Country
    Singapore

Brown algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How do brown algae come about?

Last time, when my lights are beginning to fail, I noticed that brown algae will start to appear... So, I assumed that they appear because of insufficient light, given all other things constant.

Now, my 1ft office tank, which is newly set up is showing some brown algae, but only under 2-3 leaves of 1 marsilea plant...

I will fill in the form later, if there is a need... But I am more interested in why brown algae can appear and in this case, why only at this wierd location.

Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Plantbrain will be able to help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Israel
    In planted tanks I noticed brown algae, as you indicated, apearing in a low lighting tanks.
    Adding more light (or reflectors where there are non) will usually clear out the problem.

In non planted tanks, treating it with silicate absorber cleared out the problem
    (of course with vaccuming the algae etc').

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hi eyalco (friend from Israel), greetings!! welcome to AQ Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Israel
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The mentioned brown algae. I noticed that they appear only on the older leaves of the Marsilea quadrifolia... Why ah?

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Um, where? =x

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, those not brwon algae? Then what are they? The brown stuff is not the natural coloration leh...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Oh, those not brwon algae? Then what are they? The brown stuff is not the natural coloration leh...
    Then its dying.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Huh?? I see the same kind of colour on glass... Really not algae? Then how do brown algae look like?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Huh?? I see the same kind of colour on glass... Really not algae? Then how do brown algae look like?
    Seems like loss of pigment which should be NO3 issue. Add enough of it and add a tad more CO2 if the critters response is normal.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But there are fresh green leaves of the same plant... And all the other plants are growing like crazy... Hmm... Anyway, will dose nitrates as suggested...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    On the glass or the plant?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had seen similarly coloured stuff on glass and some leaves. So, I thought this is brown algae...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had seen similarly coloured stuff on glass and some leaves. So, I thought this is brown algae...
    Those leaves are of no use anyway if infection is that bad. Something is not environmently right with your tank unless you did corrections recently. The algae is a great bio-indicator of your tank conditions. You still have room for improvement if the algae is growing rapidly. The algae doesn't lie...

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops... I meant on other tanks...

Now I had never seen them in my tanks... Except on 2 of the Marsilea leaves in this tank and another 2-3 in my office tank... Everything else is growing healthily...

I was guessing maybe they were blocked from the light by the background plant that I only recently pruned away...

Possible?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i had those "brown" stuffs on my java ferns leaves too....
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If it is brown patch on the glass or thin film , it is diatom. Oto can clear fairly effective.