Thread: automatic Fertilizer dosing pump

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Didn't want to bother with such a short supply of ferts and always refilling. At it's current settings my macro pump doses 150 mL of solution daily and the micro pump doses 10 mL of solution daily (both controlled by their own individual timers). You can basically use any size reservoir that you want. I usually refill the bottle every 10 days or so. You can stretch this time out even longer with a larger reservoir, but I didn't want to clutter the space underneath the stand.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Eric, mind me asking what type of pumps u using and what is their flowrate? U configured it using a timer running for how long per day?

Thanks
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ruud
    Y have try bigger syringe (20 ML) and its works fine.
    There are more on this site and all they works!!

Sorry for the English, i can read but no write
    Welcome Ruud. Don't worry about your english we aren't better. As long we we understand what you mean it's good enough

Feedback Score
    Country
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by spinex
    Welcome Ruud. Don't worry about your english we aren't better. As long we we understand what you mean it's good enough
    Thanks bigsmile,

What I wonder myself why not the concentration makes stronger this way you has to dose less per day and you can work with a smaller needle/syringe

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Not a problem, JC. I'm using APT peristaltic pumps right now.

http://www.aptinstruments.com/Mercha...ory_Code=SP100

I have them with the 30 rpm motors and 1.6mm ID, which supposedly gives me 1.5mL of flowrate per minute. I did a test to make sure that was the case and it's actually faster than that. For the macros I tested them to see how long it took for the pump to dump 150mL of solution into the tank and it came out to be an hour or so. On the micros side, I only needed 10mL of solution, so the pump for that shut off sooner than that. They're only on for about 4 minutes.

Both sets of pumps are on their own dedicated timers and you can actually just pick up different size tubing to vary the flowrate. One of my buddies has his configured for top off also.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibn
    Not a problem, JC. I'm using APT peristaltic pumps right now.

http://www.aptinstruments.com/Mercha...ory_Code=SP100

I have them with the 30 rpm motors and 1.6mm ID, which supposedly gives me 1.5mL of flowrate per minute. I did a test to make sure that was the case and it's actually faster than that. For the macros I tested them to see how long it took for the pump to dump 150mL of solution into the tank and it came out to be an hour or so. On the micros side, I only needed 10mL of solution, so the pump for that shut off sooner than that. They're only on for about 4 minutes.

Both sets of pumps are on their own dedicated timers and you can actually just pick up different size tubing to vary the flowrate. One of my buddies has his configured for top off also.
    Hi ,

Few questions need to ask you :
    a) Do you DIY your casing for the bare bone pump, or purchase the complete with casing ?
    b) what you recommend the type of tubing for fert dosing , which withstand NPK and micro ?
    c) what the number of hours run before the tubing will be worn out ?
    d) is there a shelf life for the tubing ?
    e) how the MTBF for the pump ?
    f) is there any height issue where the pump must be placed if fix below the tank ?
    g) how do you ensure the solution is mixed properly before each dose as the fert sediment will sentle at the bottom over time ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by neon
    Hi ,

Few questions need to ask you :
    a) Do you DIY your casing for the bare bone pump, or purchase the complete with casing ?
    b) what you recommend the type of tubing for fert dosing , which withstand NPK and micro ?
    c) what the number of hours run before the tubing will be worn out ?
    d) is there a shelf life for the tubing ?
    e) how the MTBF for the pump ?
    f) is there any height issue where the pump must be placed if fix below the tank ?
    g) how do you ensure the solution is mixed properly before each dose as the fert sediment will sentle at the bottom over time ?
    Sorry, but just got back so here are some answers to your questions.

a) I just use the barebones OEM pumps. The casing isn't needed, unless you want to make it look nice. I just use a screw to attach the pump onto the inside of my stand.
    b) I got some industrial grade norprene from the mfg. where I got the pumps from (APT)
    c) Not quite sure. A friend of mine has been using his for slightly more than 2 years without any problems.
    d) Not that I'm aware of. They're cheap to replace even if it breaks down after awhile.
    e) MTBF?
    f) No height issue that I've seen. My pump is about 4 feet (1.2m) from the top of the tank, where it's dosed.
    g) You can keep the solution suspended if you used add another hole of the cap and use an aerator inside. I don't think it matters, but it helps if you're wondering.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibn
    Sorry, but just got back so here are some answers to your questions.

a) I just use the barebones OEM pumps. The casing isn't needed, unless you want to make it look nice. I just use a screw to attach the pump onto the inside of my stand.
    b) I got some industrial grade norprene from the mfg. where I got the pumps from (APT)
    c) Not quite sure. A friend of mine has been using his for slightly more than 2 years without any problems.
    d) Not that I'm aware of. They're cheap to replace even if it breaks down after awhile.
    e) MTBF?
    f) No height issue that I've seen. My pump is about 4 feet (1.2m) from the top of the tank, where it's dosed.
    g) You can keep the solution suspended if you used add another hole of the cap and use an aerator inside. I don't think it matters, but it helps if you're wondering.
    Really tempted to get this type of pump which I have been eyeing for over a year.

Also thinking of DIY with the following concept , not pretty but may be practical :
    a) get container with screw lid , drill 1 hole on the lid for hose . Put the container on top of the tank bracing
    b) drill another hole at the side and silicon a short hose at this hole. Position this hole close to the lid.
    c) put a small pump into the tank and connect the output from this pump with a hose and connect to the container lid and silicon.
    d) put all the require dosage of fert into the container , be it powder or liquid type.
    f) connect the pump to a timer. Once the pump is power on, the water will pump into the container and the water will mix with the fert and water will overflow thru the 2nd hole back to the tank. Let the pump run for 10mins it should have mixed most the fert and back to the tank. Water will remain in the container for the next dosing simply add the fert into the container again.

Disadvantage :
    1) one dose
    2) may not pretty
    3) non consecutive dose due to limited container during holiday trip

May be useful :
    1) one for micro and one for NPK. Just throw in the fert into the container every two days. No need to manual mix and throw into the tank.
    2) may be useful for only one dose during holiday trip

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Sounds like it could work, but it's a lot of trouble for single doses. It'll be easier to just dry dose the tank and the micros via solution on a daily basis.

The reason why I picked up those pumps was so that it would dose for me on a daily basis instead of me having to touch it. The container for the macros is enough to hold a 10 day supply and the container for the micros has enough solution to last at least a month (doses 10mL daily and the container has about 1000mL of solution). I just mix the macros every week and I'm set (a friend of mine uses 2 gallon containers so he doesn't have to mix ferts for a long time).
    Eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    But if u premixed a big quantity of macro, wun u get a lot of residue sitting on the bottom of the bottle?

JC

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Nope, not at all actually. There's very little that settles out of solution. For larger containers then I would go with having a powerhead to keep it mixed, but otherwise, you don't need it.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I've got an Aqua-medic dosing pump to dose my macros and is thinking of getting the eheim auto doser for my micro unless I can find a bargain dosing pump again.

Thus will like to check, how much solution can the eheim auto doser hold?

Thanks
    JC

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    The reservoir on the Eheim liquidoser is rather small. The reservoir will hold 80 mL of solution. For micros, it'll work since you're not dumping the same amount of micros into the tank as you would macros.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by solonavi
    I've got an Aqua-medic dosing pump to dose my macros and is thinking of getting the eheim auto doser for my micro unless I can find a bargain dosing pump again.

Thus will like to check, how much solution can the eheim auto doser hold?

Thanks
    JC
    I have this Eheim doser. 70-75ml max for the container.

How much did u pay for the Aqua Medic dosing ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I got a re-used unit for >$100.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    if there are more people interested y not we get a bulk order for the aqua medic doing unit? i'm interested in getting 2 units too.one for micros and one for macros

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Why not a normal small 150L/H pump? Include a valve, hook it up to a digital timer, calibrate its pump volume in 1 min and do the neccesary calculations for the fert reservoir. I'm planning to use my 81L spare tank as the fert reservoir. I haven't yet tested how slowly I can make the pump flow while still remaining consistent, but 50L/H should be possible, and with that volume,the 81L fert reservoir should last 14 weeks! Even if the fert dosing frequency is upped to 8 times daily, the reservoir should still last at least a week. Comments?
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Even a 150L/hr pump running for only 1 min, it will be still be 2.5L which is kinda alot for nutrients dosing.

JC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dilute your fert reservoir, increase the pumping height, tighten the valve, use narrow tubing, I'm sure you could have thought of those too. Oh, and make sure the output mouth is above the water level of the tank. Main thing I dun like is the cost of a digital timer considering the wattage it is used for.

Actually, considering how accurate water clocks can get, if we do a electricity-less dripwise doser using airline tubes and plastic air valves dripping constantly at say 10 drops per minute, the total volume water dripped is only 2.52L per week assuming 40 drops=1ml. But then the fert may crystallize and block the airline opening, so we would have to dangle the tube under the water surface. Counting the fertilization rate into the tank would then entail a mechanism pretty much like the CO2 bubble counter in reverse, but requiring at least a 2.5L container.
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If u plan to dilute such a big amount, maybe its better to consider doing it with top-up (due to evaporation).

I've tried drip methods during my marine days, imho, its just not reliable enough cos the pressure will reduce as the water level drop in the container but is a cheap alternative method.

Cheers
    JC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12