Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Any relationship between shelter and coloration of fishes?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Any relationship between shelter and coloration of fishes?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Folks,

Some time ago, I chatted with a LFS owner, he told me that according to his experience, fishes tends to develop better coloration, be it stripes, spots or whatever if they are not provided with hiding spots.

The object of our discussion in the case was a tiger shovelnose cat, Pseudoplatystoma tigrinum (not to be confused with its more expensive cousin Merodontotus tigrinus)

His cat was housed in a tank along with many other large fishes and had no decent cover, but it's stripes are really quite nicely developed.

My question is, is this really the case for all, if not most fishes?

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Generally, yes. By providing hiding places for the fish, they tend to be more confident and less scared and stressed. They will be swimming more often in the open and display better coloration, which includes spots/stripes/patterns etc.

That's why most fish do (and look) well in planted tanks as the plants provide shelter for most fish.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good discussion topic bossteck!

I believe there are a variety of factors that can contribute to the coloration of the fishes..

01. Water quality
    02. pH of the water - certain species will show better coloration in acidic water
    03. Diet
    04. Color/pressence of substrate and ambient conditions of the aquarium
    05. Type and color of lighthing for the tank (eg. 3000K vs 8000K)
    06. Provision of "accessories" such as caves or plants to make the fishes feel comfortable
    07. Presence of female/male specimen - colors during mating season are spectacular!

Usually, a combination of the above factors contribute to the fantastic coloration of fishes we see in the tank once they have settled down.

Can anyone share their experience? I know dwarf cichlid keepers like to use the pH technique.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    It's all about providing the fish a comfortable environment IMO.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by bossteck
    Hi Folks,

Some time ago, I chatted with a LFS owner, he told me that according to his experience, fishes tends to develop better coloration, be it stripes, spots or whatever if they are not provided with hiding spots.

The object of our discussion in the case was a tiger shovelnose cat, Pseudoplatystoma tigrinum (not to be confused with its more expensive cousin Merodontotus tigrinus)

His cat was housed in a tank along with many other large fishes and had no decent cover, but it's stripes are really quite nicely developed.

My question is, is this really the case for all, if not most fishes?

Cheers
    i think people need to RE-READ the post..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, then I change my answer to No. But the rest (explanation) remains.

They NEED the security of knowing they CAN hide IF they need to to show their best colour...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I tend to agree with you guys rather than the LFS owner.
    I too think that a proper diet, good water parameters, provision of the 'right' substrate etc plays a more important role than simply the lack of hiding spaces.

But I am keen to hear from others who feel otherwise.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For me it will be proper diet, good water parameters and dark coloured substrate (if don't have stick black colour oyama at the bottom of the tank though it'll not be as good as a dark substrate).
    As for lights... it'll be what i call the icing on the cake. With the right coloured lights sets it'll further enhance the blue, red etc colours of the fish.