Country
    Singapore

Hang on filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bros here,
    I'm currently using a hang-on filter for my 1.5feet tank. Inside the filter i only have sponge on it. I was advised that actually i should have ceramic fings and some others, to be able to cultivate those good bacteria.
    Wonder isit neccessary? If yes, kindly please advise me what else do i need to get other than the ceramic rings?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It depends very much on your bioload in that 1.5ft tank. Personally I'd have sponge and at least a few ceramic rings inside, since I like to have some biological filitration. My hang-ons always had sponge and Biohome in them. Ceramic rings prove bulky and Biohome can be "stacked", so I used them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro, is coral chips neccessary?
    heard that it do balance PH? isit true?

Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    It depends very much on your bioload in that 1.5ft tank. Personally I'd have sponge and at least a few ceramic rings inside, since I like to have some biological filitration. My hang-ons always had sponge and Biohome in them. Ceramic rings prove bulky and Biohome can be "stacked", so I used them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've never used coral chips... but they do raise pH and kH if I'm not wrong. I wouldn't use the word balance...

Why use coral chips? I rather use Seachem Equlibrium. It gives me iron calcium magnesium and various trace elements, as well as helps to maintain my kH (which in turn helps to maintain your pH).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seachem Equlibrium?
    Bro, roughly how much are they? do i just go to LFS and ask for that? hmm..might wanna drop by NA later...wonder would they have it as well?

I've never used coral chips... but they do raise pH and kH if I'm not wrong. I wouldn't use the word balance...

Why use coral chips? I rather use Seachem Equlibrium. It gives me iron calcium magnesium and various trace elements, as well as helps to maintain my kH (which in turn helps to maintain your pH).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, NA has that product. If I'm not wrong, it's about $9 a bottle.
    What if you attached a sponge to the intake of your filter and just stuffed the filter full of bio media instead? Have an extra sponge on stand by and you can just swap them every time you do your water changes, or just swap them out weekly. That way you can wash one out and still have one sponge to use. The sponge will keep bigger gunk out of the filter and cut down the need to clean the filter regularly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro,
    I do have 4 layers of sponge in the filter, then i realise that ceramic rings would also provide a better ground to cultivate those good bacteria thus i removed 2 sponge and replace them with ceramic rings

Quote Originally Posted by brianclaw
    Yup, NA has that product. If I'm not wrong, it's about $9 a bottle.
    What if you attached a sponge to the intake of your filter and just stuffed the filter full of bio media instead? Have an extra sponge on stand by and you can just swap them every time you do your water changes, or just swap them out weekly. That way you can wash one out and still have one sponge to use. The sponge will keep bigger gunk out of the filter and cut down the need to clean the filter regularly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I use the Eheim liberty hang-on (with just sponge) for my 2 ft tank with shrimps and about 15 guppies/danios/gouramis. As long as your tank isn't overcrowded, no need to spend extra $$$.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Seachem Equilibrium does not do anything to the KH.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm...in that case, i'll just stick to sponge and ceramic rings which i've got some from my brother's tank

Quote Originally Posted by budak
    I use the Eheim liberty hang-on (with just sponge) for my 2 ft tank with shrimps and about 15 guppies/danios/gouramis. As long as your tank isn't overcrowded, no need to spend extra $$$.