Images
    Country
    Singapore

Effects of fertilisers on shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I understand that you need about 10ppm of NO3 and 2ppm of Phosphate for a high maintenance tank but i'm worried that it'll kill my tiger and cherry shrimps.
    Even if i "acclaimatise" them slowly by increasing the NO3 slowly, won't it be detrimatal to the shrimps over the long term since i'll need to maintain NO3 at least 10ppm and Phosphate at 2ppm?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada
    nope. Nitrate isn`t very deadly until it gets to high levels. If you`re using inorganic ferts to maintain that, they`re even less deadly. I often maintain up to 40ppm without problems.

Phosphate isn`t a problem either.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ditto....folks all over the whole that grow plants have no issues with shrimps. They make great hiding places/homes for shrimps.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius
    I understand that you need about 10ppm of NO3 and 2ppm of Phosphate for a high maintenance tank but i'm worried that it'll kill my tiger and cherry shrimps.
    Even if i "acclaimatise" them slowly by increasing the NO3 slowly, won't it be detrimatal to the shrimps over the long term since i'll need to maintain NO3 at least 10ppm and Phosphate at 2ppm?
    I acclaimatise my shrimp for less than 10 mins in my tank with 50ppm of NO3 measured and the shrimps are okay !

10ppm and Phosphate 2ppm is okay because i dosing using EI also. I always believe a good planted tank will be good enough for shrimps too. In fact they look much better in a well maintained tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Its usually low O2 and NH3 that bugs them and not so much of NO3 (unless grossly overdose and you do not do large water changes.).

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by spinex
    I acclaimatise my shrimp for less than 10 mins in my tank with 50ppm of NO3 measured and the shrimps are okay !

10ppm and Phosphate 2ppm is okay because i dosing using EI also. I always believe a good planted tank will be good enough for shrimps too. In fact they look much better in a well maintained tank.
    What shrimp is it? Yamato? CRS?

JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by solonavi
    What shrimp is it? Yamato? CRS?

JC
    CRS, diamond and cherries

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by spinex

I was initially concerned cos i read somewhere in the forum that shrimps are sensitive to high NO3 and also becos i'm keeping the more expensive and more "difficult" to keep shrimps.

Thanks guys for the assurances. I'll have to agree that my cherry and tiger shrimps look absolutely fantastic with my well estabilished and heavily planted tank! The colour of my cherry shrimps are very very red! Too bad don't have a camera to take pics of my shrimps to share with you all.

I must say that doing the EI method is really good cos the fishes, shrimps and plants are doing very well. The only thing is waste alot of water. But i guess the visually pleasing setup makes it really worth it.