Images
    Country
    Singapore

Tiger lily leaves rotting/disintegrating

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My tiger lily leaves are either rotting or disintegrating. I still cannot confirm if it is caused by not enough nutrients or by my fishes.

2 ft planted tank setup:
    Ehiem 2213
    55W PL light
    DYI fan
    Lapis sand
    Tiger lily
    Java fern on driftwood
    Java moss on driftwood & taiwan moss on driftwood
    Hair grass
    MM
    10 rummy nose
    1 dwarf molly
    6 guppies
    13 cherry barb
    5 malayan shrimps
    1 oto

Anyone can advice? Thanks. I do agree that my oto does bit the leaves sometimes (got holes on the leaves). But the leaves more like rot from th edges.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe u can add what type of fert u are using or are u not uising any fert.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pictures will help alot (clear properly taken ones), and also let us know whether the rest of your plants are doing well or not.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok. Will go back and take a picture of the tiger lilies and also the brand of liquid fert that I'm using.

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would categorise tiger leaves, in any given tank, at any one time, as follows:
    i) leave buds
    ii) up-and-coming leaves (young leaves)
    iii) floating leaves
    iv) not-so-young leaves
    v) spent leaves (sometimes = rotting leaves)

Perhaps the leaves are rotting and disintegrating simply because they have come full circle?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have attached the pictures of the tiger lilies that are having this problem. I have cut off most of the rotten leaves to prevent poluting the tank. Since the leaves are not so old, can they be considered as spend leaves? I do have leave buds and up-and-coming leaves growing from the lilies but cannot see from the pictures that I have attached. Any comments anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks bad. I read somewhere that Lotuses need good fertilisation through roots. Perhaps a stick of Root Monster or Ferka's Rosetta will help it recover.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No CO2? Back off on the light if no CO2 is being used and stop doing the water changes. (15w x 2 of NO FL should do it.)

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm is the RTL newly planted ?
    cos whenever i replant my RTL, such things will happen, but it is only temp, not sure whether yours is the same as well...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi diki,

You might want to do a few things:

1. Check the roots to see whether if there is any rot. Trim away the rotting parts and replant.

2. Make sure the plant is planted properly. Leave the crown of the plants near the surface of the substrate and not deeply buried.

3. Give ample fertilisation. This can be simply done by insert a fertiliser tab or stick (those with NPK) near the root of the plant.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bclee
    3. Give ample fertilisation. This can be simply done by insert a fertiliser tab or stick (those with NPK) near the root of the plant.

BC
    I second this one.
    A stick or two of Ocean Free root monsters should do the trick, assuming inadequate fertilisation is the cause of premature rotting. I also tend to believe having a daylight spectrum tube (at least one of 3 tubes) made the difference in my case (I once had a similar problem).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all your advice.

PeterGwee, I only have 1 x 2 ft 15W FL light at home as spare. But don't think it is bright enough. May do up my DIY CO2 to see if it helps.

samuelgoh, the RTL was replanted recently due to this problem. However, this is the first time I got this problem after keeping them for a while (except the very red RTL which are bought about a month back). Hope they grow well again.

bclee & elmike & |squee|, thanks for your suggestions. I do not have base fert in my lapis sand and now that u have mentioned it, I would try to put in some Ocean Free root monsters later since I don't have any right now. Might get some at JE when I drop by soon. I did plant the crown above the sand. Will go back check the roots. Previously replanting the roots looks ok. I did cut them shorter before replanting them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    when u said planting the 'crown' above the sand, did u mean the one that look like a seed?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by sonique
    when u said planting the 'crown' above the sand, did u mean the one that look like a seed?
    No... the part of the plant where the petioles grow out from that looks like a crown.

No need to be totally above the sand. Slightly buried is ok... as long as near the surface of the substrate.

BC

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    N issue ? It could be...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    seems that ur leaves are pointing up....maybe not sufficient lights... as far as i know, these plants like a lot of lights.. I use JBL 7 balls to put at its roots...cut the damage leaves, the small ones will grow after that...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by diki
    Thanks for all your advice.

samuelgoh, the RTL was replanted recently due to this problem. However, this is the first time I got this problem after keeping them for a while (except the very red RTL which are bought about a month back). Hope they grow well again.
    it will! give it a few weeks, it shld be back to optimum.
    occasionally i do cut my plantlets and replant them, so this kinda happens to me all the time

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession
    seems that ur leaves are pointing up....maybe not sufficient lights... as far as i know, these plants like a lot of lights.. I use JBL 7 balls to put at its roots...cut the damage leaves, the small ones will grow after that...
    I don't think so. I'm using the Magnum II 55W PL lighting for them. Should provide enough lights. I did cut the rotten leaves. But since so many affected, almost botak now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelgoh
    it will! give it a few weeks, it shld be back to optimum.
    occasionally i do cut my plantlets and replant them, so this kinda happens to me all the time
    Thanks. I have also put in the root monster beside the RTL yesterday (only free on that day). Hopefully they are ok now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by diki
    Thanks. I have also put in the root monster beside the RTL yesterday (only free on that day). Hopefully they are ok now.
    let us know ur results.
    i put root monster for my RTL too, and they really become MMONSTER!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast