Country
    China
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    See my avatar!!!
    You never change your avatar for don't know how many years already...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTree
    You never change your avatar for don't know how many years already...
    Deep down in my heart, I'm a killifish fan!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Clownkillies are surface dwellers... so if your tank have a wooden bracket (NA tanks) or hood and you like to have the water level at its highest...you wun be able to see them straight on...need to peep upwards to see them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As sad as can be, I lost 4 pairs of clown killies(Pseudepiplatys annulatus).

However, my last pair managed to settle down after i introduced ketapang leaves. I observed that the male starts tailing the female all the time, is this normal ?

Regards,
    zhan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Normal, mine used to do that, stuck to the female all the time.

They will do their "business" in and around the moss. Is there any moss in your tank? If you intend to breed them, best to be left in their own tank and lots of moss.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic
    Normal, mine used to do that, stuck to the female all the time.

They will do their "business" in and around the moss. Is there any moss in your tank? If you intend to breed them, best to be left in their own tank and lots of moss.
    yesh there are moss in my tank. I had serious casualties of them previously, it seems like they bond closer after the unknown casualty.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have got 3 previously and lost 2 when they decided to jump out of my shrimp tank. Now left a lonely one in my shrimp tank now. No issue with shrimps in my tank, at least I did not see them eat my shrimps.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had some for a few months and they grew quite big. Then later i noticed that they become listless and the males' colour become dull than
    Last edited by Justikanz; 17th Aug 2006 at 02:41.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by diki
    I have got 3 previously and lost 2 when they decided to jump out of my shrimp tank. Now left a lonely one in my shrimp tank now. No issue with shrimps in my tank, at least I did not see them eat my shrimps.
    Maybe some floating plants like duckweeds and salvina natans might prevent that ? They tend to hide alot under my floating plants when I first introduced them into my tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius
    I had some for a few months and they grew quite big. Then later i noticed that they become listless and the males' colour become dull than
    Hmm... My only male's colour is getting more 'colourful' but not as active as my only female, which swims alot more actively in hunt of food. The male only consume food which float on water surface so far(kind of attitude huh ).

I'm so glad they finally settled down and feed alredy.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Hong Kong

Pseudepiplatys (Aplochelius) annulatus

My Aplochelius annulatus

Last edited by benny; 26th Aug 2006 at 09:05.
    apistoworld for the world
    http://www.apistoworldhk.com
    TEL : (852)-98432173
    EMAIL / MSN : [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Aplochelius annulatus is no longer valid. The valid name should be Pseudepiplatys annulatus and these are killies, not characins.

Nice colours.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow....very nice colours of the male.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Woah, I just rescued a clown killie which jumped out of tank. However, one patch of the black stripes kinda stick to my palm, will the black patch recover ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That patch is probably part of its scales. The patch may or may not recover. If its still OK then you shouldn't have a problem.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually I beg to differ, I use ADA so pH is about 5.4. I have successfully spawn 3 generations until I gave them up. Quite easy fish and they feed readily on flakes. They like to stay near water surface and you can always see little shining lights on the top of their heads.

My experience is that frogbits help to calm them down as well as allow them to spawn there. Male fishes are usually rare in a single brood. Say male-female ratio is about 1:4
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow andrew, that's really comforting to know. However, I am currently left with a pair, and the male keep chasing the female more intensely than before.

I've added surface movement to my water, thus all my duckweeds all being circulated around. My pair are seldom seen to 'park' at water surface.

The male seems to be very territorial and is not shy to take food from me. The female on the other hand, keeps hiding from the male.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ya, males always chase females, just like humans. If you are always thinking of having multiple girlfriends, you should let your single male have the same fun by putting more females. That will increase chances of fertilization.

Try not to have too much surface movement. What I did was that I deliberately left a corner or side flooded with frogbits. Just leave them there, the fishes will go spawn onto the roots.

Very nice fish, IMO, if they dive alittle more frequently, they are shrimp's best friends.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Take note, this fishes are jumpers when introduced into a new tank, they do not take well to sudden bright lights too well at the start.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi everyone this is my first post here. Glad to find some information on Clown killie from this forum. i had 2 for my shrimp tank to get rid of cyclops and they manage to breed from there.

i had about 15 on hands after a few weeks and shifted them out to another tank for fear that they will start eating my shrimplets. I believe they will breed easily given the right condition. i have yet to have any case of them jumping out of my uncovered tank. they love floating plants and if you want to breed them i believe you will need to have floating plants for them to lay eggs on.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 25th Sep 2006 at 13:21.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They like to lay their eggs on fine leaved plants and roots of floating plants. However the fry can be very sensitive. If they are happy they will start breeding. The problem comes in when the larger fry turn cannibalistic, which they normally are, and start to pick on the newborns.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast