Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Well an alternative would be to have a list of scientific names on a wall or something. so people like us could come in, look and then ask the owner. I'm sure he'd be able to spot "spies" if they came in regularly...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yar i guess so.

For the more common/established species, should be no problem.

Sometimes, the retailers themselves also don't know the scientific names of their imports.

Distributors wants to keep them confidential so that likelihood of successful breeding by LFS owners will be lesser, then can continue to have business.

Sigh.... If only everyone (including the business owners) could just enjoy the hobby as it is... keeping and enjoying the beauty of fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Protectionism is common and is what the WTO talks are about now...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm... i guess my suggestion on the care-sheet brings up some discussion ha..

i didn't know that ther is a concern on divulging too much information to "spies" but i guess it's unfortunate for hobbyists but we can't force them out of business either.. though having the so-called rare fish easily available to us is a good thing, it will not be a good thing for the lfs owners in the business sense when the specialty fish they have are no longer novel..

i guess, at the end of the day, it'll be good to have knowledgeable staff who is willing to assist you by verbally telling you the needs of the fish that you are interested.. and probably they won't think that you are a potential "spy" for other lfs haa..

on a side note, Ben has three new assistants when i went to his shop recently. he's now quite free with the extra help haa.. there's this young lady who is quite knowledgeable about the different fish

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh yes... Forgotten... It would be VERY good if the sales people know:

1) What fish WILL grow big and eat others. Some of them will say, 'Oh, Oscars are cute and can be kept with your tetras.', 'Red-tailed Cat? Orr, no lah, won't grow big lah.'

2) What fish WILL eat plants. 'Oh, silver dollars? Good for planted tanks.'

3) What fish do best in a mininum group of 6. 'Why not you get 2 neon tetras, 1 tiger barb and 1 zebra danio for the colour and variety?'

4) What fish will nip the fins of what, or what fish cannot be kept with what. 'Tiger barbs with your fighting fish ah? Can lah.'

5) That dyed fish is not natural. 'Buy this, more colourful. The blue one is rare.'

If I have a shop, I would refuse to sell anyone buying less than 6 of the schooling fish, issue warning for large fish or biggish fish, dun sell jumbo and dyed fish in the first place and probably run a series of classes on fishkeeping for those interested at night in the shop...

But nah, I know it is hard and almost impossible to do... But that is my hope for the LFSs...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by avant
    on a side note, Ben has three new assistants when i went to his shop recently. he's now quite free with the extra help haa.. there's this young lady who is quite knowledgeable about the different fish
    think it is important for those working in the LFS to keep fishes themselves too. like for the 3 assistant, they are all avid hobbyist. one of the guys is crazy about plecos, the girl is into planted herself and the other guy is quite knowledgeable in the different fishes in the shop.

and working in lfs has its perks... u get the fish the earliest once it arrives into the shop...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice
    think it is important for those working in the LFS to keep fishes themselves too. like for the 3 assistant, they are all avid hobbyist. one of the guys is crazy about plecos, the girl is into planted herself and the other guy is quite knowledgeable in the different fishes in the shop.

and working in lfs has its perks... u get the fish the earliest once it arrives into the shop...
    ah...so you know the 3 of them personally? they are working for fun or on a long term basis? yah..it's good to have hobbyists.. added knowledge helps..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Definatly. And you'll never have to worry about your helpers trying to sell people "fish from badis island"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by avant
    ah...so you know the 3 of them personally? they are working for fun or on a long term basis? yah..it's good to have hobbyists.. added knowledge helps..
    only talked to them when i am there to look at fishes or buy tub worms. they are very much part time there. coming in on different days. but not sure if they are there on a long term basis. was nice talking to them.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow....that's cool! Hard to find hobbyist who want to work in a LFS even for fun..... Agree that they have perks working in LFS like getting to choose fishes before customers and such. Your comments are very appreciated....

Hey benny! You're quite right. I'm actually having intentions to open a LFS for mainly few reasons....for the love of fish keeping and to share the joy & ease of fish keeping to the public...want to make sure people who buy the fishes gets the appropriate education too!! so kind of doing a small survey with you experts here!! hehe
    Last edited by benny; 23rd Dec 2005 at 01:54. Reason: spelling
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, that's what I want to do sometime in the future too! Good luck to you in fulfilling your dream!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm a hobbyist
    I wanna work at an LFS for fun...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12