Country
    Singapore

Slope in scape

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all...

I just had a last minute rescape and hate the results. Looks very messy and immediately had an idea to re-rescape... But as CNY is really getting near, I think I will just let the current scape be as it is and let the plants grow nicer before 'operating' on them again after the CNY period.

Now, for the new scape in mind, I want to have a sloping effect. As I only have gravel similar to, or maybe it is, lapis sand, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to have a good slope. Thus I have some questions...

1) What can I add to the gravel to help it maintain the slope? I am thinking of quite a big slope... Something like what Kingfisher Aquarium had done for the showtank's new scape...

2) If I am to add some soil/substrate etc, how to go about doing it? I had heard horror stories of horribly cloudy water caused by certain substrates being disturbed by water...

3) Will it be detrimental to have a VERY thick substrate? Due to the intended slope, that part of the substrate will be VERY thick (very probably more than 6" thick)... Gentle slopes are not dramatic enough...

4) Would there be detrimental effects if I ever need to rescape after mixing substrates?

5) Is there any other way of achieving the sloping effect if the above fail?

Thanks in advance for the help...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO sinking some rocks of even DW(terracing) helps maintain the slope, having plants that have strong roots will help holding the slope in place.
    As to having thick substrate and adding soil/gravel; lower the water during water-change would help, cloudy water normally will clear within a few days.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Place thick inert materials where you want the slope to be. Plastic materials, like tubs, will be good. Then just top up with lapis! Easily done!
    No need for thick substrate lah... Waste $$$ and make the tank heavy....
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Won't the water in the tubs become anerobic after a while and might cause substrate problems later? Other materials that can sink would also make tank heavy leh...

Anyway, what kind of 'soil' should I use to mix with the lapis to create a slope that stays as a slope, even after some time?

Planning to have helferi as the plant of choice on the slope...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Won't the water in the tubs become anerobic after a while and might cause substrate problems later? Other materials that can sink would also make tank heavy leh...

Anyway, what kind of 'soil' should I use to mix with the lapis to create a slope that stays as a slope, even after some time?

Planning to have helferi as the plant of choice on the slope...
    No no no, turn the container over. Or if you are really afraid, get those "lock-n-lock" containers. Put some small stones to sink them and voila! Ready slopes!

Once you get this in place, any substrate can be used.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... I still can't quite get it into my thick skull... Won't that be as good as getting rocks to 'hold up the slope'? Also, that still does not answer the question of how to maintain the slope and prevent 'erosion'/levelling which will expose the ugly plastic... But I quite get the idea of saving money on buying substrate material... Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... Looks like a really thick skull to me. Kidding!
    Let me find time to do up a simple diagram. Then it should be clear.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, that's me... Thanks for the help!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Slope the sand up as best as you can, and imho, try to have very little sand in the foreground. Imagine a sort of right angle triangle, literally.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But is there a need to combine some soil like material with the sand to hold the slope? If so, can recommend what to use?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Um, I don't know but I've seen a picture where Amano has absurdly sloped sand. I admit, it's difficult to slope with Lapis sand.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi these are two pics of my newly done 1 ft cubes, features a little sloping of sand. I do that by using stones as a support to prevent them from slipping off

Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Phillipians, what are you mixing as the substrate in the first tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you can try driftwood? Those straight, not very nice ones? And maybe try to work it into the overall scape? It might hold up some of the sand... But it would also not give you the slope effect, instead it would probably be a step effect...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    heh, sharp eyes therejustikanz, its lapis 'mount' with ada base or can say ada foreground

Best is to use some stones to support the slope you are creating, i tried without using stones..... with water they tend to wash down
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the pic was taken really fast, will get a better pic and post it tml for you to have a better look, i ll post as a new thread tml, meanwhile can see my 2 ft tankl and give comments as i hope to improve my tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Probably using slates for multiple level terracing would hold the steep slope that you need. Have some pictures in my home PC. Let me upload later evening. Not sure which LFS sells plastic slates or rock slates.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Slate wall pics
    Attached Images Attached Images