Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Keeping betta with holland ram and killies?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Keeping betta with holland ram and killies?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am setting up a new 2 feet tank, thought of adding a betta, a holland ram and a few killies and corydoras. What do you think of the combo? I am worried that the ram will attack the other fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gee... The combo looks ok... But I'll worry about the ram bickering with the cory cats.. But with only a single ram, it should just be some friendly bickering with not much harm done...

What killies are you getting, btw?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    rams are gentle in nature, they do squabble quite a bit but they do not much or even no harm to other fishes.....they are such beautiful fishes to keep with each of them having their own personalities.....german rams also also as nice and even have more brillant coloration than holland rams.....

jus my 2 cents
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thought of getting clown killies. do u know where i can get other killies?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Other killies can be found in bags at Ben's Wu Hu and C328... Or can ask Stormhawk for advise.

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do not keep most killies with the bettas. Bettas can be silent killers when you least expect it. I lost several fish to a lone killer betta many years ago, thats why I don't keep them in community tanks anymore.

Killies too can nip the fins of the bettas if they want to. Unless however you intend to keep the lampeyes (Poropanchax species) with the betta, then I guess should be fine. Clown Killies are fragile creatures so don't try to mix them together with the bettas.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lampeyes are killies? Didn't know that. Actually I been hoping to keep a betta in a community tank. Any other reccomendation for other fish to stay with the betta

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bettas will do fine in community tanks with tetras, smaller barbs and bottom dwelling catfish like plecos or corys, but that depends on the type of betta you are intending to keep. If they are those veiltail bettas with long trailing fins, do not keep them with nippy fish. The fins will easily be nipped.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Betta + Lampeyes = OK, no problems.

I (used to) have a female betta and a school of lampeyes. They live happily together till she died a few days ago...

A point to note, Bettas + active fish (no matter how small) is not advisable. they get freaked out easily, esp those males with long fins. Especially so with active barbs (tigers etc) and danios (zebras etc)...

Oh, in a small tank male betta + female betta = No no... Unless you have 1)lots of hiding space for the female, 2)lots of females to divert the male's attention. A 2 ft should be fine.

Another note, keep water movement down to minimal with bettas. When they grow fatter and stronger, you can try to up the flow a little more to see if they can tahan... They are not as strong a swimmer as we like to think they are...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, will keep in note. So again 1 betta with 1 ram? Will that be ok? can those 2 live side by side.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't see why not. They should be fine living together.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 13th Feb 2007 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Great, that would be fantastic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bro,

Bettas are adviced to be kept alone in a jug. The rest seems okie till any of them form as pair & when breeding time comes you will see the pair chasing the rest... Be careful... ensure got more hiding space in a small tank...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is NOT necessary to keep bettas in jars. As long as the water level in the tank is not too deep and the current is not too strong, bettas will enjoy living in a tank as much as (almost) any other fish.

Another point to note is that bettas are shy and slower moving... So, tank mates should not be those who love to bit fins/tails or those who will move too fast and eat too fast...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Okie... Noted with thanks
    Last edited by Justikanz; 13th Feb 2007 at 13:06. Reason: Remove immediate quote and please avoid using SMS language and spellings
    SAM WONG
    TRADING EMPIRE
    124H, Tembeling Road, Singapore 423623

Mobile : 93888 180
    Email : [email protected]