Country
    Singapore

one day happy

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've done it again.

Having stabilised my shrimp tank from my last massacre after planting some C. balansae, I was starting to see eggs on the CRS and the bees, tigers, zebras etc are feeding well and growing BIG. The perfect time for itchy fingers to return.

Managed to get a bunch of C. pymaea and C. parva. from Ecoculture after a looooong wait Split them up, washed them good, planted them and...

Next morning, CRS, bees, tigers gone.

One day later, 6 wood shrimps also gone, yamatos are dying and cherries too.

And the melting pygmaea passed on to the usteriana and tonkinensis...

Sigh.... There's hope yet... somehow...

Here's wishing all a blessed christmas and a peaceful new year.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Shame....probably casualties from residual pesticide.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm.. does that mean that we need to quarantine plants as well??!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    at least rinse them properly before planting... some farms do apply substantial doses of fertilisers and even pesticides/herbicides.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But he did say that he washed them good... =/

Bad luck there.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I did wash them good this time first by running water in the pail. And that is after splitting and washing off the rockwool under the tap. Then to finish, I left them soaking in clean tap water. Think I've done enough washing already.

I know better than to repeat my last mistake of not washing plants.

I'm sure it is the crypt melt that got them again.

Only the shrimps are affected and not the fish - even the tiny brigittae are unaffected. Nothing to do with luck here, I think rather, the mild toxin of a crypt is strong enough to affect the shrimps.

Affected shrimps behave like they're drunk. Try to swim upwards but will sink down after a while. Most will hang at the surface like their gills are burnt from ammonia. So I think it is due to the melting leaves.

This time around, instead of changing water like I did in my last round, I dumped in lots of hornwort, hoping that will suck up the ammonia I "could" have stirred up from the planting, although AP's ammonia test showed absolute zero.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So does this unfortunate incident confirmed that crypts are not good for shrimp tanks? Once they start to melt, the shrimps will kena poisoned? Quite scary...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cherry Shrimps dying

What crypt is this?
    After I planted these crypts along with some C.parva, my shrimps are DYING FAST................!
    I just did a 80% water change from water from my 3feet.

Here goes my shrimplets

I washed those plants well before I planted too! It only took 4hrs to see all my shrimps dying after adding them
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Weird issue...what harms shrimps but not fish? Copper? The LFS using algaecide?

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know what the LFS uses, but these new stocked crypts were in the same tank as the C.parva, which I saw in the same tank for about a week.

I planted the same crypts today in both tanks and my GIANT yamato (1.5inch) was also behaving like the cherry shrimps.. like they have fits and jumping crazily in the tank.

I did a 30% water change for the 3 footer and used the water from the 3feet to do a 80% for my cherry shrimp tank

I read this thread before and forgot all about it .

NO more crypts for me.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    weird leh... could it be only a specific crypt?
    my c. wendtii doesn't affect my shrimps when i planted it or when it is melting...

one shrimp even got pregnant...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice
    weird leh... could it be only a specific crypt?
    my c. wendtii doesn't affect my shrimps when i planted it or when it is melting...

one shrimp even got pregnant...
    Same here..I planted ONLY C.wendtii and NO harm to my shrimps. My C.wendtii also melting and recovering and nothing happend to the fauna too.

These other crypts mentioned above killing my shrimps slowing...
    Don't know what to do with them now..
    Paid over 12bucks for all of them and now killing my favourite shrimps...EEEks
    Juice them?
    Give to someone? (not a good idea)
    Or feed the rubbish bin?
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How about using it for an experiment to clear all the doubts that we have?
    got a bag of malayan shrimps, and test it?
    i know it might sound cruel... but guess it is the only way to know if it is the parva that is killing it...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice
    How about using it for an experiment to clear all the doubts that we have?
    got a bag of malayan shrimps, and test it?
    i know it might sound cruel... but guess it is the only way to know if it is the parva that is killing it...
    Well... I left the C.parva in my 3footer.
    Only removed that unidentified crypt.

No casulties found so far (maybe they're dead behind the dense Vals and Blyxa, but those shrimps I could spot are behaving normal.

By the way, I also bought 15 Malayan shrimps today from NA too and added another 5 yamatos before I planted.

If you want to do your experiment, you can have that unidentified crypt and some of the C.parva from me over the weekends. If I find dead shrimps in my 3footer for the next few days, I'll juice the crypts before flushing them.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Chyrl... I just talked about this in your thread and it happened...

But your last statement just got me bursting into laughter... Oops, sorry...

I think I am believing that crypts are dangerous for shrimp tanks... Think I will remove the willisii from my office shrimp tank liao...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Chyrl... I just talked about this in your thread and it happened...

But your last statement just got me bursting into laughter... Oops, sorry...

I think I am believing that crypts are dangerous for shrimp tanks... Think I will remove the willisii from my office shrimp tank liao...
    *sigh*....I'm going to do more water change from tap water and dose with AquaPlus conditioner.

My moods swing like a roller coaster watching these pregnant cherry shrimps having fits...

I advise you to remove your crypts carefully if you do so.. Don't know what remaining melting roots or leaves will do to your beloved shrimps, especially the delicate ones.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just threw in a few frogbits and hornworts. Hope they'll suck up whatever was not supposed to be there.. ***fingers crossed***
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Does Aquaplus water conditioner removes heavy metals?

By the way, there is one other possible reason, which is the substrate. Leeching base fertilizers should be toxic to the shrimps, especially when you stirred them when replanting. Anerobic areas are also known to release hydrogen sulphite gas into the water column too.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Does Aquaplus water conditioner removes heavy metals?

By the way, there is one other possible reason, which is the substrate. Leeching base fertilizers should be toxic to the shrimps, especially when you stirred them when replanting. Anerobic areas are also known to release hydrogen sulphite gas into the water column too.

Cheers,
    I don't have base fertilizers in this tank at all. Only lapis sand inserted with some Ocean Free Root Monster when I set it up about 3-4 weeks ago. I've added some Ocean Free Root stick before I planted the crypts.

This tank is only approx 3 weeks old, so how could the substrate turn anerobic when I only had moss in the tank before planting the Blyxa last week?

I've added more gravel in the tank, but they are the same new gravel which I've washed and rinsed 3 times before adding on top of the layer.

Could it be the root sticks? I suspect its the crypts more than the root sticks though. There's no way I can remove the root sticks now since I planted them randomly into the 2inches thick substrate.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In that case, it is most likely to be the plants. Washing them thoroughly in water is insufficient. Best to soak them in a small pail of water with a concentrated dose of water conditioners that removes heavy metals and any nitrogenous compounds such as NO2, NO3, NH3, NH4.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast