Images
    Country
    Singapore

2 feet tank broke open!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just have to tell you guys about this.

It's now 1.18AM... about an hour after my tank broke.

I was lying in bed when I heard that huge crack sound, then numerous cracks, then water sloshing out.

My whole family woke up and in a flash we were all mopping/clearing the stuff from the floor. Equipment is alright, although the cheap DIY stands have to go soon. One oto didn't make it, it look like it died from shock, body all curled up like that. All the plants are in the other tank... which I pray won't do my a double "favour" by breaking also. Both are acrylic tanks.

Strangely I'm not so flustered now. There goes my hobby... parents aren't going to consent to another tank from now on.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh dear!! I hope the other fish and the electrical stuff, papers around the tank/floor is ok. And hope no cuts too...

Is it a 5 plan tank? Acrylic? That is indeed a strange incident cos acrylic would seldom crack like that...

UNLESS there is a sudden expansion/contraction caused by heat/cold or chemicals weakening the acrylic. Or someone somehow knocked on it previously without realising...

My condolenses...

No worries about getting another tank... Parents are forgetful... Esp during/after your NS... Opt for the glass tank the next time...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes it's a 5-plan tank... rather old I'd say. My grandfather gave it to me out of his "karang guni" collection.

Actually, I saw a scratch mark a few days ago. I dismissed it as a scratch... sigh.

No cuts, no fish in that tank too except for 2 otos and numerous Yamatos. Some didn't make it I guess... still trapped in the mess of gravel. Can't do anything about it. One oto died, the other is in the other tank.

Now what can I do? Haha. =/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    5 plan?? arent those glass tanks?? they may sound like plastic but that is actually thin glass sounds exactly like plastic. i think most of them tanks are made form float glass. This is exactly why i dont use old tanks.. i fear this too much.. lucky for you it is only 2ft tank..

MY 5x2x1.7 feet tank broke open oone sunday morning.. it was a nightmare!!!! the entire living room was literally a waterland...with fishes trying to survive and mulm and sand EVERYWHERE... clean up took a good 4 hrs...now the tank just sits there.. everyone that comes to my house always ask why dont fill tank... right benny?? lol..

Anyway.. sorry about the tank..but wanna go buy new tank??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Man! I'm sorry that happened, it must be a nightmare.
    I read in a post from the planted tank forum a 125gal caught fire and exploded. that is scary
    Last edited by Fei Miao; 14th Dec 2005 at 13:35.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Huh? The tank caught fire or the filter caught fire? Exploded? Wow... What did that guy keep in his tank??

Justin, 5-plan tanks are glass tanks?? But they are so scratch prone... I tot they are acrylic.. Btw, why still keep the tank when it broke? Or in the process of repair?

Many a times, we forgot that aquariums are just as dangerous, first with water and electricity mix, then with the many electrical equipment needed to run the aqauarium, then the sheer amount of water and glass needed... Check this out... Stanoyo sent it to me... http://www.break.com/articles/fishtank.html?t=4413

At least this guy know why his tank broke...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Now that you know, its not wise to use 2nd hand tanks. Better be safe that sorry. Anyway, once you start earning money yourself, you can get the tanks then.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well... I live in mild concern that one day my 6ft tank will literally explode.

It's a 2nd hand tank and it's made with tempered glass. Yes, tempered glass is harder to break.. and when it does, it shatters into tiny pellets. Safer because they are less likely to cause a fatal cut.

Unfortunately, behind those four tempered glass walls is 600 litres of water. If that glass breaks, the force of 600 litres of water is going drive the glass pellets out like a massive claymore mine...

'nuff said.

Anyway, I never got round to it, but someone suggested that I get the glass covered with the plastic sheet they use to seal car windscreens or car bonnets to prevent scratching of the paint work. Can that person tell me again what the stuff is?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sort of like laminating the tank? Think it will hold the glass if anything bad happens? If so, then it definitely is a GOOD idea... But of course provided that the lamination will not caused a loss of visual...

Anyway, I also constantly check if my tank is light tilting to one side, buldging etc... After my old 4ft had a center brace fell off, I am very scared of the tank bursting and spilling water, sand, plants and fish all over the floor. Imagine the dead stuff and the dead electrical stuff! *Shruddles*...

Can we buy fish tank insurance?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It wasn't exactly a 5-plan tank... it's something like the 5-plan type. I have read about 5-plan using "special glass" though, not acrylic. Aiya I don't know.

Sigh. And I thought I'd have a tank ready by Chirstmas to showcase.

No more 2nd-hand tanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe recieve a new tank for Christmas? Anyone buying for you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I doubt its the cost that is the issue. Its the experience of cleaning up a mess in the middle of the night that bugs his parents. It will take some time to get it off their minds.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yea... I have to wait till next year then. Meanwhile... I'll try converting those crypts to emersed form. Grr!

Here are a couple of pics of the damaged tank. The thing just split in half man... and I checked, yes, it was directly along the line of the "scratch" I saw days earlier...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    *Ouch*... I can sense the pain more now that I can see the sand/gravel...

Anyway, not the cost issue, if it is a gift, they can't refuse to have it in the house mah...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh no, hope nothing happens to you bro
    Quite a serious damage done by the "scratch".

I'm sure your parents will let you have another tank, probably bigger.
    All the best! So no Granite rocks anymore?
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Huh? The tank caught fire or the filter caught fire? Exploded? Wow... What did that guy keep in his tank??
    Yeah, I was reading the journal of this awesome 125 gallon tank, much planning went into this tank, and on page 11, something terrible happened....some electrical stuff caught fire and the tank literally exploded. i won't want to speculate what causes it but I won't want this happen to any of us, here's the link to the forum, read for yourself....
    the thread on this beautiful tank.
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/se...earchid=369672

the thread on the fire and the results
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23189

Terence, hope your parents doesn't go too hard on you.
    Last edited by Fei Miao; 14th Dec 2005 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    really quite scary when we think of the amount of stuff we put into our tanks... with the water, it alreadi very heavy... somemore we put in the substrate which adds more weight to the joints...

terence's tank looks juz like mine... now i am starting to get worried... *pray*
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My parents should be okay... it isn't the first time this happened. The last time was me leaving a airtube hanging in the tank... hours later backflow occured and 20 plus litres of water were all over the floor.

Izzat, I'm still on the lookout for granite rocks

Now I'm worried for the other tank... let's see what my father has to say. about changing the stands and probably just letting the tank sit on the floor or on a pile of wood on the floor, so to view the tanks we just sit down.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Thomas.. Yes 5-plan tanks are float glass.. and tank sits there because if i took it away..there would be a massive hole in the wall.

Vinz, i think when very large tanks burst open, its usually at the seams first.. the first place of weakness is at the silicone.. especially if the tank hasn't been used for a long time. Since yours is tempered glass, it would be stronger but the glass panes are also very heavy..... There would be more downward force acting on the water than forces sideways to propel the glass bits out. i dont think it will "shoot" out like a claymore mine. But rest assured that your place will be very very very very very very wet if it does (touchwood)...i know mine was..

Terence, hope your parents will let you get a tank soon..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ooh...That's got to suck... I only hope that nothing too expensive got damaged.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast