Images
    Country
    Singapore

Tips on using ST-E2 and 420EX

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys... recently bought the 2 items above and playing around with taking fish shots...

however I noticed that I consistently get overexposed shots of the fishes... could it be that I held the flash too close to the fish when taking the shots? What I did in such cases is to change the shutter speed and reduced the aperture opening. Is this the right way? Any practical tips on how to maximize the use of these items?

Sorry for so many questions.. just eager to see how to improve my shots...
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    where you put your flash? you using full manual mode? have you checked your flash compensation on the camera (which model).

yes you can increased the shutter speed, but keep the aperture to an appropriate value (8-20) depending on the working distance and size of fish, because you want to have enough DOF.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    where you put your flash? you using full manual mode? have you checked your flash compensation on the camera (which model).

yes you can increased the shutter speed, but keep the aperture to an appropriate value (8-20) depending on the working distance and size of fish, because you want to have enough DOF.
    I tried holding the flash above the fish, above the camera. Also tried once tying it above the tank.

My camera is 350D. When I set the flash compensation, would it change the strength flash as well when used wirelessly? Doesn't it just assume that all shots would be taken at the smallest focal length and thus tries to flash the furthest distance? Not sure if I remembered reading this correctly. Maybe I should go check this out tonight.

Aperture is usually kept 8 and above. I do get enough DOF, but it seems that I need to change my taking technique by taking into consideration the external flash's light.
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    when you adjust the flash compensation it is communicated to the flash. bear in mind I am using it with a 550EX but probably behaves the same.

when used wirelessly, the flash (again referring to the 550EX) goes into manual mode. you can select the focal length you want but if you use 24mm it will give a wider cone of coverage. also check if you are using the flash with the diffuser out.

I use a plastic grid (buy from C32 to hold the flash above the water.

here you can see what I mean…

Last edited by hwchoy; 12th Jan 2006 at 18:59.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm learning from the thread but Choy's difformis (It is Hygrophila difformis, right? ) tank sure is distracting... Nice!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Joe,

Show us a picture and the EXIF data for each of the 2 set up.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    I'm learning from the thread but Choy's difformis (It is Hygrophila difformis, right? ) tank sure is distracting... Nice!

I use it to create a "curtan" for the backdrop and to encourage the fish to swim to the front. normally the base should be fairly bare but I have not been trimming.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    I use a plastic grid (buy from C32 to hold the flash above the water.

here you can see what I mean…

Choy, now I get a visual of how you do it. I think you had previously mentioned it to me before but I keep wondering how best to place the flash above the tank. I tried taping it to the light and it almost fell into the water once... I also see that you guys use a small tank for taking fishes. Think I shall go C328 and buy a small tank to setup for fish taking.

Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Joe,

Show us a picture and the EXIF data for each of the 2 set up.

Cheers,
    Benny, I do not get what you mean by the 2 setups?
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by baranne
    Benny, I do not get what you mean by the 2 setups?
    Well you did say...

I tried holding the flash above the fish, above the camera. Also tried once tying it above the tank.
    So I assume you have at least 2 sets of over exposed pictures..

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh I see... I think I have deleted those photos... let me try to get them again...
    Cheers,
    Joe