Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to maintain Winslow fern?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've a bunch of winslow fern for awhile now. The frilly tips of the ferns are starting to grow brown roots... How to i maintain it? trim away the frilly ends or the whole leaves so that new leaves can grow?

Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Let it be and see if the roots at the tips are actually plantlets, which Windelovs will develop abundantly after a while. It's one of the easiest ferns: just medium to low light and minimal care (no need CO2, fert, hugs and kisses) will do.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh! i have been wondering for awhile and scratching my head bald, trying to figure out a solution

but the roots are hanging in "mid-air".... looks kinda weird... hmm...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if u hate them, u can juz plug them away... then you will not have daughter Windelovs...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yappie, try to have lesser water circulation where ur ferns are, they hated it.
    i experienced before, and was adviced.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by richietay
    Yappie, try to have lesser water circulation where ur ferns are, they hated it.
    i experienced before, and was adviced.
    Nah, thats not true. Circulation is about the only way the CO2 and nutrients can get to a plant since they don't move around. If you don't get the nutrients to them, they don't grow well. Its something else with your issue if they aren't growing.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with mr Gwee. Java ferns can grow in still water, but also thrive in strong currents (they are what is known as a rheotypic species, growing on the edges of streams and waterfalls in the wild).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    Let it be and see if the roots at the tips are actually plantlets, which Windelovs will develop abundantly after a while. It's one of the easiest ferns: just medium to low light and minimal care (no need CO2, fert, hugs and kisses) will do.
    Budak-Er... you hug and kiss your plants? must be really wet!

IMO low temp and good circulation is a must to grow healthy java ferns, one of the easliest plant to grow

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... I have no problem with currents for other java fern. But for winderlov (which do not occur in nature), I have had the edges turning brown when they are in the direct flow of the current. But once I move it out of the flow (or rather moved the filter outlet away), the plant started thriving.

/John

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm... din noe tat... coz for mine, those tat are under the filter doesn't look as good as those away from it...
    probably i'll try moving them away...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mmmm... didn't know requirements for java fern and winderlov are different?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Searching the net, I discovered that two 'types' of Java ferns are called as winderlov. I have both kinds in my tank, but did not realise that they are both called 'windelov.' They look so different and have very different characteristics. Can someone confirm if they are just different forms of the same thing?

One kind is like the regular java fern but with frilly tip (grows up to about a feet tall). The leaves have a leathery feel and looks quite stiff. The other kind grows like a pompom... no more than 3 or 4 inches. The fronts are lighter green and feels smoother and softer. I have always known this second kind as the winderlov.

In my experience, these mini-winderlovs seem to have quite different requirements from the regular java ferns, including those with frilly tips (which I am still not sure should be called the winderlov).

The winderlov that I know thrives in high light and placed away from the filter outlet, whereas the Java with frilly tips seem to do well with low light and don't mind strong currents.

Not sure if I am imagining things. Maybe someone who knows better can throw a more authoritative light.

/John
    Last edited by Johnc; 17th Dec 2005 at 15:20.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yah yappie; actually that was wat i meant, i could have express wrongly..

i did experience my windelov under or near my filter outlet, their tips turn brown. tried re-position, and indeed it helped

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Wow, interesting to note there are two types. Will be on the lookout for the long frilly one.

I have the regular short Windelov. Its really easy, grows faster than the Javas and gives out neat plantlets too. I must agree with you guys that too much flow doesn't seem to be good. I just have mine in an area of medium flow, away from the blasting outlet. Not too particular about light, although I love it when it bubbles profusely under good light.

Also, in my opinion, I think the leaves will not develop brown patches and start growing plantlets that soon if conditions are optimum. That is to say the leaves are not allowed to age that quickly. I find that if I did a drastic overhaul of the aquarium, and consequently water quality change, the mature leaves tend to all turn brownish and start 'making babies'. Also, I found it helpful to go over the clump and trim out ageing (browning) leaves, leaving the newly matured ones. And if you don't want to throw those trimmings ways, just leave them floating in another tank or something and they'll slowly grow plantlets. Its a long wait till they grow to a nice clump. But quite interesting little plantlets I must say. Try them attached to tips of driftwood along with java moss or something...
    Regards

MIN