Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to prevent Rotala from growing upwards?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How to prevent Rotala from growing upwards?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have seen rotala bending foward in mid-water over some rock structures. Very nice. The question is how to make it bend forward and not grow upwards?
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:
    http://www.freewebs.com/cbong/index.htm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Rotala rotundifolia tends to do that readily. Maybe lowering the light level (by adding some floating plants) could help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am under the impression that the rotundifolia needs high light to crawl or bend instead of shooting upwards... I noticed that when it hits the water surface, it will crawl along the surface with red leaves... That's why I suspect it needs high light to crawl...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Really, I am also very curious why some rotala "crawl". I have been looking for an answer for a year plus, after i saw Sam Yick's display tank at marine parade.

Mine will just shoot up and the most a few inches before the surface and they then grow laterally. I tried many methods suggested by forumers like "training them, i.e.cutting then down...Yes, they will grow thicker after sometime but the crawling effect is different. If you look at the rear of sam yick's tank, some of the stems actually crawl on the gravel!

Would it be temp? fert regime? lights? gravel heating cable? diff species? planting method??
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    blast them with light and co2.