Images
    Country
    Singapore

surface film

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I had a surface film problem where there is a layer of oily stuff on the water surface. I have been advised to get a surface skimmer but had resisted because (1) I giam kana don't want to spend unnecessary $$ (2) too much plumbing already around the tank.

Then someone mentioned that fishes like platy and molly eats these surface films. So I dropped two juvenile swordtails in the tank, and I just realised, my water surface is crystal clear, even after 10 days without water change (OK I normally change every week but this week busy lah)!

So just to let everyone knows, platy does work! [:] [:] [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kekekee.. thks for the info.. but sometimes, some of us dun wanna have platy in the tank.. so we end up having a skimmer instead

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hwchoy, wait till u see the swordtail in action. My swordtail can reverse very, very quickly. It also likes 2 stick 2 one of my Buenos Aires tetras, the one which is larger than the rest. Also, it's habits is 2 corner any tetras with black lines so my black neon n penguin tetra are the regular victims. Dunno if urs behave the same.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    heh BFG, I only use very small juveniles, about 1.5cm only, just 2 in a 80cm tank. I have a pond so I will return the big ones or give them away, and scoop new juveniles to do the job [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Reasons why I prefer skimmer over platies/mollies or swordtails.

1. These livebearers prefer neutral to slight alkali water. My tank is acidic. Not so suitable.

2. Livebearers will look weird with my south american fishes.

3. Not a permanent solution. Have to get new fishes whenever they get to big. Not too mention if they die for watever reasons also need to replace them. So price wise it will cost the same if not cheaper.

4. Need to find a foster home for the fish when they get too big.

5. Bioload wasted. Rather put in some more south american fishies in.

Juz my 2 cents worth
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]