gave us (or those of us whose faces are not glued to his tanks) a short introduction to his new set up. The carefully thought out arrangement was a result of his years of experience in retailing and his opportunities to reference some of the aquatic retail outlets around the world.

The new shop is fairly deep and here's a view of the main section where all the livestock are located. Basically, the shop is divided into 2 halves, with livestocks in the front and sundries at the back. There is suppose to be more than 150 tanks in total and we believe that's excluding the betta tanks further in. Ben hopes to be able to cater to a diversified group by being able to offer different types of fishes for different hobbyists and the sheer variety of fishes available there is certainly testimonial to this philosophy.

Aquatic plants compliment most aquarium set up and Ben has also set aside six tanks just to house aquarium plants. The Aquarium plant section is located just opposite the cashier counter, in the middle of the shop. Staple offering like Hygrophilia, Echinodorus, Rotala are available in pots and those looking for plants on driftwood can find them in the lower tanks. Any other plants that are not on displayed can be ordered from the shop as well. It's great to see a greater emphasis on aquarium plants at Ben's shop!!

As can be seen, the new shop has plenty of space to accomodate our entire group, which would have been impossible in the last two shop. The photo below shows the large fish section where there are 18 tanks in 6 racks located just before the dry goods section. Arowanas, bichirs, large catfishes amongst other are also popular with Ben's customers.

Space is always a premium and Ben has creatively put all the larger items such as canister filters, light sets etc on top of all the fish racks to save space. These items can easily be retreived if customers wish to inspect them.

More to come..

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 7th Dec 2005 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The back of the shop is where Ben keep all the sundry items such as food, medication as well as aquarium accessories. In our opinion, this is a lot more tactical than his previous two shop layouts. When you pick up your supplies, you must walk past the livestock gallery and chances of incremental sales are much higher this way.

It takes about 15 mins just to walk to the end. Just Kidding! Well...if you do browse as you walk along, then it's true!

In anycase, bettas are presented in a section dedicated to themselves, with fairly spacious tanks. There are some really good looking plakats there too! Aquarium accessories such as water changer, thermometers and valves are located just next to it in their respective racks.

Food, medication water conditioners and fertilizers are all neatly stacked on the opposite shelves. All the major brands such as Tetra, JBL, Sera, Nutrafin, Tropica, Hikari, Ocean Free, Interpet etc are on the shelves.

Last bit!

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 6th Dec 2005 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some of the livestock seen at the shop..

Not too sure what it is. But I'm sure hwchoy knows...

The catfish above is more commonly known as porthole catfish here.

And here's a cute little crayfish!

Obviously there is a lot more and there wasn't enough time at there shop. We were also tired from running around the whole day and will probably be back to scoop somemore goodies from Ben's tank another day.

Ok. End of update. Those of you guys who visit the place, don't forget to drop us a line telling us what you see there!

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 6th Dec 2005 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Some of the livestock seen at the shop..

Not too sure what it is. But I'm sure hwchoy knows...
    nice fat Eirmotus octozona.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    first class service from the boss too
    Last edited by benny; 6th Dec 2005 at 16:47.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    look like NTUC supermarket!! :O

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    HA....ye.. i felt it looks more like Econ Minimart, the way he place the fish food etc.......very neat and tidy....best is it's spacious...bettas have tanks for their own, unlke most lfs that pack them like selling moss like that...poor thing
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Update!

The front of the shop with the big water container has been changed. It now houses another two rows of tanks for MORE FISHES!!!

Will update with pictures when I have the chance.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Update!

The front of the shop with the big water container has been changed. It now houses another two rows of tanks for MORE FISHES!!!

Cheers,
    cool! seen any new bristlenoses there?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Update!

Cheers,
    YES!!!YES!!YES!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    waha...expanding expanding expanding!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes MORE fishes!!! Heard that he'll be coming in tanganyika next week!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The tank at the front of the shop has this Aro swimming together with quite a number of tetras in a planted setup, I asked Ben, he says they are swim without fear of the aro.

Did my CNY shopping there today.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not tetras, harlequin rasboras.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    not tetras, harlequin rasboras.
    Ooops hehe pardon my mistake.
    Can't remember were there cardinals also.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    don't have leh haha. was just there last evening.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    think my mistake, see too many fishies already.

Or maybe the aro ATE them all already, cos I was there early afternoon.
    So by the time u arrived, dinner time over for the aro. hehehe

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just came back from Ben's shop..

There are lots of cardinal and harlequin in the aro-planted display tank.

I saw this pony-tail sale person trying to explain to an old man that the light used for the aro-planted display tank is a 'special light meant for arowana' (though honestly I think it must be just regular 6500-7500k light) when the pony-tail-fellow lift up one end of the light.

Now the light is supported on the 2 brace and the pony-tail guy need to raise his hand to lift one side of the light.. you probably guessed it.. the other end of the light went about 4-5 inches into the water .. water starts to gash into the light-holder flooding the end of the FL-tube.. I watch in horror and momentarily I froze, thinking I will see a electric-gold arowana.. luckily the pony-tail chap put the light back and water starts to flow back to the tank...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    woah.. haa... thankfully the arowana didn't jump out haa...

so any interesting fish that you saw??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast