Images
    Country
    Singapore

Silly questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Eh, please allow me to ask some silly questions ah... My knowledge of such topic is as good as primary school student... Me still beginner...

1) What is the size of a decent digital pic you guys would recommend? As in the bytes and pixels...

2) How many pixels (minimum) should a pic be for developing to 4R paper? 5R? 8R?

3) I often see pics of fish/shrimps taken VERY closed up. The thing is, with limited lens, can I take the pic at my best magnification and then crop to get the animal to appear big and closed up? I would think that would mean taking the pic AT LEAST at 'L' size and then cropping to AT LEAST 4R size... Correct?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    as an example, the pix I give the the magazines which they print into around quarter and half A4 size, is 2272×1704 pixels.

very important too is your compression level selected in the JPEG. At low compression, the image can be printed at a larger size compared with another image (with the same pixel resolution) with a higher compression.
    Last edited by hwchoy; 19th Jan 2006 at 19:06.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    1) What is the size of a decent digital pic you guys would recommend? As in the bytes and pixels...

2) How many pixels (minimum) should a pic be for developing to 4R paper? 5R? 8R?

3) I often see pics of fish/shrimps taken VERY closed up. The thing is, with limited lens, can I take the pic at my best magnification and then crop to get the animal to appear big and closed up? I would think that would mean taking the pic AT LEAST at 'L' size and then cropping to AT LEAST 4R size...
    1) I shoot at the largest possble resolution. Gives me more freedom to crop if necessary. If not, then I just size it down for the web etc.

2) For 4R picture, you should just 300 dpi for maximun optimal quality. This is about 1800 X 1200 pixels. So, just take the inches measurement on each side and multiply by 300. (e.g. 8R = 8 X 300 by 10 X 300 = 2400 X 3000 pixels)

3) Your 105 mm macro can take very close up pictures of fishes already. What do you have in mind?

CHeers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Okies.

Err, Seen the clown killies I'd shot? Shot almost with the lens touching the glass leh... Fish still appear small. So, I was thinking of shooting L size and then cropping so the fish can appear bigger, something similar to what you and Choy can do.

Fish in my 4ft tank looked even smaller...

But I still wonder how I did Gan's Bosemann Rainbow that I cannot repeat with my fish...

Well, could me just me lah...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah dey! You need to shoot with a smaller tank!

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But if it is not possible, then can do the cropping method?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    shoot with the highest resolution, and in RAW!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    But if it is not possible, then can do the cropping method?
    Can. If you are happy with the final resolution and sharpness.

Cheers,