Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Guys, got this info below from http://www.mongabay.com
    You should surfing to that site if need infomation, pretty good site IMHO.

Clown Killie, Rocket Panchax
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus
    SYN : Aplocheilusannulatus, Epiplatys annulatus, Haplochilus annulatus
    PD : An elongated species with a flattened head and a straight back profile.* Thebody coloration is yellow-beige with four broad, black-brown transverse bands.* The pelvic, pectoral, and anal finsare black-brown with red edgings.*The dorsal fin is also brown-black, although it has a blue fringe.* The caudal penuncle is red, while therest of this fin are laterally striped red and turquoise.* The outer parts are turquoise.* The iris of the eye is blue.
    SIZE : To 1.5" (4 cm)
    SS : None
    HAB : West Africa; inhabits small rainforest and savanna streams in Guinea, Sierra Leone,and Liberia.
    S : top
    TANK : A 20" (50 cm), 10 gallon (38 L) tank is sufficient.* The rear of the tank should be denselyplanted and a partial cover of floating plants is suggested.* A peat substrate is preferred, although not required.*
    WATER : pH 5-7 (6.0), 2-12 dH (6), 75-79°F (24-26°C)
    SB : A peaceful surface-dwelling species that can be combined with other small fish.*
    SC : Small catfish, tetras, Rivulus species
    FOOD : Live; Artemia,Cyclops, Drosophila , Daphnia , Tubifex ; Flakes
    SEX : Males are larger with more colorful fins.*
    B : A small tank is recommended for breeding.* Use water with a pH from 5-5.5, dH 1-3,79-82°F (26-28°C). P.annulatus is an "egg-hanger" which attaches its eggsto fine leafed plants and the roots of floating plants.*The tiny eggs are susceptible bacterial infections and hatch after10-14.*The fry are very small and difficult to rear.* They grow slowly even when fed with micro-foods and Infusoria.***
    BP : 8.*Breeding is very difficult, perhaps imitating the rainy season is the best method to inducespawning.
    R : The coloration of the fins varies depending on the geographical race.* This species is rare in the wild.
    DC : 7.*A delicate species that requires well-maintained water with frequent partial water changes.
    IME, my first batch (7 panchax, 6 females & 1 male) 5 females all died because stressed, I observed their death because of being chased by the male. So they tend to hide, got no food, their colour became duller, than finally died. The only one female survivor I think because it's the hardiest female, although male fish hit her, she still eat the food (flakes), & tends to ignore the male.

Just to add, the "evil" male I got has more beautiful colour than any clown kiliies pictures in this post , it has longer dorsal fins with beautiful blue edge. Maybe because it already reached great maturity...

A month ago I bought another batch, this time I bought 4 females & 1 male. I add them with the survivor female, so I separate the "evil" male to another tank.

Now after acclimation, the new male start to chase after females. I observe all females conditions are still good so not intend to move the male yet, because I don't want to lose this cute fishes anymore... Note that I never find jumper between them (I have moss in my tank, & no floating plants, my tank is usual 30 cm Nisso nano tank).

Now, my question is : if you guys said males chase after females behaviour is normal, then I should let alone the "new" male right? But I'm still afraid in adding the "evil" male among them, should I let him alone always? Pity if I can't breed this "beautiful evil" though...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 30th Sep 2006 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Clown Killies

Hi,

I got myself some clown killies and 2 of them are female killies. They seems to exhibit some mating behaviour over the last few days. I know that they are egg hanger/scatters, how do i know that whether they have lay their eggs ( since it is very small) already or can i separate the pair now ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You don't need to seperate your males and females till the eggs are are hatched, they normally need some moss to lay their eggs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry. I think my question is unclear. I mean to separate the pair (male and female) to elsewhere. As there are shrimps in the same tank, i'm worried that they will eat up the eggs, but i'm not sure they have already laid the eggs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    mobile2007, I have merged your thread with an old thread about clown killies.

Hmm... not really sure on the actual concern but...

If they have already laid their eggs, that would be too late to move them right? I mean, moving them would still leave the eggs for the shrimps in the tank right?

But if you wish to breed them in future, then moving them to their own tank with lots of moss would help.

Back track and read post #3, where there is a link to a local hobbyist who managed to breed them. This will give you an idea of how to setup the breeding tank and how to take care of the fries.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Trying my best to take some shots with the killies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The male looks to be in good shape.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha, 2 of them already kill in action.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 7th Nov 2007 at 20:05. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some observations for clown killie :

- They are surface dwellers, but healthy ones will tend to seek out food in the gravel/substrate. Also, look for those who swim about, even they stay ontop.

- Harmless to shrimps. Larger shrimps might pose a threat to them as they are small in size. Don't keep them with shrimps if you want to breed them ( There is a link on breeding them in the first few posts)

- Non schooling. Males will chase after/away each other, agressive female do that too. Sometimes quite gay, 2 males swim side by side.

- normal water should be alright.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought 8 of them but now left with just 5. Could not find bodies i feed them only dry fish pellets. They take it a little and their colors not so nice yet. I think I wil try live food soon.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 12th Nov 2007 at 10:12. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought 10 pieces quite some time back and is left with 3pcs, 1 male and 2 females. Not too long ago i bought 5 pieces to make a total of 4 males and 4 females. But after about 2 months, one by one start to die and now i'm left with the original three.

It can't be caused by stress at LFS because it started to die about 2 months after i bought them and i don't see any disease like dropsy or velvet prior to their deaths and they were feeding and swimming normally then suddenly

It's very frustrating because don't seem to be able to keep more in my tank. Was wondering is there a maximum no that can be kept per sq inch of water surface area since they are surface fishes?

Tank size : 3ft x 1.5 x 1.5
    Kh : 3dkh
    Low tech planted tank
    Feeding regime : daily with hikari micro pellets

BTW the three have been with me for almost a year.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 4th Jan 2008 at 00:32. Reason: Spelling: 'cos'
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123