Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Sucks big time =/

Now I'm thinking of getting my CO2 tank hydrostatically tested... anyone can guide me through what to do when I get there?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Woah, nasty bit of luck there Terence.
    By the way, that's not a 5-Plan Tank. I don't remember them having that extra piece at the side for fitting the OHF filter. Probably some similar brand.

Don't worry you still have the other tank to play with.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Sucks big time =/

Now I'm thinking of getting my CO2 tank hydrostatically tested... anyone can guide me through what to do when I get there?
    Why? What happen to the CO2 tank?

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nothing happened to it, it's safe and dry. I just thought about this incident and then I realised my CO2 tank was also 2nd-hand... so who knows what "abuse" it might have gone through.

I don't want a repeat of this. Anyone has done hydrostatic testing before? I really need to get info, I hate going down to some industrial area and not knowing what to do.

Any of you know any tank makers? Or is it best to buy commercially?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh man...
    how does that "scratch" look like? i got scratches on my tank..hope they aren't fatal!! :s

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It started out as a scratch, then last week I noticed that it became sort of deeper, like it had fully become a deep short crack in the glass/acrylic.

I should have known... sigh. Right now the echo of the crack still scares me lol.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hm... i'll never know if the scratch got deeper.. i guess a burst tank is the worst nightmare..
    hope things are fine at your home now..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Personally, I think it is VERY important to monitor scratches. If there is a sign of them spreading, then immediately drop the water level or draw everything out. Mechanically, ANY scratch is the weakest point, together with ANY joints, of the whole structure.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fwah!! Just read that another AQ member, Weirong, had his tank burst on him! http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=16872

And Loupgarou's silicone giving way in http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=16848

We have to be constantly observant, of our tank(s) together with the tank's inhabitants. Many a times, we neglect the tank after setup and pay all our attention to observing the fish, plants and the other equipment.

Time for a change in habit.

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think tanks generally have about tat life span only. given that the silicon will start to tear off the joints. mine started to leak all over the place a month ago after water sipped through the joints.

think silicon is the main culprit for tank burst bah...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyone tot of Vinz's idea of laminating the tank? Would that help in keeping the silicone in place and preventing leaks when it happens? At least in time for the water to be lowered and the critters removed to temp quarters?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    is there such a thing as average lifespan if a tank before the silicone gives way?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Anyone tot of Vinz's idea of laminating the tank? Would that help in keeping the silicone in place and preventing leaks when it happens? At least in time for the water to be lowered and the critters removed to temp quarters?
    The laminate idea would be used to prevent tank from getting scratched. It won't hold the tank together while the tank is structurally degrading. It just be in the water's way when the tank burst. The culprit is the black silicone itself.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I got my new tank! I'm freaking surprised. My family surprises me ever so often...

It's a cheap Ocean Free glass tank though. I got it because it had exact same dimensions as the ADA 2 footers, 60cm by 30cm by 36cm

It's got rather thin silicon though, not sure if it's really well-made.

Time to dream up a scape!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aww... Your parents must have tot you are very upset over the lose of your tank... That's so sweet of them...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I got my new tank! I'm freaking surprised. My family surprises me ever so often...

It's a cheap Ocean Free glass tank though. I got it because it had exact same dimensions as the ADA 2 footers, 60cm by 30cm by 36cm

It's got rather thin silicon though, not sure if it's really well-made.

Time to dream up a scape!
    Wow your parents so understanding and loving! sweet!
    You may consider using it for vivarium/terrarium if you are not sure it's really well make... something with less water

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haa...thats good that great! haa.. i think if the same thing happened, my parents would have asked me to downgrade to a small tank.. it would have been nightmarish for them!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How bad is it? I dun wanna cause a panick... But it might be better to change a new tank or at least repair the silicone while teh tank is dry to be safe. Alternatively, you can observe the crack for a while longer and start draining when there are signs of the crack spreading. Better still, show us the crack...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fei Miao, I think it's safe since it's from Ocean Free, and I want to trust local brands

There's bracing at the top too, at the sides. My first braced tank! And I decided to go for stemmed plants in this layout, something I've never done before.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There's bracing at the top too, at the sides. My first braced tank! And I decided to go for stemmed plants in this layout, something I've never done before.
    Want Hygrophila polysperma and MM, let me know. Lots to give away...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast