Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Greenish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My Tank was alrite for 4 week with few plants growing healthy and tall reaching the top with 5 SAE enjoying themselves. But last nite the water is turning greenish but the plants and SAE are all ok. I have changed the water last nite, but this morning i see the greenish is back. Is it the light is on too long. I have 2 x 32w light on for 10 hrs each day. Is there anything can be done? Can medicine aavalible ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how big is the tank? could be 2 possibilities, 1st green water, 2nd could be jus cloudy... do yr tank get direct sunlight?, wats yr fertilization regiment like?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Simon, there is no direct sunlight. 3.5 ft length with 2 x 32wts for 10hrs per day with CO2, with approx 1 bubble per sec. The basis setup was JBL fertilier and sand.

Currently I have switch off the CO2 and the light for this morning.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    doesnt sound like green water.. perharps just cloudy? the green effect could be the reflection of light from the plants.. I could be wrong.. if its cloudy water then alittle patience will solve it.. if its green water, the only way i know is UV filter and the 'blackout' method, which is done by covering the tank with a black cloth and left without light for a couple of days... see what the rest thinks of it first

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Somebody had ever resolved the problem by cleaning the filter... was it you DEA? Anyway, it's not a major problem, juz continue to do water change at an interval of maybe 3 days.... if possible lah. DO NOT panic and start putting in medication when at this point is not necessary.

juz my 2 cent worth
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you all. I will continue to change the water and the filter and monitor the progress. Is it advisable to add in any more SAE

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    happened to me once... right after I cleaned the filter. I suspect a nutrient bloom but did not test the water parameter. Suggest you reduce light (but not blackout yet), no liquid fert (perhaps continue with CO2 to help plants consume nutrient), and try to put in lots of frogbits.

Oh and 50% water change daily. Mine went away as suddenly as it came. Still not sure why, perhaps just the new filter settling in.

And take Sherwin's advice DON'T PANIC.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HI,how does a frogbit looks like...I am still in OJT .....thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, I don't have a pic. But it is just a floating plant that grows damn fast so mopping up all the nutrient in the water column. every other week I have to throw away a lot. Unfortunately last week just threw away a lot, but surely someone can spare some in the forum...
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    frogbits? i can spare some.. threw out a lot this morning.. but from the looks of it.. still can supply to max. 2 person.. but i must say first.. first come first serve.. PM me... and if 2 person is getting it.. then the portion is very little..

p.s... the first person to PM will get the choice of choosing the amt.. a lot or little.. hehehe[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it's green water
    the starting stage
    just do more water changes, clean out your filter, and add more filter floss, compact it if you can
    should go away in a week if you don't add any more fert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kel, can I have some. I stay at Bukit Panjang. SMS me at 96373213.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It sounds like green water(suspended algae). In my experience, it can reappear as fast as 3 hours after water change. Usually it is due to NH3 in the water.

Black out the tank for 3-4 days. Water change everyday. Stop feeding for a while. Fish should be able to tahan few days without feeding.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have had it appear with zero NH3, low nitrates
    it would appear that's not the determining factor
    they seem to like decomposing material
    clearing the filter would be a good bet

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/25/2002 10:55:27 PM

i have had it appear with zero NH3, low nitrates
    it would appear that's not the determining factor
    they seem to like decomposing material
    clearing the filter would be a good bet

----------------
    I read it somewhere that usually the NH3 got depleted so fast by the algae/plants/bacteria it is sometimes too late to detect it when the green water has already appeared.

Decomposing materials gives out urea (something like NH3). Algae like this. My experience is when I disturb the substrate too much. The Urea/NH3 gets into the water. It also happened when my tank was still young. The plants and filter are still not very establish to quickly deplete the NH3 in the water. I found that when my tank matures, the green water problem do not come back so easily.

BTW, William, do you use anything like Jobes Stick or Horti tabs in your substrate? These stuff contains Urea as N source. Potential green water starter esp when tank is still young.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    in other words, william, basically clean out your filter, change your water, and cut down on light
    that should do the trick

if you're anxious to see it go away, you can use flocculants along with compacted filter floss to remove it, but you'll have to clear away the trapped algae, or it'll rot and cause the same problems again

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    u hv PM, william...[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    green water isn't necessarily bad.

they soak up your excess nutrients, thus when you water change, you are removing those excess nutrients.

by blacking out the tank, you kill the algae and release all the nutrients back into your water, where something more evil can take over the tank (BBA)

---------
    heh..food for thought.

if you get yourself a uv filter, you will probably never get ick or greenwater..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Green water bad for plants. Cuts down available light & nutrients for plants.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    look at it this way
    i'd much rather have green water than any other form of algae

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast