Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The destruction of paradise on earth!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

The destruction of paradise on earth!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    On my way to Sibu to celebrate the Christmas, I decided to pay a short visit to this secret location at Maradong, where a large population of Crypt. bullosa is found. I am revisiting the site which I came before in the early of year 2005. However, I was stunned when I reached the spot. The whole lowland forest was gone!!! Logging roads are built all over the area....fallen trees all over the place!!! Crystal clear jungle stream became a polluted stream. EVERYTHING USED TO BE A LIVING PARADISE IS GONE!!!
    An old Iban who was collecting fern leaf on the site told that the logging activity was started 2 or 3 months ago.

MORE on this link:

http://www.ibanorum.netfirms.com/xmassibu.htm

New logging road:

Crypt. bullosa "forced" to live in muddy stream:

All the Crypt. are not dying or melting, just covered by mud:

Last edited by kuching; 17th Jan 2006 at 07:15.
    Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    It used to be a beautiful place.....

And,It's gone......thanks to those people issue the logging permit & those selfish who loves to destroy the Mother Nature & destroy our planet:

bullosa is not dying or melt....but for how long?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Exploring interior of Betong, a clear water river:

Crypt. striolata (submerged):

Durin bridge is alomost completed!!! (Lanang bridge too)

Durin bridge's site:

Christians youth in Sibu are singing Christmas song for the sunday event. (rehearsal)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    See....the site is used to be like this:

They are growing in a beautiful & clear water stream:

(before the destruction)

(before the destruction)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What a shame!!! It's really heart wrenching to see these prestine habitats wrecked to bits for some logs to make furnitures and cupboards.

Is there any association in Kuching where you can bring these pictures to?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Were these areas designated "Hutam Simpanan" or private lands? I think one party which could help might be the Malayan Nature Society...

Last week in Johor, we found logging activities (supposedly authorised) in one Hutan Simpanan too!!

kuching, do you have info on whether the area is a designated Hutan Persimpanan, a national park, private land, state land, etc??? I am writing to the MNS for advice.
    Last edited by budak; 26th Dec 2005 at 10:21.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    In Sarawak, the big boss to manage & control the logging activity is forestry dept.. They supposed to protect the forest but they are the one who issue the permit. I have seen peat swamp forests being "destroyed" & saw the tag of "property of forestry dept." on the logs. Do u think politicians or Govt. dept. will "protect" the forests???

In fact, I have seen so many destruction of rain forests before this....I just keep quiet all the time as I don't want go to jail for bringing up the issue. I didn't publish those pix in my website cos I feel shame on this. Remember who is the boss over here? Not me.....but some rich & powerful people that I don't want to mention.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah, a absolute shame.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kuching
    In Sarawak, the big boss to manage & control the logging activity is forestry dept.. They supposed to protect the forest but they are the one who issue the permit. I have seen peat swamp forests being "destroyed" & saw the tag of "property of forestry dept." on the logs. Do u think politicians or Govt. dept. will "protect" the forests???

In fact, I have seen so many destruction of rain forests before this....I just keep quiet all the time as I don't want go to jail for bringing up the issue. I didn't publish those pix in my website cos I feel shame on this. Remember who is the boss over here? Not me.....but some rich & powerful people that I don't want to mention.
    Yah, its a real shame. Humans vs nature habitats. We are slowly but surely killing off the earth. It may come someday that we will come to regret it with a painful death. (Global warming sure is one...what is happening at the poles of the earth is a very big issue.).

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's times like this i feel we have the responsibility to preserve as much of the natural world as possible in our own homes... Make space for your mother, if we loose everything she has out there at least we've still got bits and pieces of it in our homes. Who knows? a day may come when we can bring all those bits and pieces back together and create a new rainforest.

It's the least we can do for something so magnificent and timeless.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sad to say, there is really nothing we can do...unless someone comes up with a fantastic way of technology that replaces all the need for these raw materials...we are way too primitive...

in the asian society, we do not practise recycling, nor do we practice waste management, because we are just too "busy" to care...educate our own young to save and preserve..thats the only good thing..but reality still persists, some part of the forests still have to be sacrificed to persist our living. However, the downfall is that as much as Gaia gives to us, we give little to protect her..this is the part of the equation i think we can actually actively contribute to balance the taking and the giving.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There will come a day when the earth mother b*tch slaps us all... So set aside a room or even a corner of your house. Set up a tank, Keep a plant. Give a little back for all you've taken.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I think "The day after tomorrow" will be happened in the future....just don't know when it will be happened. Most of the people in this world still do not understand what is global warming!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by kuching
    I think "The day after tomorrow" will be happened in the future....just don't know when it will be happened. Most of the people in this world still do not understand what is global warming!!!
    not to sound mean or cold...but personally, some part of me is really hoping it comes actually.. as soon as possible...i think some people really need to be b!tch slapped for them to wake up...i hope mother nature does it soon..the only problem is taht we cannot choose where she chooses to strike first..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you look at the glacial and sea level record over the last couple of million years, I'm not sure if anything we did or did not do will ULTIMATELY make a difference.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    well..thats kinda true as well..but in that couple of million years...There were also a lot of natural disasters we dont know of, a lot less humans, a lot of species being wiped out and a lot of time for the earth to "recover". The probable fact is that there are so many of us now that the detrimental effects we leave are exponential. If we are speaking on a scale of millions of years then the wipe out of say........ the ENTIRE singapore or malaysia or North american population is considered peanuts. Either way.. its less humans.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nevermind lah, in a million years human would probably be extinct and a new plant family will come to occupy the niche vacated by your Cryptocoryne
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The only place in Borneo where deforestation is not serious is Brunei. The rest (Malaysian & Indonesian Borneo) are ......VERY TERRIBLE!!!

Well....my mission in 2006 is to photograph as many pix. as possible once I found a secret garden. I will include the ugly pix. as well !!!(the deforestation site)

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    interestingly, just wondering, without any intended malice, dont we all destroy the habitat by buying from those farmers who in turn 'destroy' this habitats? I mean, how much are these bullosa worth? With all respect, dont we also take some of these? Hmm just another few cents worth through all these slating of others and the government...

However i m for nature saving, please do not misunderstand, however, sometimes its good to think of our actions too .
    Some things are just way out of our jurisdiction, however, anything is worth a shot, as we do our bit for this wonderful earth that God has created.

Btw, its pristine. Think you made a typo typing too fast there Benny
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipians
    interestingly, just wondering, without any intended malice, dont we all destroy the habitat by buying from those farmers who in turn 'destroy' this habitats? I mean, how much are these bullosa worth? With all respect, dont we also take some of these? Hmm just another few cents worth through all these slating of others and the government...

However i m for nature saving, please do not misunderstand, however, sometimes its good to think of our actions too .
    Some things are just way out of our jurisdiction, however, anything is worth a shot, as we do our bit for this wonderful earth that God has created.

Btw, its pristine. Think you made a typo typing too fast there Benny
    Ya, i agreed that everyone is contributing to the deforestation in indirect way. In fact, deforestation is about the destruction of almost everything in the jungle, not just the bullosa. But for those rich & powerful people, they do it in direct way & in BIG scale & they don't care much of the consequences....a lot of places in any parts of Borneo became an "open" space.....no more giant trees....wildlife is getting less....and when the weather is getting hot & hotter, then we'll wait for the doom day.
    Last edited by kuching; 29th Dec 2005 at 18:33.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast