Images
    Country
    Singapore

Warning on keeping AND releasing alien species

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I don't quite agree with the total ban on ALL herps in Singapore, but for some species, it's for very justifiable reasons.

Here is the case of one fellow who is trying to claim ignorance for keeping AND releasing an alligator snapping turtle into the reservoir. This species of turtle is a native of North America and reaches nearly a metre long, with jaws that can snap off a man's arm and a huge appetite. From his earlier posts, it's clear he knows the animal is a potentially dangerous one.

As far as I am concerned, he's got what he deserved and ignorance is no excuse in these cases. Of course, I think most here in AQ know that already.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why are there SO many people that are so irresponsible?? The comments mentioned actually supported the blog owner and they scolded the guy who tipped off!

Think it is time for Singaporeans to be seriously educated on the enironment...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so have you spoken up in his blog? I have done so.

btw is this someone we know around the forums? any nicks?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haiz... But well, he deserved it...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 11th Jan 2006 at 17:34.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some may think it's easy to be a whistle-blower. But in the online world, identities can be traced pretty easily and those who are more offended by 'whistle blowing' than the actual wrong-doing that prompted the whistle blowing are wont to engage in intense attacks on the integrity and even wellbeing of so-called 'busybodies' or betrayers.

In Singapore, there is also an organisation called ACRES (http://www.acres.org.sg/) which conducts operations to unearth problem pets and wildlife-related matters. Those who may hesitate to whistle blow outrightly may consider contacting them for help with difficult cases.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What a FOOLish thing to do! Releasing a snapping turtle into Yishun reservoir. How the hell did it arrive into Singapore in the 1st place? Hope the public is being warned. Can't imagine if someone being injured by that turtle.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is that turtle caught?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Is that turtle caught?
    need a good lure. put the culprit on a leash and swim him in the reservoir without a trunk.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can't catch it with a lure. That turtle is an ambush predator. Maybe if the lure happen to fall into it's mouth......Man, if someone were to go into the reservoir and happen that his feet is within a few inches of the turtle mouth.....confirm break liao! Wait, let me correct myself, that turtle doesn't own a mouth but is actually like a beak with 2 sharp edge on it's upper and lower jaw. Must take it out immediately.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BFG, didnt quite catch the 'lure' joke :P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I caught it but my info was for the general audience, not related to the joke.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Reading those comments by either his friends or supporters, I just feel that they only know about boozing and cheating 7-11 of its mash potatoes...

Brainless fools... Problem juveniles...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I almost laugh to death by reading all those senseless comments. But come to think of it, they are all junvenile, time for them to wake up.....

How can that Chris claimed he dun know that snapper is illegal? Look at the size of it!
    He must be damn crazy to release it in an open reservoir.

Pls go inform any of ur friend that frequent Yishun reservoir to stay clear of the water area.

Cheers
    JC
    Last edited by benny; 11th Jan 2006 at 00:38.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But Yishun got reservoir meh?
    Issit seletar reservoir?

I wonder how on earth did that boy not gotten bitten by the snapper.
    It is really very big!
    Last edited by valice; 11th Jan 2006 at 00:17. Reason: wrong spelling... =)
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure leh. Think its seletar reservoir but since it so closed to Yishun, he must have thought its Yishun Reservoir.

JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like a bunch of foul mouthed juvenile shop lifting delinquents. Mindless idiots. Hope someone else reports them to the police for shoplifting too. All the freaking evidence are posted there for the police and 7 eleven to act on them.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    OMG!!!HAAHAHA...This guy is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo mis-informed.. 15-26inches in carapace length for an adult alligator turtle??HAHAHAHAHA DEWD!! THATS WAAAAAAY TOO SMALL!!

But on a side note.. these guys are pretty easy to catch.. spent some time working with their cousins..the regular snapping turtle... caught and released them every single day of the nesting season while i was overseas.. And they are not aggressive as people think..unless you DAMN suay kick its face or something when swimming..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ahem... I happen to be younger than all of them? but yes, they're mindblowingly beng. And from NUS! what on earth is wrong with the system?

Hope it all turns out well for the turtle though... I'd hate to see the AVA kill it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there's nothing wrong with the system. its in their genes. unfortunately for NUS they are not allowed to reject an applicant due to his bengosity.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bah! and I have to settle for trying to SAE my way into poly...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast