Images
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy where have my cherries gone?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    just threw in 10 cherries last night.......instantly, think they all went into a AMBUSH mission or wat , nv see any looming around, only manage to see 2 or 3 around.....
    this morning luggy worst, see none, dunno where they hidding.....
    my most fearful thing is they end up as supper for my 2 ever hungry bettas that even snatch the pellets meant for my panda corys.....

i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I placed 20 odd cherries into my 4ft tank and never seen them again. 2 days ago, I saw 2 of them, very red liao. Also had 20 odd Malayans, also never seen them ever after. Think these smaller shrimps will hide VERY well till either the fish are getting less or their population gets higher...

Anyway, my smaller (1ft cube) shrimp tanks also see cherries hiding very often, appearing only at dinner time... Wonder WHERE they hide...

But, of course, some will be lost to the bettas, as they are curious to try to eat anything that can fit in their mouths as you had discovered...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also experience similar probs like you all too. Just imagine i got XL malayan shrimps from 618 2 days ago, i can barely see them in my small 1.5feet tank..
    You can throw in algae wafers, then you'll see them swarming out liao...
    Last edited by kemp; 15th Dec 2005 at 13:34.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OIC.......no my mum nagging y i spend $$ buying fishes and shrimps that only know how to hide.....
    cos i grab some panda corys last week, they all found a nice hiding corner under my DW and very seldom come out

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha... I understand the agony... Spend so much money on them but never see them. Can be quite pek chek one...

Given them some time. With ample hiding spaces, cories will come out to play once they are used to the tank. So will the shrimps, eventually you will see some...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    best is to have a planted tank jux for cherries. you able to see them roaming around freely!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If conditions are ok then 10 cherry shrimp will multiply rather quickly. I went from 20 to untold hundreds in 7 months…

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Taz boy, my malayan shrimps hid very well in my 3footer too.
    They only came out more often at night and when the same tank was heavily planted, they were not easily spotted unless there was food. But usually, they'll hang around the bogwood.

If we put these cherries with yamato and malayan shrimps, will they get 'bullied' by the bigger shrimps?
    I'm thinking of adding some cherry shrimps in a 1.5feet tank.
    Tank has only moss and a large piece of bogwood.
    The only fish are about 8 big pencil fish and 2 otos.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u can try...though i heard yamatoes tend to bully cherries...
    i can't spot any cherries in my tank...hope there are still some survivors...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll move the big guys then.

By the way,
    hope you spot your cherries soon
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have Yamatos, Red-Nose and Cherries... The cherries had been hiding till now... a couple will appear now and then... So, I think it should be ok to have them together in a bigger tank... My 2 cents... Your mileage may vary...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I noticed something interesting about my cherries which i got them about 2mths back. I have a Drift wood with x-moss on one side which i put standing upright and leaning against the glass wall cos i bought too much moss and got no place else to put them after scaping (my planted tank is heavily planted)

After i put the cherries in they all went and hide in between the space of my Drift wood and the glass wall which i call their "Hideout". Then later some would come out to forage for food not wandering faraway while the rest stayed there.

Now that all my plants are fully grown in, they've all come out to forage for food and are all over the tank. I also noticed that they don't hang out in open spaces prefering to hang out in the dense leaves maybe because it makes them feel less vulnerable. But every now and then almost all of them would gather at their "Hideout" as if it's their home.

I actually wanted to remove the Drift wood cos it's an eye sore in the nicely planted tank but eventually decided to just leave it alone after constantly seeing this interesting habit of theirs.
    Last edited by aquarius; 17th Dec 2005 at 04:09.