Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    actually I never see them eat except bbs.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So when you ran out of BBS, what do you feed ? Or you can supply BBS all the way ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I think they only go for live food, never touch the dry food. I fed mine with BBS and tubifex previously.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quixotic,
    You comm them with any other fishes ? Or purely a species tank ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If I remember correctly, there are some other fishes but can't remember what. It didn't do too well.

I think it will do better on its own, or with lots of plants as cover, or for any micro food found among them in case live food is a problem.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Propably throw in some tubifex worm and hope they eats it, or that nothing eats it before them. They are realllly small and im wary of getting fishes that i can't keep. Maybe a tank with daphnia or in a shrimp tank with baby shrimp heheh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I got 6 specimens for around a week plus(kept them together as a species tank). So far I have only witnessed them taking tubifex worms. And 1 tubifex per fish is enough to suffice them for the day, i.e, 1 Indostomus paradoxus which ate 1 tubifex worm won't crave for a second helping. I shall commence my training of feeding ADP soon.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine starved rather than take dried/frozen food.

LL
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Bump for some beautiful fish. Finally able to locate some in the US. Now the question is which one?

1. Indostomus paradoxus
    2. Thai armored stickleback, just labeled as Indostomus sp.

Anyone have any idea of what species the 2nd one is? The picture from the website is quite small and I've never kept these guys before.

Anyone care to try to ID the I. sp. in the picture and also shed some info on their care? I'm considering picking some up for a 4.4 gallon (24x6.5x6.5) tank with some shrimps.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    very hard to tell the three species apart. I. paradoxus (my avatar, see http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...d.php?p=147452) from Myanmar, I. crocodilus from southern Thailand, and I. spinosa from northeastern Thailand.
    According to uncle Choy, it's rather difficult to ID these guys, so if there are no better pictures... *shrug*

Eric, don't think too much and just pick them up! Nice little fishes that is hard to come by.

Michael Schlüter used PVC pipes for hiding places and spawning them. The article seems to tie in with my expeirence that they only take live food, like cyclops, artemia, daphnia.
    http://translate.google.com/translat...omus%26hl%3Den

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Another article from Alexander Dorn.
    http://translate.google.com/translat...dorn%26hl%3Den

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks for those links. Read the second one earlier today, but that first one is new to me. I went ahead and ordered 6 I. paradoxus since the other ones were actually out of stock.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    According to a new published DNA research, it is found that Indostomus paradoxus, is a close relative of the spiny-eels. It is more closely related to synbranchiform (swamp and spiny) eels than to other gasterosteiform fishes (sticklebacks, pipefishes and their relatives).

Intrestingly, it is also suggested that the pipefishes, seahorses etc may be more closely related to gobies than they are to the sticklebacks.

Here is some information from Practical Fishkeeping
    http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u....php?news=1584
    Last edited by Quixotic; 2nd Jun 2008 at 17:44. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    i got some from a bait shop, they look nice for a while, but they only accept live food so they all died of in about 3 weeks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Got mine from Wu Hu a while back!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just to share.. i don't feed my fishes with life food.. almost 2 months ago, i bought 2 of this fishes.. after a week, they went missing and i thought they were dead..
    till a week ago, i noticed both of them swimming out.. i think either they ate the NLS pellets i fed, or they were on starvation for almost 2 months?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if your tank is heavily planted and have a good collectio of mulch amongst the vegetation, then they can easily survive on the micro-organisms.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yea, my tank quite heavily planted.. guess its time for me to buy some live food for them!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ah_ZhaN View Post
    Choy, are they capable of accepting artificial daphnia powder readily ?? Or stubborn with live food solely ?
    Erm...I've seen mine eating frozen bloodworms..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Indostomus paradoxus

Sorry to bumped up this old post... anyone had any success in breeding these?

I bought a few of these last year... i think around 6-8...

Most of the time they are hiding in my densely planted 3ft tank... sometimes i wondered if they are still there coz i cannot see them for months at a time... and the most i can see is 2-3 came out... never all at the same time...

Yesterday i saw 1 which was very bloated at the stomach... i wonder if it is pregnant? Can it be successfully bred in captivity?

I have 2 albino cory, dozen Otos, many Fire Reds shrimps, dozen amano shrimps, 4 starlight bristle, 3 Wood shrimps (2 pregnant as well)

I am wondering are they feeding the amano shrimps larvae? Do i need to seperate the indostomus for spawning?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12